Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

BMB

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
If you are looking for warranty, then yes.
Thanks for the response Old Dogger. Any tips or recommendations on communicating with my dealership about this issue specifically? First time I’ve ever had a vehicle with any kind of warranty.
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Thanks for the response Old Dogger. Any tips or recommendations on communicating with my dealership about this issue specifically? First time I’ve ever had a vehicle with any kind of warranty.
Just make sure that you have a copy with you of the written warranty. I believe the corrosion warranty is 5 years. Then make a appointment with them to take it in for the inspection. Normally they will take pictures and then have to get it approved from the Factory. Once approved, then you will schedule a appointment with their Body Shop. Good Luck....

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
Just to help everyone with a timeline on whether to wait or not...here's the class action schedule. Feel free to move it, admin, if there's a better place:

SCHEDULING ORDER signed by Magistrate Judge Stanley A. Boone on 3/29/2022.
Discovery Deadlines: Initial Disclosures : April 15, 2022.
Non-Expert Discovery: January 31, 2023
Expert Disclosure : February 6, 2023.
Supplemental Expert Disclosure : February 27, 2023.
Expert Discovery : March 17, 2023.
Dispositive Motion Deadlines : Filing: May 18, 2023, Hearing: Pursuant to Local Rules.
Pretrial Conference set for 10/30/2023 at 01:30 PM in Courtroom 5 (DAD) before District Judge Dale A. Drozd.
Jury Trial set for 1/9/2024 at 08:30 AM in Courtroom 5 (DAD) before District Judge Dale A. Drozd. (Gonzales, V)

Of course these are never delayed. Taking mine in for bubble inspection in 2 weeks.

Reactions: BMB

BMB

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Just to help everyone with a timeline on whether to wait or not...here's the class action schedule. Feel free to move it, admin, if there's a better place:

SCHEDULING ORDER signed by Magistrate Judge Stanley A. Boone on 3/29/2022.
Discovery Deadlines: Initial Disclosures : April 15, 2022.
Non-Expert Discovery: January 31, 2023
Expert Disclosure : February 6, 2023.
Supplemental Expert Disclosure : February 27, 2023.
Expert Discovery : March 17, 2023.
Dispositive Motion Deadlines : Filing: May 18, 2023, Hearing: Pursuant to Local Rules.
Pretrial Conference set for 10/30/2023 at 01:30 PM in Courtroom 5 (DAD) before District Judge Dale A. Drozd.
Jury Trial set for 1/9/2024 at 08:30 AM in Courtroom 5 (DAD) before District Judge Dale A. Drozd. (Gonzales, V)

Of course these are never delayed. Taking mine in for bubble inspection in 2 weeks.
Are you involved in this lawsuit? I was reading some about it last night. I hope it gets some traction.

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Some thoughts on the class action suit.

It seems Jeep is now repairing all damage. In my case I received new hinges, bolts, and had the doors repainted. In this case, I would think the warranty is doing what a warranty should do.

My concerns are what happens next. Has this diminished the value of my Jeep? It is not reported on Car Fax but potential buyers can easily Google what to be on the lookout for. It may steer buyers away. However, this wouldn’t be the first used car to have issue that steer people away.

Will the increase the warranty time limit on repaired and unrepaired jeeps? I have 1.5 years until the 5 year warranty ends. How sure can I be that the repair will hold up?

I recently received $1k check for a class action against BMW for a water pump issue. I recall the day mine died in 2014 and that it cost me $1200 to fix. 8 years later, after much back and forth with paper work, I received a check.

Sponsored

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
Are you involved in this lawsuit?
Good God, no. Just wondering where this was in the process so I checked a few websites. Reported my findings. My experience says to not wait for a $.27 payout. Get it fixed under warranty asap.

4x4jackson

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 1999 TJ Sport
I have tried two different local Jeep dealerships. The first one told me that the warranty doesn't kick in until it's completely rusted through (completely not true) and the second one told me that he knew about the problem that I was talking about but said they only do manufacturer warranty repairs for their customers that bought the vehicle directly from them . I have a case opened up with @JeepCares , will follow up with them after getting these 2 responses to see what to do next. This is ridiculous. I have 12 spots altogether on the hinges and doors around the entire Jeep. I bought it as a used CPO Jeep 6 months ago and unfortunately didn't notice the spots until I had it for a couple months. It currently has 55k miles on it. My 99 TJ has less spots on the body than this thing....

