Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Jubi351

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
My dealer told me that the corrosion warranty only applied if there was a physical hole in the exterior of the vehicles panel. Bubbling on 2 hinges and warranty denied. YRMV
Sponsored

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
My dealer told me that the corrosion warranty only applied if there was a physical hole in the exterior of the vehicles panel. Bubbling on 2 hinges and warranty denied. YRMV
Did you ask the dealership why Jeep corporate and many dealerships have covered it throughout the US.

Did you show/tell dealership:
There is a TSB
Known factory defect
Quality control issues

Jubi351

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Oh yes and he was very aware of the issues. They fixed a customers Jeep and were not reimbursed from FCA due to the reason above after initially being approved. My dealership does not have a body shop so they sub'd out the work.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Oh yes and he was very aware of the issues. They fixed a customers Jeep and were not reimbursed from FCA due to the reason above after initially being approved. My dealership does not have a body shop so they sub'd out the work.
That is very weird. Before any dealership does any warranty work like this - they almost always would get it pre-approved by FCA beforehand. Our dealer did this twice using supplied pictures I took. Both times subbed out. Both times fully paid out in full by FCA. One after 3 years.

Interestingly - my dealer no longer is offering to do this because it is apparently not worth their time. Since they make no money from the bodywork repairs. So recommended we contact another FCA dealer with a body shop.

Luckily we have 4 other dealers with body shops in our area. One I contacted told me no problem. Just make sure to bring it in before my 5 year warranty expires. He could see under my VIN system file - all the previous corrosion paint repairs completed from the other dealer under warranty. In total FCA has paid out around $20K so far.

So expect variances and expect different answers from whoever you talk to. If you can find one - get this done while you still can under the 5 year corrosion warranty.

Jubi351

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
I appreciate the info. There is another Jeep dealer about 20 miles away. I will give them a try.

Sponsored

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I appreciate the info. There is another Jeep dealer about 20 miles away. I will give them a try.
Don’t give up. My dealership did not have a body shop and had to send it out to get repaired. Call your dealership and ask for the the owner or just show up and ask for the Jeep dealership owner, call Jeep Corporate, and if none of that works call a lawyer.

Tell the dealership owner that you are about to make a very large SUV purchase and are considering the Jeep Grand Wagoner-which is near $90,000 +/-.. but why would you do that if the paint starts bubbling after just 3years and Jeep or the dealership would not stand behind their product.

That’s what I did.. Got the Jeep JL hinges repaired and then we bought a new Range Rover for her instead of the Jeep Grand Wagoner.

Last edited:

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Don’t give up. My dealership did not have a body shop and had to send it out to get repaired. Call your dealership and ask for the the owner or just show up and ask for the Jeep dealership owner, call Jeep Corporate, and if none of that works call a lawyer.

Tell the dealership owner that you are about to make a very large SUV purchase and are considering the Jeep Grand Wagoner-which is near $90,000 +/-.. but why would you do that if the paint starts bubbling after just 3years and Jeep or the dealership would not stand behind their product.

That’s what I did.. Got the Jeep JL hinges repaired and then we bought a new Range Rover for her instead of the Jeep Grand Wagoner.
A Range Rover? And you thought Jeep had issues. Hope it goes better for you than the other people I know with RR….

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
A Range Rover? And you thought Jeep had issues. Hope it goes better for you than the other people I know with RR….
This is our 4th Range Rover.
-2000 bought new
-2007 bought new
-2015 bought a 2 year old one (would still have this one but we got hit and it was totaled)
-2021 bought a 1 year old one( replaced the 2015)

They all were great vehicles with no problems. None ever had the hood or doors with bubbling paint. Also very high level of customer service.It’s my wife’s car.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges F2AD9293-E1F4-452C-AD80-EE1E0E8A624F

I like my Jeeps. .. had a few. They are the Ultimate toy. Below is full fall/spring/summer mode … basically 8 months out of the year in California.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 8C651552-5B74-40B4-A6B4-500984630FD9

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I sadly check this thread every week even though I haven’t had the corrosion pop up yet. I know it’s inevitable.

What’s most puzzling is why does the corrosion come back after they dealership has fixed it multiple times? You’d think at some point they’d fix it properly.

Reactions: OBD

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
That is accurate.

However Jeep has agreed to fix the issue for many owners as a special accommodation.

You may need to try through a different dealer if yours is unwilling to fight for you.

Sponsored

LSUjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary Edition
That is accurate.

However Jeep has agreed to fix the issue for many owners as a special accommodation.

You may need to try through a different dealer if yours is unwilling to fight for you.
Has anyone had their Jeep hood fixed that also had already had PPF applied to it? If they have to repaint the hood they will have to remove the PPF first and then will they reapply it again? I don't want to have to pay for another PPF install on my hood. Thanks

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Checking in. I’ll be contacting my local dealer this week for information. I may be out of the 5 year window.

ek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Private
This is our 4th Range Rover.
-2000 bought new
-2007 bought new
-2015 bought a 2 year old one (would still have this one but we got hit and it was totaled)
-2021 bought a 1 year old one( replaced the 2015)

They all were great vehicles with no problems. None ever had the hood or doors with bubbling paint. Also very high level of customer service.It’s my wife’s car.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 8C651552-5B74-40B4-A6B4-500984630FD9

I like my Jeeps. .. had a few. They are the Ultimate toy. Below is full fall/spring/summer mode … basically 8 months out of the year in California.
Most people that believe Land Rovers have crappy reliability are still living in the year 2002 or so, when LRs were powered by BMW engines. This is when Ford (the owner of Jaguar/Land Rover back then) decided to switch to their own (JLR) engines and that process was handled horribly (major electrical problems, etc.). In reality, modern LRs are very reliable. I had a 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged from 2007 to 2010 and it had 3 problems in the 3 years I owned it - a burned out bulb in a dashboard, a failed air suspension compressor valve and defective sway bar bushings. All was covered by warranty without any issues. Now I have a 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (which I bought in 2015) and other then standard wear and tear items (hoses, seals, shocks, etc.) it had very few issues in the 8 years I had it. The paint on it is definitely perfect and the body is aluminum, so no rust issues, ever. A friend has a 5-year old Discovery that had very few minor issues (all covered under warranty) over the years. Ex-wife had 2 RR Evoques in a row (a 2018 and a 2021) - both only had a few very minor warranty issues).

