Sponsored

Anyone considering trading their JL for a JT Gladiator?

Digiwolf

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Nope only full size trucks for me, baby bed and low tow/hauling is next to worthless.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It's funny to me how many people are still lambasting the Gladiator over its "tiny bed" that's "worthless" when it's the exact same size as the bed on every truck in the class, and its bed is only 6-7" shorter than your typical full size truck bed.

When you drop the tailgate on a Gladiator you've got a 7.5 foot load floor. I've hauled everything I've ever wanted in the Gladiator. It was FAR more practical and usable than the JL from the standpoint of doing chores/work.

The Wrangler has a 850 lb. payload. With my family of 5 inside I had 50 lbs. left. Guess I could haul some groceries home from the store?

The Gladiator doubled that ability and was legally useful for camping, which the Wrangler isn't.

Knowing is half the battle.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
It's funny to me how many people are still lambasting the Gladiator over its "tiny bed" that's "worthless" when it's the exact same size as the bed on every truck in the class, and its bed is only 6-7" shorter than your typical full size truck bed.

When you drop the tailgate on a Gladiator you've got a 7.5 foot load floor. I've hauled everything I've ever wanted in the Gladiator. It was FAR more practical and usable than the JL from the standpoint of doing chores/work.

The Wrangler has a 850 lb. payload. With my family of 5 inside I had 50 lbs. left. Guess I could haul some groceries home from the store?

The Gladiator doubled that ability and was legally useful for camping, which the Wrangler isn't.

Knowing is half the battle.
As they say, "horses for courses." Totally depends on your use case. My wife had a Tacoma TRD for many years before we met and that continued after we met until she finally went electric. She's an artist who works with power tools, often hauled stuff in the truck. Way back when I had a Toyota p/u (pre Tacoma nomenclature), had a shell on it and Yakima racks, used it mostly to haul bicycles and music gear. There was a time in my life and hers where neither could imagine not having a truck.

Fast forward to today, I thought about a truck before going with the JL but neither of us has the use case to support it. I still haul music gear, but I've optimized my rig over the years to fit in a hatchback so it fits in the back of the JL no problem (no back seat - the kid is grown and I don't have/haul friends :) ). Frankly easier and safer to carry that stuff in an enclosed vehicle. The wife has downsized the scale of many of her sculptures, and if she needs to get something bulky she rents a u-haul truck or van for the day. Way cheaper than a truck payment...

As for the original question, certainly a "no" from here, but I also wouldn't want an Unlimited for some of the same reasons. I really like the shorter footprint and turning radius along with the aesthetics. But totally YMMV.

Sponsored

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm thinking of trading in my JLU Rubi for a JT Rubi and outfitting it with a AT Overland camper topper, Goose Gear platform and boxes, 'fridge, AEV lift w/35" BFG All Terrain's, factory steel bumper, factory LED light option, and living in it for a year with my pup while exploring all over the US and Canada.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I'm thinking of trading in my JLU Rubi for a JT Rubi and outfitting it with a AT Overland camper topper, Goose Gear platform and boxes, 'fridge, AEV lift w/35" BFG All Terrain's, factory steel bumper, factory LED light option, and living in it for a year with my pup while exploring all over the US and Canada.
Why not just do that all with your JL? I went away from trucks because no matter what kind of topper you have (at least every one I have tried) all your gear ends up covered in dust, which is a miserable way to set up a camp, at least out in the desert that was my experience.

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I’m still considering that. I like the bed idea so I can sit in the back and work in a desk like area. It also just gives more room to move around if I’m caught in foul weather and need to stay inside the vehicle for long periods of time. The AluCab canopy boasts a dust free camper. I’m waiting hear back from AT Overland regarding the same. I agree, dust is an issue. Regular camper shells certainly let the dust in!

McCloude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD / 2019 WK2 TH
We did consider it. But the JL is upsidedown and it's not worth the money for a want. She's content with her gc trailhawk (we just took that offroad last weekend), and getting a JT with a manual doesn't make a whole lot of sense, if you want to use it for truck stuff. I'll keep my JL and her WK2.

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old go-cart from 1973
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
We use a Gladiator for one of the balloon teams and it pulls the big trailer great and is a wonderful chase vehicle. On another team we use a JK Rubicon with a smaller trailer with no problem at all. Having the roof and doors off makes it even more fun!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone considering trading their JL for a JT Gladiator? BFC490CD-2E14-41CD-965E-53A60B0A446B

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i keep looking at the gladiator and watching the prices to see if one pops up at a really good price. i'm still debating wether or not i like the overall design. i'm still thinking jeep will release a 2 door version. eitherway, i'm keeping my jl and maybe add another jeep.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I know this is an older thread, but my answer is still no I’m not considering it. I use my jeep to wheel a lot more than I thought I would and the longer wheel base would be an issue. The 4 door is already enough of a disadvantage in Most cases, and an advantage in only a few.

Last edited:

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I was half looking at the Gladiator last year as it rolled out. I had a 2016 KL and was considering the JT when it was trade in time. Then the accident totalled the KL. Started looking, and I love the Mojito! Green. If the dealer hadn't had the Hulk on the lot, I’d be driving a JT. I don’t regret it
Sponsored