Sponsored

CB Radio Install

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
DickZip, what RAM mount/parts did you use to install your cell phone? I see the ball is directly into that screw on the handrail. I want to mount my iPad mini exactly like that...
Rock, if you click on my name and look at my past posts you will see other posts that include info on the ram mounts. The ball I used is used on motorcycle Handel bars.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
I posted this in another thread, but since it has been revived, I'll throw it on here.. I've got the Cooltech antenna mount with Firestick and a Uniden CMX760 CB. I've played around with it a bit and found the range to be pretty good...much better than my JK, which probably needs a CB tune.
qBaUrFd.jpg

KM4iHcy.jpg

KtZkW4E.jpg
Dan, did you scrape any paint off the tailgate for the CoolTech mount? I have terrible SWR / grounding issue. Not sure what to do. I can receive but not transmit further than 100 yards.

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just put in my cobra 75 with cool tech mic and antenna mount. Work out ok but I still need to tune my CB
IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0457.JPG

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Dan, did you scrape any paint off the tailgate for the CoolTech mount? I have terrible SWR / grounding issue. Not sure what to do. I can receive but not transmit further than 100 yards.
No. I think the threads on the bolts make enough contact. You might look at a grounding wire. I'd probably start by calling Cooltech and see what they recommend. Even with a good ground, there really isn't an ideal location for an antenna on a Jeep, due to the soft top or fiberglass hard top.

What antenna are you using?

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
No. I think the threads on the bolts make enough contact. You might look at a grounding wire. I'd probably start by calling Cooltech and see what they recommend. Even with a good ground, there really isn't an ideal location for an antenna on a Jeep, due to the soft top or fiberglass hard top.

Take grounds across your cooltech cable. Overall it's a good setup, but several folks on the forum including me have had bad cables despite being new. I was able to fix the ground myself in the end connector, but very frustrating. Good luck.

Sponsored

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Fire stick lite. I just saw a good video by [Banned Site] using grounding cable on the tailgate door. I ordered on Amazon and will try that. Grounds directly to the frame and hinge bolt. He scraped off all the paint on the bolt as well.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take grounds across your cooltech cable. Overall it's a good setup, but several folks on the forum including me have had bad cables despite being new. I was able to fix the ground myself in the end connector, but very frustrating. Good luck.
Ugh. I hope it’s not a bad cable!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I hope this doesn't sidetrack OP's thread too much but when running the spring is it necessary to run this coupling nut?

The spring is threaded 3/8-24 female so it would be entirely possible to just run the bolt into the spring directly, I'm just not sure if this will affect radio performance

IMG_20190423_205000847.jpg

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
I hope this doesn't sidetrack OP's thread too much but when running the spring is it necessary to run this coupling nut?

The spring is threaded 3/8-24 female so it would be entirely possible to just run the bolt into the spring directly, I'm just not sure if this will affect radio performance

IMG_20190423_205000847.jpg
As long as your SWRs are in range you're good.

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Ugh. I hope it’s not a bad cable!
Yeah... I routed it through the entire interior before discovering it. Not a great weekend.

Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Here is another mounting option I have used for the Uniden radio. It would work for bigger units, too.

The middle console is anchored by a pair of pretty beefy M6 bolts, which may be used to hold the base unit in place:
bPuelYIyHk3kpccLG7Uiuk8LbduPfjrDovkF1Pn_hrggNvEymRyJkdw6O56YHXaPYBn4M5yejg-NBdrzCmcX8sK1=s937-no.jpg

I replaced the stock M6 x 30mm bolt by an M6 x 40mm version, and added a spacer and washers to hold the slide-in frame in place.
haI3OHtQlcxP7HqjQGK4g4QFjsTr4gIayfGJzlKyAv2sVwtlwHM57mlmfRgVHxqt9-da0NBz-d9-m1ARe6W7FIha=s937-no.jpg

um45Kbk3eKEfLFtbpvLA0we-ek3I1btS_z0hSQ2KTe98dIY0xeW4GonS_wfGDzZ2pjIxGiqxws5pqTkiGSpzRqZL=s937-no.jpg

this setup allows me to quickly remove and stow the radio (e.g. when parking doorless).
OvrG95EHMSI_H8u0cHdQ1999U1znDH8aE3qTiGIzBSLtiU7zQ6cANTGFmAYR_-PGGdiMkqtBPvehZ7ZwDSJE3f4S=s938-no.jpg
Sponsored