Considering new JL?

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
I guess when my order comes in I will drive it straight over to the service department.

Reading, PA? I'm right in Phoenixville! Where did you order your 2-door from? I ordered my 2018 through 422 Jeep and had a pretty great sales experience.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I scheduled my first oil change for this Saturday, I think I may trade it in for a prius.

Actually not sure why I bought the JL, I hate driving topless, doorless, and off road.
I was really hoping the JL would make me cool
I was also expecting it to drive nothing like a jeep

Kidding, I am cool, and I love my JLU...its like my TJ and 00 Cherokee had a baby.
If it isn't raining the tops down, and I am off road pretty frequently

I tend to not listen to people though

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Reading, PA? I'm right in Phoenixville! Where did you order your 2-door from? I ordered my 2018 through 422 Jeep and had a pretty great sales experience.
I'm actually in Morgantown. I ordered (on 10/16) from Courtesy in Coatesville, very easy to deal with, and a good deal.

Sponsored

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
i've been enjoying my 18 JL rubicon every day since i ordered it in july, and i still haven't gotten it yet. lol

but it's now in, at the dealer. just have to go sign papers and drive it home. can't wait to actually enjoy it.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
just joined, not good on computers. was reading the problems on the new JL. Wow! I have owned 8 different jeeps with the last four wranglers, with 3 rubicons. Currently a 2012 Rubicon 2 dr. Was thinking of a new JL ,but with all the problems, think I'll keep mine. I never had any problems with the wranglers I've owned. What is going on with qc at jeep/
The first JK (2007) had engines with piston rings installed wrong, D35 (old version) rear axles that broke easily, tops that leaked like sieves, etc. They fixed those things in the next model years. Then in 2012 they dropped in a new engine and trans. and had head failures, HVAC failures, etc. They got those things addressed over the following years. Now it's 2018 and we've got another significantly changed model and there are welding problems, steering issues, etc.

The bottom line is, there is nothing new under the sun. The way it is now is the way it's always been. All new vehicles go through a teething process.

I'm coming up on 7,000 miles and my JLU hasn't let me down a single day. My steering issues were addressed via software update and it's been flawless otherwise. I do have questionable welds but mine isn't included in the recall so I'm just going to drive it and love it.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Hold on people. This is not Henry Ford working out the kinks of his assembly line concept. Quality is a result of the business ideology.
Making excuses for poorly implemented processes is not good for anyone, well maybe the manufacture is okay with that.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Hold on people. This is not Henry Ford working out the kinks of his assembly line concept. Quality is a result of the business ideology.
Making excuses for poorly implemented processes is not good for anyone, well maybe the manufacture is okay with that.
I don’t see people making excuses. It pays to have a health amount of pragmatism if you’re ever going to be truly happy with something.

My JL has a spot where then clearcoat dripped (I could easily fixed it if I wanted to) the front bumper is drilled for a plate (but I bought it out of state where front played are used), my clock mysteriously shows the wrong time every few weeks (it takes 20 seconds to reset), I’m sometimes annoyed a bit that the turn signal takes a pretty good push to engage, and it feels cheap (far more than my other cars), etc etc etc.

The trick is to take it all in stride- realizing that the best thing aren’t perfect. The more you can do that, the more you’ll enjoy what you have.

OP
OP
wolf

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
just joined, not good on computers. was reading the problems on the new JL. Wow! I have owned 8 different jeeps with the last four wranglers, with 3 rubicons. Currently a 2012 Rubicon 2 dr. Was thinking of a new JL ,but with all the problems, think I'll keep mine. I never had any problems with the wranglers I've owned. What is going on with qc at jeep/

Sponsored

OP
OP
wolf

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Thanks for the advice from individual owners both pro and con. I value other individuals experience and I will purchase a new 2 dr jl but as one member rightly said,all vehicles go through a period of adjustment. I probably will wait until 2019 or 2020. I just was curious as why so many small problems and welding problems. It's like no one checked the qc. a lot of theses problems were visual. I toured a car assembly line once and watched their procedures, it was amazing what they caught and moved out of line to be fixed. The line was even stopped a few times. Again thanks for the input I guess I got lucky with my Wranglers. Very happy with my Rubicon. I now have 87000 miles and going strong. wish the dealers had some 2 dr to look at and test drive. I guess the 4 dr has a larger market,
. Don't really know.

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
I’m coming around to the conclusion that you’re just making conversation and aren’t necessarily the concern troll I had suspected. If that’s the case, I apologize. Sometimes I get a little carried away and it’s not meant to be personal. Anyhow, they’re making 15,000 of these a month! By contrast, I think I read someplace that Aston Martin has made 45,000 cars since they started making cars. The Jeeps with problems (and there are some with big issues) are the rare exception, not the rule. In other words, it wasn’t lucky that you own(ed) a trouble-free Jeep—that’d be like claiming good fortune for crossing a street in the crosswalk with the right of way and all the cars stopped and everyone watching you walk across on a clear, sunny day. No, those with problematic jeeps are unlucky, and, as many have pointed out a new model needs a little time to sort out the kinks. I applaud your decision to test drive a JL.

Lord-Maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk
name one Car / Truck that can do what our loved Jeeps Can ? I am willing to take a few /growing pains for a Heated Seat on the Rubicon Trail lol I loved my JK for 90 thousand miles and am just impressed with the JL test drove 2 before we ordered our Rubicon ..10/3 im pretty sure the enginers were scared of death threats and such the JL is Amazing All JEEP with a splash of BMW

rjrubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’ve got a new JLUR. The welding problems are a major concern but have been identified and narrowed down between May-Aug build dates with certain frame numbers. My JL was built in July and I’m still not on the recall, my frame number is not one of the ones effected and my welds look good. Just inspect the Jeep before buying. All JK Jeeps have had their share of numerous problems and recalls just as any other vehicle. My 2015 F150 I traded on my JLUR just received another recall notice in the mail stating the seat belts were defective and would possibly catch on fire during an accident. I had all the door locking mechanism break last winter that would cause you from being able to close the door which was a major recall. That’s pretty major too coming from Ford. Chevy just recalled over 1 million trucks and SUVs for steering issues that may cause you to crash. No matter what you decide to buy now a days it may have QA issues.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
name one Car / Truck that can do what our loved Jeeps Can ? I am willing to take a few /growing pains for a Heated Seat on the Rubicon Trail lol I loved my JK for 90 thousand miles and am just impressed with the JL test drove 2 before we ordered our Rubicon ..10/3 im pretty sure the enginers were scared of death threats and such the JL is Amazing All JEEP with a splash of BMW
Of course, no car or truck would equal it. That would be silly. However if you are comparing near equals then lets see... 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Land Rover Discovery.
Sponsored