Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks...I thought about it last night and this morning and dont feel at peace paying $600/month(with insurance) for an expensive wknd toy considering my current family situation. I just dropped the jeep off to be fully detailed for pics to list it on autotrader, cars.com and Facebook. I feel like I'm about to give away my dog. :headbang: But deep down, I know it's the wise decision.

On a positive note, it would be great to find a $15k semi built and non rusted tj rubi that I can use the equity from the sale and pay cash for it. :jk:
upload_2019-9-19_14-24-15.png
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Let's see some pics of your sweet TJ! How much did you get it for?
Since you asked, imma bout to derail this thread ;)
I'll spare you the long list but here's the short story: 2004 LJ that the PO put Rubicon D44s, chromoly rear shafts, Eaton electric locker up front and a Detroit in the rear. The Detroit is long gone, hated that thing. Bunch of other stuff was done too... OME lift, all JKS J-flex control arms, etc... All said and done he handed me a three ring binder documenting all receipts and work done totaling around $10k. Add that to a clean LJ average price of $12,500 and I got a deal at $15,500. Say what you will about built vs. bought but I'd have been a fool to walk away from this deal. Came with hard top, BestTop bikini top and a useless soft top. I also bought his BestTop cover for $50 for when I'm topless and doorless.
Since then I've added front and rear bumpers, winch, stereo and speakers and gone over all the parts that he half assed on some of them. I freaking love this thing, it's awesome on the trails and the open road, it's my DD. First pic is the most recent from last weekend at Uwharie.

EDIT: Also added a Skid Row oil/tranny pan skid plate since the tranny pan comes from the factory with a bullseye on it.

IMG_1674.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0109.jpg
IMG_2267.jpg
IMG_2382.jpg
IMG_2387.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Since you asked, imma bout to derail this thread ;)
I'll spare you the long list but here's the short story: 2004 LJ that the PO put Rubicon D44s, chromoly rear shafts, Eaton electric locker up front and a Detroit in the rear. The Detroit is long gone, hated that thing. Bunch of other stuff was done too... OME lift, all JKS J-flex control arms, etc... All said and done he handed me a three ring binder documenting all receipts and work done totaling around $10k. Add that to a clean LJ average price of $12,500 and I got a deal at $15,500. Say what you will about built vs. bought but I'd have been a fool to walk away from this deal. Came with hard top, BestTop bikini top and a useless soft top. I also bought his BestTop cover for $50 for when I'm topless and doorless.
Since then I've added front and rear bumpers, winch, stereo and speakers and gone over all the parts that he half assed on some of them. I freaking love this thing, it's awesome on the trails and the open road, it's my DD. First pic is the most recent from last weekend at Uwharie.

EDIT: Also added a Skid Row oil/tranny pan skid plate since the tranny pan comes from the factory with a bullseye on it.

IMG_1674.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0109.jpg
IMG_2267.jpg
IMG_2382.jpg
IMG_2387.jpg
Very cool and killer deal!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@mgroeger Finding a non rusted out, properly built LJ like yours for $15k would be incredible.
I think it spent it's life in Maryland so it is pretty rust free. I noticed a few spots where the frame ends at the rear but nothing scary. I'll be doing a once over this fall when the temps cool off.
It was a good deal and the Mrs. even recognized it as such. Would I like more lift and 35s? You bet and maybe one day that will come but other priorities first :)

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
When my daughter was a year old , I put a sum of money in a 529 college fund. Fast forward 18 years , that 529 has grown enough so that her 4 years at the University of Vermont are paid for. Something to think about.
Or you can be like me, I told my kids if they want to go to college, they are free to join the military and use the GI Bill. Worked for me. My son said excellent idea and joined the Navy. My 18 yo daughter is "uninspired" ;)

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2024 JLU Willys 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Low milage jeeps (and honestly jeeps in general) retain their value very well (sold a '11 jk with a busted transmission, for way more than expected due to the low milage [I work from home]). At this point you've already eaten most of the new-car depreciation, so you could think of it as an investment in later to keep it as a weekend fun driver. It'll be worth more when it's 8 years old with 60k miles, then all the other ones out there with 120k miles. I'm not sure if it's sound financial strategy but if you're looking for justification to keep it, another log for that fire.

Sponsored

jconradtx

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler SS Sting Gray/Heritage Tan w/ 6spd, HT, Tech Pkg & Cold Pkg
Occupation
EMT/Instructor
I am in a similar situation as you with the high-mileage required job except I knew ahead of time I was going to driving 30k-50k miles a year for work. I do, however, require the storage space the Wrangler offers as I am a CPR instructor and those manikins require an SUV/CUV. My only two complaints about the JL in this situation is the cramped/constraining footwell space and the fact that it wanders all over the road if you aren't paying attention. Other than that, I have absolutely loved it for my long commutes.

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
De-lift it, find some Sport or Sahara takeoffs for cheap (unless you kept them when you went bigger) and drive it. Sell the lift and spendy wheels.

You can still be a part of "JEEP LYFE YO" on the weekends, and it'll be civil during the week. Not every jeep needs lift/tires anyway.

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
De-lift it, find some Sport or Sahara takeoffs for cheap (unless you kept them when you went bigger) and drive it. Sell the lift and spendy wheels.

You can still be a part of "JEEP LYFE YO" on the weekends, and it'll be civil during the week. Not every jeep needs lift/tires anyway.
:giggle:

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I am in a similar situation as you with the high-mileage required job except I knew ahead of time I was going to driving 30k-50k miles a year for work. I do, however, require the storage space the Wrangler offers as I am a CPR instructor and those manikins require an SUV/CUV. My only two complaints about the JL in this situation is the cramped/constraining footwell space and the fact that it wanders all over the road if you aren't paying attention. Other than that, I have absolutely loved it for my long commutes.
No chance I would want to drive anywhere near 50k miles year in a solid axle jl. They wander too much on the hwy and that kind of high mileage significantly lowers value.

Scooter2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport / 2022 F250 / 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Ug – wow.. this kind of bums me out. I have followed your build since I stumbled upon it on this forum. All the sh*t you have done to that rig, and all the networking you have done on this forum to build it. And no doubt, its a bad ass build. Motivating for sure...

I know its easier said than done, but can you not just sell like a mother.. turn that 2 car garage into a 4 car garage in 2 years? Sales is brutal – but there is that upside.

Yeah, kind of bummed – thanks for the inspiration, and really hope you can find a way to keep that rig and stay involved in the community.

Good luck man – go get some..
Sponsored

Last edited: