Sponsored

Considering switch to JT

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
The JT is not a truck. In fact anything with less than a 6' bed is not considered a truck. The JT was introduced as a marketing ploy to meet he demand of those who are overloading their vehicles for the "overlanding" craze that has taken over the world.
That's absurd. Here is a Gladiator doing truck things
alership-in-Colorado-Springs-2021-Gladiator-towing.jpg
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
That's absurd. Here is a Gladiator doing truck things
alership-in-Colorado-Springs-2021-Gladiator-towing.jpg
LMAO!!!! As soon as that overloaded JT takes a corner the tailgate is going to fold and crumble. Nice fake marketing pick you googled though!!

Shamelessly taken from the JT gladiator forum:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/the-most-overloaded-jt-i-have-come-across.48899/

This is what the typical consumer is using these rigs for. you are not going to see this rig on any kind of black diamond trail.

Jeep Wrangler JL Considering switch to JT E005F390-2140-468F-B446-7972735CD05F

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
LMAO!!!! As soon as that overloaded JT takes a corner the tailgate is going to fold and crumble. Nice fake marketing pick you googled though!!
So your telling me you cannot put 500lbs of dirt bikes in the bed and tow a SXS on a trailer that is generously 3000lbs total?

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
So your telling me you cannot put 500lbs of dirt bikes in the bed and tow a SXS on a trailer that is generously 3000lbs total?
Must be awfully short bikes to fit in the back of a JT and towing 3,000lbs is hardly “truck territory”

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Must be awfully short bikes to fit in the back of a JT and towing 3,000lbs is hardly “truck territory”
You must be missing the point of my question. To do what the Gladiator is doing in the picture would be easy. Also, it is a KTM dirt bike in the bed. There is an entire picture thread in the Gladiator forum with all kinds of different motorcycles in the bed.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Keep in mind that the JT has almost zero interior storage except for the rear seat area. If you travel four up, everything is going in the bed. And the bed gets dusty, even with a hard cover on it (comes in under the bottom edge of the tailgate). Fridges are taller than the bed sides, which precludes a cover if you don’t want your fridge in the cabin with you.

None of this is a deal killer, but for straight up overlanding, the JT requires some extra thought.

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
The JT is not a truck. In fact anything with less than a 6' bed is not considered a truck. The JT was introduced as a marketing ploy to meet he demand of those who are overloading their vehicles for the "overlanding" craze that has taken over the world.
So the ram 1500, f150, silverado, nissan titan, and tundra are all not trucks? Most half tons only have 5'6" beds give or take a few inches when you get the 4 door. The gladiators is 5' and you can carry 6 foot lumber diagonally within the bed rails.

We have a JLU 4xe and JT that we got in place of a 1500 and the JT is just as much truck as any other midsize like a taco, ranger, or colorando/canyon. It is definitely not as nimble as the jlu, but it is very stable and is very capable on and off road, especially once you add some 37's and lift.

Personally I'd not (and didnt) get the mojave for a few reasons

1) No diesel which is by far the best JT engine available.
2) The suspension is nice, but if you want to lift to get any real flex you have to use shock extensions. If you dont use them or want to go higher than 2 inches, you end up with an overland on wide axles with a rear locker. At least in the rubicon you keep the front and rear lockers, 4:1, and sway bar disconnect
3) As good as the mojave shocks are, fox 2.5's are better and cost about 3K. Not cheap, but the mojave is more expensive than a comparable rubicon and the fox 2.5's will let me get way more travel with a lift
4) Payload and Towing are lower on the mojave because the rear springs are soft and sag quite a bit with load.

Keep in mind that the JT has almost zero interior storage except for the rear seat area. If you travel four up, everything is going in the bed. And the bed gets dusty, even with a hard cover on it (comes in under the bottom edge of the tailgate). Fridges are taller than the bed sides, which precludes a cover if you don’t want your fridge in the cabin with you.

None of this is a deal killer, but for straight up overlanding, the JT requires some extra thought.
This is true, there is very little room inside and the bed is not very tall (18") The bed with a good cover and gasket on the tail gate doesnt get dusty though. Something like an access cover with the tailgate gasket keeps out even hurricane force wind, water, and dust. It may not seal quite as tight as a tailgate but its enough to create pressure when you try to close it.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Every truck in the class has a 5' bed. As already pointed out, full size truck beds are standard at 5.5', with longer ones being optional. I've hauled everything in my JT bed that I used to haul in my Ram, Ford, etc. beds.

I have never once in my life seen a JT on anything other than mellow trails and open desert. It's always a 2 door JL or older Toyota Tacoma/4Runner, and in very rare instances JLU 4 doors that are on the black diamond trails such as John Bull, Sherman Pass, etc.

A JT is going to have to be modified extensively to navigate the hard core black diamond trails.
I went to an off road park called Dirty Turtle last year. They're known for steep hills and rough terrain. They host the big Rock Bouncer competitions. There was a group of Jeeps out on the trails. A JT, a few Wranglers, and a CJ. The JT was going places the Wranglers and CJ couldn't follow. The longer wheelbase seemed to really help him get up and over steep ledges. At one point he went up a trail and then winched the CJ up.

Shamelessly taken from the JT gladiator forum:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/the-most-overloaded-jt-i-have-come-across.48899/

This is what the typical consumer is using these rigs for. you are not going to see this rig on any kind of black diamond trail.

Jeep Wrangler JL Considering switch to JT E005F390-2140-468F-B446-7972735CD05F
Are you serious? You realize that the tailgate has a 1,800 lb. static load rating according to engineers, right? Just because one idiot killed his truck doesn't mean the truck is weak. These things have more payload than many of the full size Silverados and Ram 1500s you'll see.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
I have never once in my life seen a JT on anything other than mellow trails and open desert. It's always a 2 door JL or older Toyota Tacoma/4Runner, and in very rare instances JLU 4 doors that are on the black diamond trails such as John Bull, Sherman Pass, etc.

A JT is going to have to be modified extensively to navigate the hard core black diamond trails.
A Mojave isn’t intended for trails, it is meant to be a desert runner.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Must be magic. A pickup truck doing pickup truck things and doing it like a champ. Who knew?

2021-06-17_1624576516465.png

20210627_152049.jpg

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Two of my Friends, have owned several Wranglers each. They both now have new Mojave's. These have factory tuned Suspensions for the Desert. A rear locker that can also be run in 4Hi. They both have said, that these are their favorite Rides by far. If I was to get a Gladiator, it would be the Mojave. But, I believe that the Gladiator Sport, with towing package, will give one the most towing capacity. Partially do to the 850 Watt engine cooling capacity fan motor.

jeepnjam

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
I made the move from a 2 door JL to a JT and then back to a JLU Rubicon 392.

From the perspective of someone that uses their Jeeps to off road in the Southeast US - the JT is really big on the trail. In my opinion the JLU is the more ideal size for my needs. I thought would like the utility of the JT truck, but its so damn big and under powered. Also, I found that I am not really all that into the overland set up.
Sponsored