Sponsored

Confession time…

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Many moons ago on a TJ. Lived in Iowa at the time. Bright sunny day., top off, doors off. Drove to a job a couple hundred miles away. Came out of the building to find a torrential downpour that lasted all the way home. Ruined a suit and soaked my wallet to such an extent that the papers in it were “ mushy”. Didn’t do my leather briefcase any good either..😏
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
"Someone I know" was taking the doors off a JK. The himges were sticky and it didn't want to come out. Wrestling with it caused the hinges to pop and I... I mean, "my friend" lost his grip and dropped the door. Right on my... er, his foot. Broke 2 toes and required several stitches.

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
My high-lift jack mounts to the tire carrier and the handle sticks up about a foot higher than the top of the Jeep. I only carry it when I go 4 wheeling and take it off as soon as I get home. However, I forgot to remove it once before entering the garage. I heard an awful crunching sound and knew exactly what it was. Luckily the handle hit a soft part of the garage door trim and didn’t damage the tire carrier. It left a 2 inch gash in the top of the door trim, which my wife didn’t appreciate. I now put a step ladder in the garage to block entrance every time I mount the Jack.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I have a bit of a lead foot. I thought changing to a Wrangler, I might calm down a bit... not so much. I was at a stoplight to enter the highway and a car pulled up next to me. Naturally, I took this as a challenge (said in my Jordan voice). It was January, the roads were slightly slippery and when the light turned green, I took off. When I got to the slight curve, the rear lost traction for a second... I fishtailed before regaining traction.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I was 16 and had a stock Samurai. I thought id change my oil, using metal ramps on the grass. Tore up the yard getting unstuck and got my ass beat on top of the embarrassment.

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Here's a good one for you that happened to me a few years ago. The wife was at the store and I got bored, decided to go pull the passenger seat out of my JK in prep for an upcoming project to replace the tore up seat foam. It's July in NC and my shop isn't air conditioned, so I figure I'll just stay in my skivvies and not get clothes all sweaty. So, in my skivvies and flip flops I'm pulling this seat out of the Jeep. My shop's a bit tight and after I got the seat bolts out I lift up the seat and spin around, knocking over my "portable" compressor in the process. All ~100ish lbs of that thing land on top of my foot. The pain was instant and almost dropped me to my knees, but I'm wedged between the wall and the Jeep, holding that stupid seat. Manage to hobble over to my work bench and drop the seat on it and hear the wife pulling in the driveway. I'm too much of a wuss to look at my foot because it feels like it's broken and if I see bone sticking out I'm gonna puke and faint.

So here I am now hobbling across the back yard in my undies and flip flops while the wife was unloading groceries, cussing up a storm and hollering for some assistance. Get inside before she notices what's going on and she gets me laid out on the couch with a bag of peas on my foot (fresh from the freezer section!). 10-15 minutes go by and I ask her to take a look at my foot cause I'm too big of a wuss. BIG mistake. She takes one look and does a scream/gasp that shoves my heart up into my throat. The top of my foot had a perfectly round goose egg about two inches tall sticking up, that was so dark purple it was almost black. Ended up just needing ace wrap and limited duty for a few months, but dang if it wasn't a lesson learned - always wear closed toe shoes with your skivvies when doing Jeep work.

Last edited:

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR M/T
I'm pretty sure the sunrider function on soft tops was designed as a feeler gauge for lift/tires. When you leave it open (if you haven't done it yet, you will), it needs to clear your garage door. If not, no tires/lift for you.

EJH220

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Rubicon Recon / 20 Aviator / 22 Bronco Sport
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has these kinds of moments. My most recent was leaving my Bestop Trektop Ultra flipped back, but not down, and driving in to the garage. Have 35s and a Mopar 2" lift. Made lots of noise but appears to have not damaged anything. Lesson learned...

Sponsored

OP
OP
DHW

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
This thread may actually be of service to the community instead of solely comedic purposes. How many more people are going to check the soft top before entering the garage after reading these posts... Especially after the pics from @Black Rubi JL

Funny thing is my last apt parking deck was pretty high until the second level. Many times I was just driving on in then slamming on the brakes in a panic just before the second level only to realize the top was closed. It was pure instinct at that point.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I never have nor ever will do anything dumb in my Jeep. I can't afford it! I'm not rich like the rest of you! :LOL:

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I tow a camper with the Jeep all over the US to go wheeling. I get between 12 to 14 mpg towing with 37s. I only got 8 mpg with the 40s. There are places out west that I would not be able to make it from gas station to gas station towing the camper.
Ouch. I hear you. Great datapoint for those considering 40s.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Years ago in my 2001 TJ with a hard top. I was putting the top back on it one Saturday morning and I got interrupted 3 or 4 times as I was putting the top on. Then my nephew came over, and we were going somewhere. Well we jumped in to the TJ and started down the road to get on the highway. Luckily I suddenly realized that I never put the bolts on to secure the hard top to the body. It was just sitting unsecured in place. If I hadn't remember that it wasn't secured if would have been really nice on the highway 70 mph or so and suddenly the hard top flies off. Close call...
Sponsored