Sponsored

Considering a visit to the dark side

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
So, are you saying the short wheel base of the 2dr is going to give me a stiffer and bumpier ride?
My wife drives a JLU and I drive a JL, it's a noticeable difference driving the two. I love the shorter wheelbase and the ride that comes with it, but you mentioning your health concerns really warrants a test drive of both. Good luck!
Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
First time poster, newbie, blah blah blah.

I'm thinking of buying a 2019 Jeep JL Wrangler, two door, likely in a Sport S config.
Asking for some opinion in the following paragraph, and yes - I've been reading this site like it's late 19th century and there's no other entertainment going round. And yes, I WILL test drive multiple vehicles to make sure I'm comfortable with the decision.

The very specific reason for the thread title is, I'm an FJ Cruiser guy.
Two out of my last three vehicles, 8 out of the last 11 years, have had me riding in FJ's and I've loved every second. Loved the truck, loved the mods, loved the forums, loved it all.
Most importantly, I thought it was a brilliant ride for a compromised vehicle like these true 4x4's are..... when they're expected to cross the badlands AND have you looking a million bucks stepping out on to the rock rails for the money shot at the end.
With all the things it struggled with, the FJ was super composed, strong enough to pull in traffic, quiet enough inside to talk on the phone, dialed up just the right suspension stock to cover the pavement just as nicely as the rutted stuff, even turned a corner confidently if you set her up with a slow approach and tucked and accelerate. Not much body lean, not floaty. Pretty damn civilized.
It was a great great vehicle.

I was wondering if there are any other former FJ owners here on the site who now drive Wranglers, and can give me their honest feelings about the differences, strengths and weaknesses, and what they would tell someone like me considering the step over in to the dark side.

I love the look of Wranglers, always have, but have never wanted THAT compromised a daily driver to consider previous models.
The JL has me curious.
I sold my 08 FJ which I bought new in 07 and bought a 2019 Sahara 2.0 eTorque. I had the six speed manual with the short shifter. I didn't do any heavy duty off roading thus buying the Sahara. You will love the Jeep as a daily driver and off road. It has more power especially mid range torque. The ride with the coil springs is better and, I have no problem with it wondering on the road. The steering is slow which is exaggerated by the fact my other car is a Z06 convertible but, it is easy to get used to. The one thing about selling the FJ was it was gaining in value and, thus was costing me very little to drive. Mine only had 32,000 miles. I had duel sun roofs put in but, I like the sky one touch top even better and, had my doors off this weekend in the warm weather. I am concerned about quality but, my power train is covered for 6 years 60,000. I will evaluate then whether to keep it or get something else.

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 392 Hemi Wrangler - Follow on IG @ zona.ovrlnd
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've never had a FJ, so i may not be the best reference for obvious reasons...

Having said that, i love my JL. I have a 2018 JLUR on a 2.5" lift and 35 in tires. It drives just fine, and i love it. I don't mind the noise at all, as i'm used to it and understand it - people complaining about the noise of a Jeep Wrangler boggles my mind because it's expected as it's not a fully enclosed vehicle,, the top can be removed and the hardtop isn't exactly thick and insulated to keep noise out. THere are things you can do to help, yes, but it is what it is and most wrangler owners likely are okay with that.

Also, it's a JL is new, it has an actual dealer warranty you will get, and a huge amount of aftermarket options that are on an actively produced vehicole. An FJ hasn't been produced for...6 years? So as time goes on, i'd assume that parts become more rare (and more expensive).

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Your rig looks a little nose up with the trailer hitched.....did you find any lightness through the front wheels on to the tarmac at speed? Was the trailer and its weight something you took in to account when deciding on the overall lift height of your Rubicon?

Thanks for the post by the way, looks absolutely beautiful living! It's what I aim to do the next 6-7 years before I retire to some beach somewhere and write a half decent novel.
Hi, it drove great. My husband took care to get a proper hitch to go with the lift. It looked balanced when we were setting it up. It’s a lightweight trailer with a low tongue weight.

We don’t have that Jeep or camper anymore, but it was great fun. I love Colorado!

Sponsored

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x
I have had about 8 4runners and 1 2012 FjC trails team. I worked at a Toyota dealer. I now have a 18JLU RUBICON. Which is my 3rd Jeep , it’s the best one I’ve owned. I spent 7k on an icon lift for my trail premium 4Runner just to get 33”s on it. I put 35”s on my Jeep no lift. Plus there is a value for most of your take off parts. Do I miss the runner? A little, but every time I look at my Jeep I smile. I LOVE MY JEEP. (Parts are half the price)

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

So, are you saying the short wheel base of the 2dr is going to give me a stiffer and bumpier ride?
the longer the wheelbase the better the ride quality. You also cant tow squat with the two except a small off road trailer. Check out the gladiator. It has an even better ride and can tow quite a bit more. Same functionality as a wrangler. ie removeable top and doors, etc.. only downside is not as good for serious off roading, which doesnt seem to be a concern for you

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I test drove FJs a few times and loved the styling, the drive, the view over the hood, off-road capability and front seat comfort. That's where it ended for me. There is no rear seat ventilation as no rear windows opened, vented or anything. That was a deal killer and I went with a 4Runner Trail. It was everything the FJ was and was not. I loved the styling, the drive, the view over the hood, off-road capability and front seat comfort. I also loved the back seat leg room, back seat recliners, back seat comfort for passengers, the cargo area and capacity, the cargo slide tray, the roll down rear windows and the roll down back window, etc, etc.

Then I got the '20 JLUR that I thought was my dream Jeep. I always considered myself a Jeep person as this is my 8th Jeep so I know what I am doing and what I want, right? Exact color, all of the option I wanted... it is basically perfect. I loved the styling, the drive, the responsive 3.6L and the excellent 8AT, the view over the hood, off-road capability, UConnect 8.4 with Alpine, heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc. etc.

And then after a couple of months, I started missing my 4Runner and its front seat comfort, lack of wind noise, dead pedal, greater cargo & towing capacity, reasonably sized FOB, slide out cargo tray, roll down back window, one-touch up-down all windows, highway manners, drive in the snow, steering preciseness, build quality, lack of ESS, not worrying about the multiple failures I read about on this forum, etc. etc. So now I have a '20 4Runner Off-Road Premium on order. It will be my dream 4Runner... I hope. Regardless, I am turning in my Jeeper card.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Terrific responses all...Being 51 with 3 bulging discs and arthritis in one hip, if I buy a JL there won't be ledges and boulders in our future, probably more a tear drop trailer and visits to Colorado/Utah/California where I can feel good about getting in and out of some picturesque scenery...
I’m late to this party.

Nothing more relaxing than pulling your pants down away from civilization and just sitting in the driver’s seat with the top off, the doors off and your junk out.

And then just BEING. Only in a Jeep Wrangler will you get that kind of Freedom.

But don’t leave home that way... for decency’s sake you’ll want to get pants on to cover your junk when you’re out in public. And shoes. And a shirt. ;)

Keep us posted.
Sponsored