IT

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Uniden CMX720. Mount the brain in dash behind glove box with mic out on grab bar. Control everything from mic. Works great on trail. I don't need to be able to talk to Egypt while I'm out in the Jeep! CB is still pretty prevalent in my circle for easy communication.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
I’ve never received a response from my CB. My friends dad was a truck driver and her told me they didn’t use them anymore because cell phones were so accessible and this was a decade ago. Honestly I think they’re good to have but I’d never mount one in my vehicle again, the antenna is a pain in the ass, more useful for mounting a flag but and it gets caught on everything limiting where you can go without taking it off, and the cost of handheld ones are so much better than they used to be. If you need it for a trail club get a handheld one. But this is just like me option though.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
The jeep club I'm in as well as other clubs in my area still use cb's when out on the trail. There aren't enough jeeps carrying GMRS/FRS/HAM yet, at least in my area. I plan on buying buying a GMRS, FRS or HAM handheld soon to use because they are increasing in popularity
I have a couple of handheld Baofeng radios that cover everything BUT CB frequencies. I may just get a handheld CB. My only purpose for having one is for wheeling with different groups.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I’m no radio geek and have no type preference. Only have them because organized events want participants to have one. Seems CB is still the most specified in my event experience. Jeep event fee’s being what they are($$$). It was nice to find Mile High Jeep Club included with registration a hand held Baofeng ham(locked into their private channel) for their All-4-fun week. After that Ham experience it seemed like a good idea to have both. So I now have the CoolTech Cobra CB kit and a hand held BaoFeng UV-82c. Having now a hard mount and hand held, I have come to prefer a hard mounted radio. I always know where to find it and no charger/battery concerns. But that’s just me. If I find a Ham becomes the most spec’d radio for events, I’ll pull the CB and hard mount a Ham unit.

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Where are you guys running the power wire for the CB radio? Through the firewall? Do the Aux switches have wires inside the cab or do they all run under the hood?

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Where are you guys running the power wire for the CB radio? Through the firewall? Do the Aux switches have wires inside the cab or do they all run under the hood?
If you have factory installed Aux Switches there are two power leads in the cable bundle in the passenger footwell. One is ignition switched and the other is constant power. You can use one of those and ground to the negative stud on the body, behind the passenger kick panel.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
If you have factory installed Aux Switches there are two power leads in the cable bundle in the passenger footwell. One is ignition switched and the other is constant power. You can use one of those and ground to the negative stud on the body, behind the passenger kick panel.
Perfect. I do have the factory installed switches. I’ll use those then to save from running a wire through the firewall.
Thanks!

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Perfect. I do have the factory installed switches. I’ll use those then to save from running a wire through the firewall.
Thanks!
You may want to use a 12 volt fuse block for each of these wires if you have more than one accessory that you wish to power. For example I use the switched power for my CB and both the constant power and switched power for my dash cam with parking mode. With the fuse block it is easier to attach multiple devices and have them all protected by fuses.

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just mounted my antenna. Used the Teraflex Mount. Not a bad mount. My SWRs are a bit high so I probably need to ground the antenna/mount. Now to figure out how to do that.

22D66959-F944-4D05-9627-9A38287717EF.jpeg

06ADADEF-7565-4FB4-9716-6AAB5358653A.jpeg

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
I prefer the Quadratec extreme duty tailgate antenna mount that has a ground strap to the body tub but found out that the Quadratec trail flag mount works even better. Its a mirror image that mounts to the drivers side tailgate and offers a lot more room for opening the rear window. Before I always hitting my antenna when opening rear window and this solves the problem. I run a 5' Francis antenna and have very good SWR readings. FYI if you use the Quadratec quick disconnect CB radio mount on a 2 door you will loose the ability to slide the passenger seat up to gain access to the rear seat. I modified mine to hinge open and disconnect to allow for seat operation with a gun magnet to hold it in the closed run position. Experimented with a radio mount at first for the drivers side trans tunnel but found that it rubbed my leg and was just not comfortable .
I also run a Beofeng radio but running a CB on the road in bad weather can be a life saver.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to ground the antenna/mount and it seems to have done the trick. I ended up with a 1.0 swr on channel 1 and a 1.3 swr on channel 40. Super happy with it and glad I was able to make it work. Not sure if it’s much different from those NGP antennas but this seems to have done the trick.

775C4428-9425-4D8C-B089-E29A3542E345.jpeg

221B52D8-61B3-4E9C-8B36-2B0A52955E3E.jpeg

A1B2208F-37FC-44E1-82E7-0672B7B0A2F5.jpeg
Sponsored