Land Rover dealers also give you loaners (which are most often brand new cars) when your car is in the shop, so you don't have to worry about finding something to drive.

The key with owning these cars is to religiously follow maintenance schedules and use only authentic OEM parts and fluids. It eliminates 99% of the issues.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Most people that believe Land Rovers have crappy reliability are still living in the year 2002 or so, when LRs were powered by BMW engines. This is when Ford (the owner of Jaguar/Land Rover back then) decided to switch to their own (JLR) engines and that process was handled horribly (major electrical problems, etc.). In reality, modern LRs are very reliable. I had a 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged from 2007 to 2010 and it had 3 problems in the 3 years I owned it - a burned out bulb in a dashboard, a failed air suspension compressor valve and defective sway bar bushings. All was covered by warranty without any issues. Now I have a 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (which I bought in 2015) and other then standard wear and tear items (hoses, seals, shocks, etc.) it had very few issues in the 8 years I had it. The paint on it is definitely perfect and the body is aluminum, so no rust issues, ever. A friend has a 5-year old Discovery that had very few minor issues (all covered under warranty) over the years. Ex-wife had 2 RR Evoques in a row (a 2018 and a 2021) - both only had a few very minor warranty issues).

Land Rover dealers also give you loaners (which are most often brand new cars) when your car is in the shop, so you don't have to worry about finding something to drive.

The key with owning these cars is to religiously follow maintenance schedules and use only authentic OEM parts and fluids. It eliminates 99% of the issues.
I don’t know from a personal ownership, but two of my work colleagues have owned LRs in the last year. One had a buyback offer after dealer was unable to repair engine noise issues after 90 days in the shop. The other colleague has one with the supercharged motor…loves it but has spent many thousands in repairs in last year. It has about 100,000 miles…nice vehicle but a big money suck. I know the Jeep might be bad….but things like air suspension and AC compressors apparently are very expensive on these things. I’m glad you’ve had good luck but I’ve mostly heard bad thing about LRs , including newer versions.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Wow it has been years since I have been here. I have a bit of advice for anyone that has this issue or is thinking of buying a Jeep Wrangler JL.....

If you are going to buy one DON'T
If you own one that is pealing trade it

Bottom line all manufacturers have issues. It is how they deal with those issues that is important. At this point I will NEVER buy an FCA or Stellantis product again. I have had other vehicles with issues where the manufacturer does the right thing. I will be buying from those manufacturers again and not Stellantis!

TLDR

Steering (death wobble)

I had the front end steering issue on my factory ordered JL picked up May 6th 2018. This was just resolved Jan 2023. First time replaced damper, second time at 34k miles they told me I had to replace all tires and have a 4 wheel alignment (LOL at that) done. I wanted a rate on a new set of tires as they prematurely wore due to the death wobble on a stock unmodified Jeep. I got the middle finger to that and had to put 4 new tires on it and make sure the front end was in alignment. I was then told they have been waiting a month for a stabilizer for another customer. I could not wait as it was not drivable any longer on highways. I put a Tera flex in and less than a year later the problem started again. This time I was told that because I put in an aftermarket part it is not covered!!!!! What in the actual F$%K!!!!!! When it went in for paint they replaced my steering damper and stated that a lot of the bolts in the front end suspension were not torqued properly. So far so good on that end. It "appears" to be fixed.

Paint

I noticed summer of 2022 the paint bubble on all eight hinges on all four doors. Called Jeep Cares to initiate a case first and was told to find a dealership. I got all the different excuses people have stated already. I was finally able to get my dealership to do the warranty work by force.

Dropped off November 28th 2022 and was not completed until January 17th 2023. Just over 11 weeks. My dealer gave me a 2018 Jeep Compass with bald tires in the winter in New England!

Now Jeep is offering me a cash and keep offer.....

They do not pay for blending into other panels. My Jeep now looks like I went to the junk yard and took four doors off another jeep and just bolted them up. The body shop damaged my rocker panel and did not even blend the paint there. They also did not remove the side step so there is a tape line. You can also see black at every point they "repaired" the corrosion bleeding through the paint. One of my doors literally has 4 different shades of paint. They did not install one of the window gaskets correctly and they got overspray from the front to the back of the inside of my premium soft top. There are a few drips in the paint and areas that are orange peel and or over spray that was not buffed out properly.

I had a 2015 JK that I loved and the only reason I bought the JL was because I loved the color Orange and could not get it at the time I got my 2015. If I wanted to replace my Jeep today it would cost me 53K with the same options. Seriously nothing they offer even comes close to making me whole after also having to deal with just getting them to "fix" it if you call this a fix!

DO NOT BUY ANY JEEP BRAND PRODUCTS! THE MANUFACTURERE DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THIER PRODUCT. YOU WILL BE OUT A LOT OF MONEY, TIME AND BE GIVEN A LOT OF FRUSTRATION!!!!!

DO NOT BUY FROM:

COLONIAL DODGE CHRYSLER JEEP RAM
24 COOLIDGE STREET, HUDSON, MASSACHUSSETTS
Sponsored