Ive just installed my cobra CB radio

kellyc33

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Rubicon, Subaru Outback
The radio works great, no tuning needed.
But you definitely need the external speaker or connect it to the radio.
Ive used my rechargeable speaker because i also wanted to listen to music, really happy with the outcome
I'm glad your happy with your new radio. Because of your recommendations, I'll find a place to mount an external speaker.
Sponsored

mjsull

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Auto, Granite Crystal, Tan leather, Black Hard Top w/ Headliner, Steel Bumpers, LEDs, Cold Weather, Infotainment, Safety and Tow Group, Remote Start, Proximity Entry, Mopar Mats
I just did the identical installation yesterday. Works like a charm.

kellyc33

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just did the identical installation yesterday. Works like a charm.
Did you consider wiring the unit directly to the battery to avoid any chance of a fire? I have read on other threads that the stub wires provided from the aux switches are easy to connect with, but are not recommended for radio type hookups.
http://www.k0bg.com/wiring.html

darkcheff

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Did you consider wiring the unit directly to the battery to avoid any chance of a fire? I have read on other threads that the stub wires provided from the aux switches are easy to connect with, but are not recommended for radio type hookups.
http://www.k0bg.com/wiring.html
This is very true when tapping into existing wiring like a cigarette lighter or other established sources. The Aux switches and provided cables are exatly what you would do aftermarket directly to the battery or a switch bank somewhere. Not the same and it is perfectly safe to use these Aux cables

Sponsored

kellyc33

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is very true when tapping into existing wiring like a cigarette lighter or other established sources. The Aux switches and provided cables are exatly what you would do aftermarket directly to the battery or a switch bank somewhere. Not the same and it is perfectly safe to use these Aux cables
Good to know that it is a safe install. I am doing mine on Thursday and will do basically the same thing as the video shows. I will also be installing a auxiliary speaker to enhance the sound.( i'm old and can't hear well). I'll take some pics and post results.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Just something I found on the Cobra. As soon as you plug in a 3.5mm cable, it cuts off the internal speaker. I was going to leave a cord connected, and then plug into the "Aux" radio jack as needed, but I cannot. So I skipped the external speaker idea. The good news is the Cobra is very loud.

Rubi Blue

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Cherokee, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 2013 Volvo S80, 2017 Yamaha Wolverine, 2002 Kawasaki KLR, 1970 Honda Mini Trail 70
I'll post more pictures when I get it done. But I ran out of time today to finish the job. I got a new one for you all from Jeep, a "FU" if you will. I couldn't find the aux wiring under the dash. Did find a single taped wire over on the passenger side firewall, still curious what that wire is for. But my friend and I thought it was weird that there was a wire harness with so much extra wire that came in one hole and went out another hole. I scrapped away the tape in the middle, saw it was 6 wires and the colors matched. Cut the the constant power wire in the middle, and tested to see what side the power was coming from. It was coming from the main wiring loom, so then I tried to pull out the other end, caught under foam insulation and the HVAC parts, but it wouldn't budge. Ended up just cutting the wiring bundle right at the foam, and shrink tubing new ends "Safety" ends on for now. Wonder if anyone else has had that issue?

So I bought a 3' 1/8" to 1/8" audio cable that I plan to hook to the the Aux outlet on the Cobra and make available to plug into the aux audio input on the dash. this will be my backup if I need more volume. The cobra is plenty loud.

I mounted mine under the seat. Took off seat, pulled back carpet, and screwed it right to the steel cross member, cut a hole in the carpet for the "dongle" to stick through. I ran out of time, so tomorrow I need to pull the seat, and tune it, and also put in the 1/8" jack. Will post more pictures then.

Thanks Jeep, you slowed me down a lot today. But thank you for the extra grounding screw, that was nice of you.

wires.JPG
wires2.JPG
Just noticed you have a Blue Rubi too! I don't see too many this color (I understand even more rare that Mojito Green!). Nice choice and good info in your post!

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I also mounted mine behind the glove box. Here's how I did mine.

FYI: that pipe gets about 150 degrees plus... I would not mount the head unit there. The reason I know, is I was doing the same install, but I had the jeep on with the heater going because it was really cold that night.. and my hand touched it and too my surprise it was blazing hot..

just my 2 cents...

Magnetdragon

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu!!
FYI: that pipe gets about 150 degrees plus... I would not mount the head unit there. The reason I know, is I was doing the same install, but I had the jeep on with the heater going because it was really cold that night.. and my hand touched it and too my surprise it was blazing hot..

just my 2 cents...
Yup.. I figured that out pretty quick . I moved it to a plastic part close to it

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Good to know that it is a safe install. I am doing mine on Thursday and will do basically the same thing as the video shows. I will also be installing a auxiliary speaker to enhance the sound.( i'm old and can't hear well). I'll take some pics and post results.
Where did you mount your external speaker?

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Where did you mount your external speaker?
I mounted mine right in front of the 4x4 Shifter. I don't have a picture handy right now, can take one later if you need to see it.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I mounted mine right in front of the 4x4 Shifter. I don't have a picture handy right now, can take one later if you need to see it.
If you don't mind a picture would be great. Just can't make up my mind. Going to do the install this weekend. Thanks!

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
5D3ACDA3-48D6-464A-B476-810EDF0EDE0B.jpeg

It just fits. I have industrial Velcro on bottom and near the top backside. No rattles. Can move to clean. Great sound from that location, often people don’t realize the sounds is not coming from the CB.

If you don't mind a picture would be great. Just can't make up my mind. Going to do the install this weekend. Thanks!

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Another angle.

86C793CB-3F83-42C9-B762-4709CAEEDB43.jpeg
Sponsored