Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

ek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Private
I don’t know from a personal ownership, but two of my work colleagues have owned LRs in the last year. One had a buyback offer after dealer was unable to repair engine noise issues after 90 days in the shop. The other colleague has one with the supercharged motor…loves it but has spent many thousands in repairs in last year. It has about 100,000 miles…nice vehicle but a big money suck. I know the Jeep might be bad….but things like air suspension and AC compressors apparently are very expensive on these things. I’m glad you’ve had good luck but I’ve mostly heard bad thing about LRs , including newer versions.
One thing that's a fact is that Land Rover parts are more expensive, apples to apples. For example, the A/C compressor for a 2012-2018 Wrangler has an MSRP of $720, while the A/C compressor for my 2013 Range Rover Sport has an MSRP of $991. Also, Land Rover dealer's service labor rate is probably double the Jeep's. And yes, LR air suspension is significantly more complicated. You have U+L control arms, active air springs, electronically adjustable shocks, auto-leveling, full-time four-wheel drive with a two-speed transfer case, their Terrain Response system (basically various 4WD modes). All of that is electronically controlled and has a bunch of sensors. It's not that it's less reliable, but it's definitely more complicated expensive to maintain than the Wrangler.

Many people don't want to pay dealer labor rates, so they take these poor Land Rovers to Pep Boys or just ignore maintenance altogether and then either pay 2x to get them fixed or just trade them in.

The ride quality with the air suspension is like no other and the 5.0L Supercharged V8 does not hurt either.
Sponsored

rjpaterson

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Just got my 2019 Wrangler back from dealer after 5 weeks for getting hood and all 4 doors repaired and painted. Unfortunately it was raining when I picked it up but now that it stopped and the sun came out and the vehicle is dry I am completely disgusted.

Wasted 5 weeks and numerous calls and emails to Jeep customer service and dealer and the paint no where near matches the original - I am sure any non color blind person can see what was painted and what was not in the attached photo.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges IMG_1077

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
When this happens to mine I am going to pay out of pocket for blending or full adjacent panel painting. Going to suck, but I will not dealing with mismatched panels.

rjpaterson

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When this happens to mine I am going to pay out of pocket for blending or full adjacent panel painting. Going to suck, but I will not dealing with mismatched panels.
I agree, but I am stumped how a dealers service manager and their own body shop manager approved this and let it leave this way. I guess Lesson learned the hard way, I should have just bit the bullet and got the entire jeep rhino coated ;)

@JeepCares - should be JEEP DOESN'T CARE.

ToothMechanic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet JLUR
So I've just noticed this just creeping around the underside edge of my hood on one side (left). 2021 JLUR in the south.

It's not too bad or noticeable right now.

Three questions if anyone can answer:

1. What is the warranty duration for this?

2. How does this progress? Is advised to treat it immediately or just deal with it and hope it remains small?

3. It seems to me that overall people here are unhappy with the resprays on the doors. Does anyone have experience with a respray on the hood edge?

Thanks

Sponsored

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
So I've just noticed this just creeping around the underside edge of my hood on one side (left). 2021 JLUR in the south.

2. How does this progress? Is advised to treat it immediately or just deal with it and hope it remains small?

3. It seems to me that overall people here are unhappy with the resprays on the doors. Does anyone have experience with a respray on the hood edge?

Thanks

Attachments

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
RETIRED!
Corrosion warranty is for 5 years/60K miles. I am in the process of getting mine approved for repairs. The dealer had me get two estimates, one was really low (and the body shop has not done any of these repairs before) the second one was about $2300 higher and he's already done 6-8 Jeeps. The dealer said they nor I have any say-so as to which body shop get the job. If they (Jeep) select the low price one, I will pay the difference and have the higher price guy do it.

He is replacing all of the lower hinges, all of the bolts on the doors and hood and he uses that same green aluminum primer that they put on aircraft to keep the aluminum on planes from corroding.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corrosion warranty is for 5 years/60K miles. I am in the process of getting mine approved for repairs. The dealer had me get two estimates, one was really low (and the body shop has not done any of these repairs before) the second one was about $2300 higher and he's already done 6-8 Jeeps. The dealer said they nor I have any say-so as to which body shop get the job. If they (Jeep) select the low price one, I will pay the difference and have the higher price guy do it.

He is replacing all of the lower hinges, all of the bolts on the doors and hood and he uses that same green aluminum primer that they put on aircraft to keep the aluminum on planes from corroding.
Unlimited mileage.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 1675658657045

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my 2019 Wrangler back from dealer after 5 weeks for getting hood and all 4 doors repaired and painted. Unfortunately it was raining when I picked it up but now that it stopped and the sun came out and the vehicle is dry I am completely disgusted.

