Sponsored

Looking at JLU considering 4runner

freitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3M40i, Audi Q5, BMW X1
Hi all,

I'm coming from years of about 6 jeeps. My last one was a 2008 Unlimited which I sold around 2012 due to having company trucks. In 2017 we ended our company program and I went to an BMW X3M40i, big mistake nothing but issues. I just got out of the car and looking for a very capable do anything family SUV for my wife and 2 kids.

Both kids in car seats 3 year old and new born.

I've read up on the steering wheel / steering feel issues and it has definitely deterred me.
I need a reliable daily driver that has the ability to go anywhere. I can't afford to have the car in the shop as much as my bmw looking for endless fixes.

How wide spread is the JL's steering issues an other issues? How does the reliability look for the 2019?

Its come down to a 19 JLU Rubicon/sahara or a 19 4runner LTD.

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
The real question is how many of these steering issues are real vs people just not willing to accept how a solid front axle setup drives. I would say there's a legitimate sway to the latter.

Last edited:

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
No issues with my 18 Sahara.. steering or otherwise.. You are seeing the condensed versions here. Most people don't "un-complain"

Do what you feel suits you.. Personally a 4 runner is just plain to me.. just another vehicle but it's your dime and choice.

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My JL had intermittent loss of power steering and electrical issues that they seem to have fixed. It took a LONG time for them to fix it and while I was waiting I looked at 4Runners. Here was my assessment: Toyota beats Jeep in reliability hands down. The 4Runner is behind on technology and horsepower.

It sounds like from your post, a 4Runner might be a better option for your needs. It is more reliable. Your kids will be able to climb in on their own sooner than they will be able to in a Jeep. On the other hand, my kids didn’t see the big deal about the Jeep. It was just an SUV, like mom had, until I took the top and doors off and we drove through the country and down some trails. Now, they look forward to rides, and two of my three are teens. If you plan on taking the family on rides with the top and doors off, then there can be only one.

BostonJohn13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 05 Wrangler Unlimited
I test drove a 4Runner about 2-3 times before we decided on a Grand Cherokee a few years back. The ride felt a little too soft and there is some serious nose dive when braking that I could not get past.

The JLU is a bit more modern in terms of features.

Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Dont
Hi all,

I'm coming from years of about 6 jeeps. My last one was a 2008 Unlimited which I sold around 2012 due to having company trucks. In 2017 we ended our company program and I went to an BMW X3M40i, big mistake nothing but issues. I just got out of the car and looking for a very capable do anything family SUV for my wife and 2 kids.

I've read up on the steering wheel / steering feel issues and it has definitely deterred me.
I need a reliable daily driver that has the ability to go anywhere. I can't afford to have the car in the shop as much as my bmw looking for endless fixes.

How wide spread is the JL's steering issues an other issues? How does the reliability look for the 2019?

Thanks for the input.
Dont worry about steering. Worry about room. I think the JL has better engine, and rubicon has more robust drivetrain than yota. However, toyota will have a smoother ride and quieter cabin and perhaps a
Bit more room front and back. I was recently off road in one in Guatemala and quickly wished i was in my JL. Not that it was bad , it just felt cheep to me. But it was quiet and comfortable thats for sure. Toyota is the only non-american i would “trust” (minus the tundra). The land cruiser was a decent platform... id like to think some of that mindset trickles down... i watched an interview about the making of the africa twin and they seemed pretty pumped.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Hi all,

Thanks for the input.
I think it comes down to if you plan on taking advantage of the features the Wrangler offers, like taking off the top and doors. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that because the age of your children, I would get the 4Runner. It offers better reliability and holds its value better. If you don’t take advantage of removing the doors or top, the wrangler is just another SUV, and not a very good one at that.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The only reason, I can see, a JLU should be your choice over the 4Runner would be if your intent is to use the JLU's more capable off-road agility. If it's going to be a soccer mom's car with the occasonal light dirt road venture, there's just no practical reason to go with a Jeep, IMO. Then again, if you're an emotional buyer, a JLU might be in the cards.

