Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
From what I've read from the others who have had the repair done under warranty, there is no gasket being added. I don't understand why this is the case if it is believed to be the fix.
I'm not saying that a gasket is being added to the ones which are being fixed. My 2023 does have hinge gaskets, but that's from the factory build. Additionally, I don't have any idea what else might have changed regarding the painting, bolts, etc. What this might do however, is to delay problems until the warranty is expired. You need to think like the bean counters.
Sponsored

Dahoef2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Unlimited Black & Tan
From my research, it appears there has been a total of 5 service bulletins going back as early as 2013 on multiple FCA brands utilizing aluminum panels. See the first few service bulletin links below.

FCA has known about this issue and continued to release new products again, and again... Pushing misleading marketing and profiting with no correction of the manufacturing issue until 2023? Inexcusable, and everyone on this forum should be screaming livid about their loss in value and contact an attorney or join in a class action until they are forced to admit how serious this problem is and how they have corrected it. Even if this hinge fix corrects that issue, it still doesn't correct the door panels and hood, or any other aluminum panel which deteriorated on my 2020 JLU Black and Tan by 29K miles. Once pitted, it will return. Many with as many as three fixes have had it reoccur every time.

Think about this folks, they are pushing re-painting (which will devalue) all of your vehicles and will show in a CarFax report as bodywork on all 6 aluminum panels. They profited once from the sale, now they want you to take the hit again on the back end for their laziness.

Excerpt from class action:

F. FCA’s Inadequate Remedy for the Corrosion Defect 86. As evidenced by the repair instructions in the five TSBs issued by FCA, repainting the Class Vehicles, even if done properly, does not cure the Corrosion Defect and does not remedy the diminution of value that occurs from repainting.

***There’s actually a total of 5 service bulletins/corrections (two below)!***

#1 FCA service bulletin pertaining to galvanic corrosion on aluminum panel vehicles as old as 2013:

https://rts.i-car.com/images/pdf/oem-info/chrysler/service-bulletins/36282.pdf
Superseding service bulletin including my model year Jeep:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183098-9999.pdf

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392

poncho@home

First Name
Nektar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL, Mustang GT, Street Triple 675R
I dropped off my 2020 this morning for an oil change and evaluation on the corrosion. 3 out of 4 hinges, the hood hinges and another spot random along the edge of the hood. Jeep is less than 3 years.
Service consultant told me that normally warranty applies to perforations, but I told him that while that me the case, this is 100% unacceptable and warranty should cover it.

I'm also getting an offer from the dealer to buy out my lease. They reached out to me a few weeks ago and while I had no intention of getting rid of it, this corrosion issue has me thinking twice. If the offer is beneficial to me, I might just do it.

Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
My 2020 JLURD is in the shop being "repaired" for the paint bubbles now. When I asked about a gasket the service writer looked at me like I had three heads. Does anyone know if the aftermarket hinges come with gaskets?

poncho@home

First Name
Nektar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL, Mustang GT, Street Triple 675R
OK, so they took pictures and submitted to Chrysler....have to wait and see now. I'm in Canada

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
My 2020 JLURD is in the shop being "repaired" for the paint bubbles now. When I asked about a gasket the service writer looked at me like I had three heads. Does anyone know if the aftermarket hinges come with gaskets?
I doubt that a service writer would have a clue, especially on a 2023. There IS something between the hinge and the door on my 2023, as the .015" gap is present on each hinge door mating. I Happened to be at the dealer today and checked the 2022 392 on their lot, and found zero gap, it definitely does not have any gasket.

drichard989

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08KK, 21JLU
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I doubt that a service writer would have a clue, especially on a 2023. There IS something between the hinge and the door on my 2023, as the .015" gap is present on each hinge door mating. I Happened to be at the dealer today and checked the 2022 392 on their lot, and found zero gap, it definitely does not have any gasket.
Would you mind taking a photo? My late 21 looks like there is more of a gap than some of the 18s ive seen, but i dont think there is an actual gasket

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Would you mind taking a photo? My late 21 looks like there is more of a gap than some of the 18s ive seen, but i dont think there is an actual gasket
It's pouring rain here, but if you look back a bit on the thread, I did post a picture of it. All you need do to check is to take some feeler gage stock. I used 3, .005". Those are flexible enough so won't mar the paint.

Sponsored

libis22

First Name
Libin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Daytona 675R, Willys sport XR
Occupation
Electronics engineer building software

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
What's the other dealer's name? I'm from Dayton originally, and I can't remember people being big fans of Dave Dennis.
Dave Dennis worst Jeep Dealership U.S.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Can someone speculate as to how putting a gasket between the hinge and the door would reduce the corrosion problem?

RoadRouge

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Can someone speculate as to how putting a gasket between the hinge and the door would reduce the corrosion problem?
Galvanic corrosion? Gasket acts as an insulator between the two dissimilar metals preventing the corrosion process. You did say speculate!
Sponsored