Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Still say keep it.

I kept the Subaru, though it should have been pushed out the door as fast as I could. I still love driving it, so while I can I keep paying it's insurance and drive it.

:like::beer:
Sponsored

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Sorry for long post...wanted to get some feedback. As many can probably empathize, I acquired the jeep addiction(JLU Sport S 6 speed) in late June 2018 and have thoroughly enjoyed the jeep community as well as every aspect of owning it as a daily driver.(modding/taking kids on topless rides/wheeling) I put 22k miles on it the first year and a good bit of $ into it swapping in rubi axles/transfer case and lifted it along with a myriad of other mods. It has been a great hobby, therapeutic and allowed me to meet some GREAT people and do some awesome trails.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and I made a career change to a position that requires driving around 40k miles/year. The company reimburses mileage based on the current government rate of $.54/mile. As much as I love the jeep, it doesn't make sense to put that many miles on it considering maintenance costs, depreciation, comfort on long drives and 17mpg on 35" tires. Looking at the financials...buying a 5 yr old honda accord 4 cylinder that gets 36 mpg is about $2800/yr cheaper on fuel cost at $2.25 gallon and has a much more comfortable ride along with cheaper maintenance/insurance. It seemed like a no brainer as the cost difference in gas alone would cover the car payments. So I bought a 2014 accord for $11k early last wk and have already put over 1k miles on it and am enjoying the smoother steering on the hwy.

Meanwhile, I'm in a hotel and the jlu is taking up space in our 2 car garage parked next to the wife's resort on wheels(minivan). I'm mentally battling justifying paying $620 month(jeep payment + insurance)over the next 4.5 yearsfor a 1 yr old jeep that I'll drive on the wknds and occasionally during the week.(wife prefers the minivan and doesnt care to learn to drive a manual) Our kids are are age, 3, 5 & 7...so they wont need a vehicle anytime soon. Wife stays at home watching kids and we have the income to cover it, but it feels selfish and financially dumb as we could be putting the $ towards a college fund for the kids, our church and/or retirement savings.

Has anybody been in a similar situation? I've considered selling the jl and buying a less expensive jk as I've got about $12k in equity. Could pay cash for a $15k 2 door 2013 jk automatic so my wife can also drive it. Anybody been in a similar spot in life?
Selling the Jeep will make you hate yourself, and every day with that Accord will make you feel like you sold your testicles to the devil, or to your wife if she doesn't already have them in her purse. Let her drive that mini van and don't you dare sell that wicked cool Jeep that has your soul imbedded into every beautiful suspension and body part. You're driving your dream dude. Tell your kids their option is to go to a state school, and make sure their high school grades are good enough to get scholarships because you're not going to put $40,000 a year into a kid that ends up getting a BA in English and working at Barnes And Noble and living with YOU in the family room that you planned on turning into your man cave when the kids LEFT home, IE they don't. Long sentence, sorry. My dad was an English Professor so I had tuition abatement and didn't cost my parents quite as much as my friends did. My sentence structure still sucks. My wife and I don't have children so unfortunately my advice is perhaps , in your case a bit reckless, but you only live ONCE. That's also debatable in my opinion. Quite a few friends and family died before they hit 50 so in my opinion, life is short, keep the Jeep!!.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Yeah it is huge ! My kid is a freshman at UVM , in state tuition is about 34k per year. When her 529 hit 160k , I called American funds and put a stop on investing the money. Now it sits there and I dole it out in tuition payments,knowing her 4 years are covered. So now I am anxiety ridden over Harley's new Low Rider S ! I want one and I need for someone to hold me back !
Put more money into the Jeep. The Harley is suicide. Coming from a guy who was a Paramedic and also owned a bike shop at one point. By the way, are you paying for grad school or is she. You know as well as I do she's going to need that MA. Either way you sound like a good dad. God Bless.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Put more money into the Jeep. The Harley is suicide. Coming from a guy who was a Paramedic and also owned a bike shop at one point. By the way, are you paying for grad school or is she. You know as well as I do she's going to need that MA. Either way you sound like a good dad. God Bless.
I wont put more money into the Jeep but I also wont be buying that new Harley. I have been riding for 38 plus years, in rural Vermont , and I am actually considering selling my present bike and packing it in. I have put it down once, avoiding a deer ,been very fortunate. I know you are right. ;)

Last edited:

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
No chance I would want to drive anywhere near 50k miles year in a solid axle jl. They wander too much on the hwy and that kind of high mileage significantly lowers value.
Did you upgrade your steering at all? Once I upgraded to steersmarts I've been pretty happy with mine.

Also, are you nuts? Keep your Jeep! Especially if youre looking to take that equity and get another one. If you have 15k in positive equity, how much do you owe on top of that?

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Nobody knows your finances better than you but it seems to make the most sense to sell it. If your driving 40K miles a year for work I doubt in your free time you will be driving the Jeep much with young kids. I think the idea of selling it and paying cash for an older used Jeep makes the most sense as you can still have a Jeep if you want it but are not making big payments.

The reality is the JL will continue to depreciate so the sooner you sell it the better.
that's why I always say most people are weekend warriors. I see people spending tens of thousands of dollars putting all this expensive hardcore stuff on a Jeep which is their right to do its their Jeep but they never use it. They don't go out there and need all the undercarriage protection and everything because they're just weekend warriors like myself. I can only go one weekend a month if I'm lucky when kids are in college so we're traveling every weekend just about to go see my daughter she dances and performs at football games. Then if you got other kids doing soccer and football that takes a lot of your time on the weekends when you have kids. Their activities come first at least they do in my family

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Did you upgrade your steering at all? Once I upgraded to steersmarts I've been pretty happy with mine.

Also, are you nuts? Keep your Jeep! Especially if youre looking to take that equity and get another one. If you have 15k in positive equity, how much do you owe on top of that?
I love this jeep and have put a ton of time/money into building it...but life changes happen. I have a RK trackbar and stock draglink/tie rod and owe $28k on it and listed it on Autotrader, cars.com and facebook marketplace. I would keep it if it was still a daily driver like it has been, but the new job involving driving 35-40k miles/yr, I didn't want to put that many miles on it or pay for gas/maintenance. With a 4th kid on the way and the older kids starting sports, there's less time for jeeping. It's simply not worth it in this situation at $550/month + $62/month insurance for an occasionally driven wknd toy. I also dont like taking an expensive jeep offroad because I'm constantly mindful of avoiding scratching/breaking stuff. The plan is to sell the jl, save some $ and wait a bit to make sure the new job is going well...then pay cash for an older mall crawler jk rubi lifted on 35's with lockers and start doing some tougher trails. :rock::jk:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

Sponsored

OhReally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hellayella JLUS, Honda Odyssey
I work at home so I don't drive daily. My Jeep is parked with the top down, ready to go when I need it. If it is raining then I can take the time to put the top up or take my wife's van.

If it was me, I would keep the Jeep and buy something better on gas for a daily driver.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I work at home so I don't drive daily. My Jeep is parked with the top down, ready to go when I need it. If it is raining then I can take the time to put the top up or take my wife's van.

If it was me, I would keep the Jeep and buy something better on gas for a daily driver.
In the original post, I said I bought a 2014 honda accord as a daily driver.