Worth a read about the 4Runner vs Highlander.
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news...s-2019-toyota-highlander-what-281474979901278

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The only reason, I can see, a JLU should be your choice over the 4Runner would be if your intent is to use the JLU's more capable off-road agility. If it's going to be a soccer mom's car with the occasonal light dirt road venture, there's just no practical reason to go with a Jeep, IMO. Then again, if you're an emotional buyer, a JLU might be in the cards.
Did they design a 4Runner with a removable roof now? No? Huh, then it seems that a Jeep might be for more than crawling over rocks.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Unless people are using the terms “soccer mom’s car”, “mall runner”, “Starbuck’s climber” tounge-in-cheek, I’ hope they realize that if only people who really “need” the capabilities of a jeep bought them, there’d be no market, and thus you would have to build your own off-roader.

But that aside, even though I’m a “Toyota guy” (2 Tundras, 1 compact pick up, Lexus IS250), I think the 4Runner will disappoint you from an interior space point of view. I was seriously looking at a Tacoma TRD, but aside from the wife giving me a thumbs down, I found the interior lacking (even though it has a pick up bed). Love my Rubicon so far. Its my daily driver. Have lots of plans to find dirty places and hills to drive it, but here in Central Florida we’re confined mostly to beach cruising and the occasional mud bogs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

freitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow didn't expect this thread to be active so quickly. Lots of snow here in ht east so everyone must have time.

To answers the general questions everyone has.

Planned to use as the main family road vehicle. Wife has a Q5 but its a bit small for loading things in.
Mild off roading would keep the very capable rubi stock.
Need it to be able to take some road miles.
Need it to be able to handle all road conditions. We take ski trips, like to go up in the mountains for cabin camping etc.
Need it to last, would like to keep about 6-7 years. Avg. 12-15k a year in mileage.

I also wonder if people are not use to how the jeep drives. Having had 6 in the past ranging from 1999 model - a 2008 model I'm very well use to the way they drive. I've had 3" lifted ones with 35" and a Sahara with a 1.5" and 33" as a daily for many years.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
take your car seats with you to dealer. Install them in both. bring all the baby stuff with you too. Pack in it the both. This will be your life for next 4+ years. Then it will change. I had 3 boys all close in age. Also see if you can get the one of these vehicles for the day. So when you go look at the other vehicle with all the stuff, you can tell the dealer - its between your vehicle and this one. Might give you some leverage to get a better deal. I did that and they really wanted me to not buy the one I brought to compare side by side.

OP
OP

freitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless people are using the terms “soccer mom’s car”, “mall runner”, “Starbuck’s climber” tounge-in-cheek, I’ hope they realize that if only people who really “need” the capabilities of a jeep bought them, there’d be no market, and thus you would have to build your own off-roader.

But that aside, even though I’m a “Toyota guy” (2 Tundras, 1 compact pick up, Lexus IS250), I think the 4Runner will disappoint you from an interior space point of view. I was seriously looking at a Tacoma TRD, but aside from the wife giving me a thumbs down, I found the interior lacking (even though it has a pick up bed). Love my Rubicon so far. Its my daily driver. Have lots of plans to find dirty places and hills to drive it, but here in Central Florida we’re confined mostly to beach cruising and the occasional mud bogs.
Very good point.

I've driven the 4runner multiple times. The ceiling height so far has been the biggest reason I haven't committed to it. Interior is just sad needs an upgrade. However the reliability is amazing that what keep pulling me towards it.

How does the new JL drive compared to the old ones. I will say the old ones weren't family friendly. I would most likely keep a rubi stock maybe moderate tire upgrade and little more lift.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Wow didn't expect this thread to be active so quickly. Lots of snow here in ht east so everyone must have time.

To answers the general questions everyone has.

Planned to use as the main family road vehicle. Wife has a Q5 but its a bit small for loading things in.
Mild off roading would keep the very capable rubi stock.
Need it to be able to take some road miles.
Need it to be able to handle all road conditions. We take ski trips, like to go up in the mountains for cabin camping etc.
Need it to last, would like to keep about 6-7 years. Avg. 12-15k a year in mileage.

I also wonder if people are not use to how the jeep drives. Having had 6 in the past ranging from 1999 model - a 2008 model I'm very well use to the way they drive. I've had 3" lifted ones with 35" and a Sahara with a 1.5" and 33" as a daily for many years.
I would say the 4Runner then.

OP
OP

freitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any other serious issues to be concerned about on the JLU's? Just seems like steering concerns.
Sponsored