Wasted 5 weeks and numerous calls and emails to Jeep customer service and dealer and the paint no where near matches the original - I am sure any non color blind person can see what was painted and what was not in the attached photo.

IMG_1077.jpg
Exactly what happened to mine - same color Granite Crystal. had to repaint 3 times: first spot repair/blend, second whole panels, and ultimately the entire side of the jeep because they couldn't get it to match. And then the quality was sub-par when that was done.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...doors-and-had-it-repaired.78523/#post-1660370

rjpaterson

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks
My drivers side hood edge is where it all started. once the dealer had it in their possession they noticed more issues. so, they have already painted the entire hood and all 4 doors (WHICH NONE MATCH THE NON PAINTED PANELS). Based on what I can see, they didn't even attempt to repair & Blend they just decided to repaint entire panels. Unless they did attempt it and saw it was wrong and this was "THEIR ATTEMPT TO FIX" the botched job as they did have it for almost 5 weeks

I have a meeting with Service and body shop managers in about an hour and see what their PLAN is to rectify the situation.

I have been asking the same same questions about what happens now if it starts appearing on other panels or re-appearing and dealer has not answers for me.

Sponsored

ToothMechanic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet JLUR
My drivers side hood edge is where it all started. once the dealer had it in their possession they noticed more issues. so, they have already painted the entire hood and all 4 doors (WHICH NONE MATCH THE NON PAINTED PANELS). Based on what I can see, they didn't even attempt to repair & Blend they just decided to repaint entire panels. Unless they did attempt it and saw it was wrong and this was "THEIR ATTEMPT TO FIX" the botched job as they did have it for almost 5 weeks

I have a meeting with Service and body shop managers in about an hour and see what their PLAN is to rectify the situation.

I have been asking the same same questions about what happens now if it starts appearing on other panels or re-appearing and dealer has not answers for me.

Gotcha. Yeah I would be worried their fix would almost make it worse. Reading on this thread, the issues just seem to come right back.

I had been expecting to sell the Jeep before the warranty expires anyway (given that it's a Chrysler product).

If this existing spot stays small I am not gonna get it repainted. If it continues along I will get it repainted and then sell the car at the 3 year mark.

Real shame as I have really enjoyed the Jeep and it's a beautiful car. Been mechanically sound. But unfortunately peeling paint on a brand new car that's seen snow twice is unacceptable.

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
RETIRED!
I just got the phone call from the dealer this morning. They got the repairs approved and (BONUS HERE) it is going to the body shop that had the highest bid, $6351.81! The low bid was $3971.30.
I was willing to pay the difference between the two shops if necessary. The low bid dude hadn't done any Jeep corrosion repairs before, so I would have been a test case. The high bid shop has done several and they replace the hinges, all the bolts, and they use the same green primer that is used on aircraft aluminum to prevent corrosion.

My appointment isn't until May, and that even made me happier because now I don't have to take my other vehicles out in the salt this winter!

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on what I can see, they didn't even attempt to repair & Blend they just decided to repaint entire panels.
It's been a long time since I've seen a pro shop "repair and blend".
I did my 82 SX2 back in 2013, red BC/CC. Show quality.
A rock hit the front of the hood and not only chipped the paint, but DENTED the front of the hood a ding about the diameter of a pencil eraser and 1/16" deep into the steel.
Nope, we only do whole panels`. So the hood god painted.
Another time had an issue with the roof on one corner. Yup - whole roof and blended on the pillars.
I used to do repaid and blend of spots in the old days but it seems that the best shops around here only do whole panels. It's really tough to blend, especially some paints and metallics.
I had a guy paint a car for me because I wasn't yet set up with a decent shop and he botched a couple of things. I took the car to a pro shop to deal with a couple of runs on the back of the trunk - yeah, repaint trunk lid.
It was metallic - mosport green. They wouldn't even try to blend it.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 1675658657045
Hey…I’m very color blind and I see the difference clearly….geez

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Gotcha. Yeah I would be worried their fix would almost make it worse. Reading on this thread, the issues just seem to come right back.

I had been expecting to sell the Jeep before the warranty expires anyway (given that it's a Chrysler product).

If this existing spot stays small I am not gonna get it repainted. If it continues along I will get it repainted and then sell the car at the 3 year mark.

Real shame as I have really enjoyed the Jeep and it's a beautiful car. Been mechanically sound. But unfortunately peeling paint on a brand new car that's seen snow twice is unacceptable.
Pretty much what I do, trade just before warranty expires.
Sponsored