Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Too much caster. Death wobble can get worse with too much caster. I made this mistake. I’m now around 5.8 degrees which seems to be the sweet spot for me. Make sure and get the toe set once the caster is corrected.
What's the angle you have at the spot near the pumpkin of your front axle?
Sponsored

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
What's the angle you have at the spot near the pumpkin of your front axle?

I had it aligned and the caster was 5.8 degrees. My angle finder isn’t the most accurate but I get a reading between 5.5 to 6.0 on top of the ball joint depending on how i turn it. At the flat spot on the front of the pumpkin I’m getting about 90 degrees from the garage floor. Not sure if that tells you anything. I’m not sure the slope of my garage floor which could swing the numbers a little.

Last edited:

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I had it aligned and the caster was 5.8 degrees. My angle finder isn’t the most accurate but I get a reading between 5.5 to 6.0 on top of the ball joint depending on how i turn it. At the flat spot on the front of the pumpkin I’m getting about 90 degrees from the garage floor. Not sure if that tells you anything. I’m not sure the slope of my garage floor which could swing the numbers a little.
Yes it does, thank you very much!

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
Yes it does, thank you very much!
From looking at everything in this thread it appears that if the pinion angle is at 0 degrees the caster is about 6 degrees. Is this correct?

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
From looking at everything in this thread it appears that if the pinion angle is at 0 degrees the caster is about 6 degrees. Is this correct?

More or less, ya. I'm not sure why way-oh-life Eddy lists 88 degrees at the pumpkin but that would bring the caster pretty far out I think. Just got done adjusting again for caster after reading through this thread again .Mopar lift with 37s and a cheap Amazon digital guage that bounced from 5.8-6.3 is where I got it. Here's the photos I got to help. I only have front LCAs.

IMG_20190104_100658.jpg

IMG_20190104_100730.jpg

IMG_20190104_101609.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
More or less, ya. I'm not sure why [Banned Site] edit lists 88 degrees at the pumpkin but that would bring the caster pretty far out I think. Just got done adjusting again for caster after reading through this thread again .Mopar lift with 37s and a cheap Amazon digital guage that bounced from 5.8-6.3 is where I got it. Here's the photos I got to help. I only have front LCAs.

IMG_20190104_100658.jpg

IMG_20190104_100730.jpg

IMG_20190104_101609.jpg
Good references

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Anyone with JUST front LCAs and a lift that can measure length? I stopped at 4wp the other day since they're local and competent but they are so backed up they told me they couldn't even get me in till the first week of January .
The one in Dallas north of DFW airport told me they couldn't get me in until mid February.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you haven't already I would watch the front end with someone inside your jeep quickly turning the wheel back and forth while it's running. You might find some slop in something that you can't physically get to move by hand.
I did. Had the wife go short range back & forth for a good 2-3 minutes while I looked at and held/felt every joint & bearing I could get my hands on. The ONLY one that felt a little suspicious was the ball joint connecting the pitman arm to the drag link. It rotates freely (as it should being a ball, but not sure it should be that free...) but there was a slight 'click' with each directional change. I checked for loose hardware and none found.
I wonder if the steering box is bad??

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9 degrees of caster is tooo much...... I think you should be able to find a sweet spot +/- 6 degrees..... Good Luck chasing your gremlins
I agree 9 is too much but I tried 5.5, 6, 6.5, etc. I don't have digital, just a dial pointer but it's still close enough. The wobble won't go away.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More or less, ya. I'm not sure why [Banned Site] edit lists 88 degrees at the pumpkin but that would bring the caster pretty far out I think. Just got done adjusting again for caster after reading through this thread again .Mopar lift with 37s and a cheap Amazon digital guage that bounced from 5.8-6.3 is where I got it. Here's the photos I got to help. I only have front LCAs.

IMG_20190104_100658.jpg

IMG_20190104_100730.jpg

IMG_20190104_101609.jpg
Nice pictures. Is the last one your lower control arm length? I started with 24 7/16" and went up from there. Maybe I need to back it off the other way...

Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Nice pictures. Is the last one your lower control arm length? I started with 24 7/16" and went up from there. Maybe I need to back it off the other way...
Yes it is. I' come back all the way from 25 inches!!! Back when I mistakenly thought 90 degrees at the pumpkin was 0 caster. Now the only thing is changed is the steering wheel is more precise to respond, still no wobbles. That with Nexus 2.2 set to medium and my falcon shocks set to 2.3 and it's just an incredible drive (for a Wrangler at least).

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I agree 9 is too much but I tried 5.5, 6, 6.5, etc. I don't have digital, just a dial pointer but it's still close enough. The wobble won't go away.
I still had a Little bump wobble going over expansion joints and other oddities on the road that went away on their own pretty quickly. Falcon Nexus stabilizer took that away immediately and now I never, ever have that bump ever after a nearly 2000 mile road trip.

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Looks like Salty is at 23 15/16" for 6 degrees caster.

Just installed the Rusty's LCA's. My stock LCA's measured at 23 15/16" center to center, giving me 3 degrees with my 2.5" lift. I ended up lengthening my LCA's roughly 7/16" (5.5 full turns out), which gave me 6 degrees caster (measured 0 degrees at the pinion flange). Drives better than ever now, one-finger steering at 75 mph! Hopefully this will help solve my steering wobble as well. I installed the Falcon 2.2 stabilizer weeks ago, but still felt that was just masking the issue.

saltyaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Looks like Salty is at 23 15/16" for 6 degrees caster.
Not exactly. That had me at 3 degrees. Ended up at roughly 24 3/8" for 6 degrees. I should add that this seems to have totally solved my flighty steering.
Sponsored