Sponsored

Considering switch to JT

blackrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Bright White
Currently considering trading my Ram 1500 and 2020 JLUR in. Would consolidate down to a JT Mojave. I LOVE my JLUR, sky one touch top is one of my all time favorite features. I need a truck for work and have the ability to trade in the jeep for essentially what I bought it for. Thoughts? Anyone here made this move? If so how is it working for you?
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
It depends on your needs. You 'need' a truck for work, what does that entail? We were looking to replace my wife's Suburban, but the towing capacity of the JT was borderline for our camper. I have a utility trailer I hook to the Wrangler when I need to do truck things, which is not that often.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
We have both JLU and JT. I’m sure there’s variation but they drive very differently. Wrangler is tighter and “racier,” JT floats and wallows but has softer ride. JT steering was worse and JLU was perfect/tight, but I think that could be random.
JT tightened up with drop brackets bc I haven’t taken the time to get the new steering box.
I wanted the JLU for a long time and at the last minute decided to get a JT so I could fit more kids crap back there for weekends and trips. My wife getting a JLU was just impulse purchase but she likes it.
In the end I do love my truck and use the extra space.
I use a hard rolling cover and Yakima rack that fits in the t-slot rails.
Starting over I think I’d sacrifice a little front bed space and get a retractable hard cover with slots and put rails on again… or just go with a hard shell but I don’t like that look as much.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, as mentioned above: it depends what kind of work you need the truck to do.

Gladiator is cool, but it doesn’t have nearly the work truck capability of a Ram 1500.

I like Gladiator a lot, but I don’t need a truck. JT’s extra length alone would make me miss the maneuverability of my JL.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I've been wrestling with a similar question. I've got a 19 Ram 1500 and my wife dailies the Jeep. I love driving the Jeep so much, it'd be nice to make the switch. The JT engine options just kill it for me, but a 4xe or 392 would be much more interesting.

The Ram is a much better road trip vehicle, it can tow real loads, and I haven't dealt with a midsized truck bed for over 20 years.

Just a note for wheeling, with the Mojave I believe you lose the front locker and the 4:1 Tcase that comes with the Rubi.

Edit: Damn, now that I think about the diesel, you have me on Build and Price again, lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Currently considering trading my Ram 1500 and 2020 JLUR in. Would consolidate down to a JT Mojave. I LOVE my JLUR, sky one touch top is one of my all time favorite features. I need a truck for work and have the ability to trade in the jeep for essentially what I bought it for. Thoughts? Anyone here made this move? If so how is it working for you?
After a YJ, two JKUs, and a JLU... I will never own a Wrangler again. When Jeep says the JT is "100% Jeep and 100% truck" they aren't kidding. I do full size truck work with mine all the time and it handles it wonderfully, but it also steals attention at car shows and can take me on the trails to recover my ATV when I bury it.

It's classified as a 1/2 ton, and shares rear frame and suspension design with the Ram 1500. I have found that nobody understands what the Gladiator really is. Trust me, it's ALL truck from the rear doors back.

Get a JT and never look back.

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
Hey Blackrock,

First question; what do you need/use a truck for? A lot of JT owners seem to feel disappointed by the truck aspect of the JT. It is a competitor to the Tacoma, Ranger, Colorado, etc. so if those trucks are enough, it will be fine. Also, I wouldn’t consider their upper end in towing and capacity.

Second question; what do you use the Jeep for? If it is anything like rock crawling then keep your JLUR. The difference in break over and departure angle are significant without a big lift on the JT. However if your off-roading is more trails, bobbing through the desert or overlanding then the JT may be a good solution. The longer wheelbase give it stability.

I have a JT Mojave, my wife has a Rubicon. I have also owned a few trucks. The JT is long wheelbase wrangler with an open back. It is not a full size truck that can do Jeep things.

If you need to tow more than a boat, keep the Ram.

If you do decide to go with the JT and need Truckness, then go with a Sport S, 3.6 and max tow package.

See you in the wild

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
I've been wrestling with a similar question. I've got a 19 Ram 1500 and my wife dailies the Jeep. I love driving the Jeep so much, it'd be nice to make the switch. The JT engine options just kill it for me, but a 4xe or 392 would be much more interesting.

The Ram is a much better road trip vehicle, it can tow real loads, and I haven't dealt with a midsized truck bed for over 20 years.

Just a note for wheeling, with the Mojave I believe you lose the front locker and the 4:1 Tcase that comes with the Rubi.

Edit: Damn, now that I think about the diesel, you have me on Build and Price again, lol.
Yep, no front locker. But damn that suspension is nice. I’ve never needed a front locker and never felt limited on the trail. At least by the lockers… break over and departure angle, yes! Lol, skid plates and trailer hitch save my ass regularly.

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
JT's are great on the trails. There are a few I go out with and they kill it.
If it meets all the specs of what you need from a truck then I say go for it. I would get one in a heartbeat if they put a 392 in it.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The JT is looong.
6" longer than a Tacoma short bed, 8" shorter than a Tacoma long bed. Fits perfectly within dimensions of everything else in the class.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I liked my JL more than my JT. It was better offroad and it felt wider / more spacious inside. The JT is more stable due to the longer wheelbase and I like using the bed to haul anything I need. I think it will be better for camping trips.

The main reason I got rid of my JL was how terrible the manual trans felt compared to the auto. I used that as an excuse to trade.

They both have their pros and cons. I use the bed more than I go offroad.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
The JT is not a truck. In fact anything with less than a 6' bed is not considered a truck. The JT was introduced as a marketing ploy to meet he demand of those who are overloading their vehicles for the "overlanding" craze that has taken over the world.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
JT's are great on the trails. There are a few I go out with and they kill it.
If it meets all the specs of what you need from a truck then I say go for it. I would get one in a heartbeat if they put a 392 in it.
I have never once in my life seen a JT on anything other than mellow trails and open desert. It's always a 2 door JL or older Toyota Tacoma/4Runner, and in very rare instances JLU 4 doors that are on the black diamond trails such as John Bull, Sherman Pass, etc.

A JT is going to have to be modified extensively to navigate the hard core black diamond trails.
Sponsored