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I have tried two different local Jeep dealerships. The first one told me that the warranty doesn't kick in until it's completely rusted through (completely not true)
If you read your corrosion warranty, that doesn't kick in until it's caused a hole in the metal panel.

Section 2.2 (B) reads (emboldening mine):

The Corrosion Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair or replace any sheet metal panels that get holes from rust or other corrosion. If a hole occurs because of something other than corrosion, this warranty does not apply. Cosmetic or surface corrosion, resulting, for example, from stone chips or scratches in the paint, is not covered. For more details on what is not covered by this warranty, refer to “section 3.5”.

2022 Jeep Warranty - Gas Vehicles
Now, should it be covered under the regular 3/36 factory warranty? IMHO, yes.

If you're outside of that warranty, that's where goodwill repairs on the part of Jeep kick in.

BMB

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If you read your corrosion warranty, that doesn't kick in until it's caused a hole in the metal panel.

Section 2.2 (B) reads (emboldening mine):

Now, should it be covered under the regular 3/36 factory warranty? IMHO, yes.

If you're outside of that warranty, that's where goodwill repairs on the part of Jeep kick in.
Interesting. I interpreted this differently. 1)Holes created by rust. Or 2) other corrosion.
Has anyone had this covered beyond of your 3/36 warranty?

4x4jackson

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 1999 TJ Sport
This known issue is referred to in Collision Bulletin 31-001-19. I finally got through to another dealer today and as soon as I started explaining to the manager what my issue was, she cut me off and said she knew exactly what I was talking about and they have repaired "a bunch" of Jeeps 2018 and newer at their body shop already. She was more than willing to schedule me an appointment to come in and get the process started of taking pictures of all the faulty area's and submit the necessary paperwork to Chrysler for repair. I knew it was something they would cover, it was just getting to the right dealer that actually was willing to handle the process. JeepCares wasn't much help other than telling me they could let me know who the local dealers are, but I already have all that info. It always makes me laugh how everything is always possible and anything can be done when you're looking to buy a car. Then after you buy it it's always "well, sorry, that's not actually covered", or "unfortunately we can't help you with that", and the list goes on..... This one was even a CPO vehicle and I had to fight to get several repairs completed under the initial bumper to bumper coverage. Unfortunately it's just not Jeep, they're ALL that way.

Sponsored

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
On my second attempt to pick up my Jeep’s from dealer:
- they missed a couple spots. I find it difficult to see these on white.
- found a small one forming on base of windshield frame in center.
- tailgate was misaligned. As I drove it, it got worse.
- tailgate keyless entry does not work and I cannot log the tailgate with key or from inside. I didn’t notice this until home.

Another trip back to at least get the tailgate and lock working. Then I will wait for the window frame repair to be approved.

Really loved this Jeep and now considering if it is worth the anxiety of waiting for more spots to appear each year. Was going to keep it 12-15 years. Now I am considering selling

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
- tailgate keyless entry does not work and I cannot log the tailgate with key or from inside. I didn’t notice this until home.

Another trip back to at least get the tailgate and lock working. Then I will wait for the window frame repair to be approved.

Really loved this Jeep and now considering if it is worth the anxiety of waiting for more spots to appear each year. Was going to keep it 12-15 years. Now I am considering selling
This is typical of dealerships and/or body shops. I have yet to experience one which actually checks everything on your hit list, addresses them effectively and completes satisfactorily the first or even the second or third time. I traded in one of my favorite vehicles for the very same reasons.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro

How old is yours?

Sadly, I will be in the same boat when mine gets the Jeep Rash. I am a long term buyer. But this Jeep is really growing on me.

So that leaves me but one option, leasing, ugh.

So I hope I fall out of love with this Jeep before it all goes to hell.

krupa33

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sahara
Think I either have awful luck or im dealing with the worst employees through FCA...

I just got mine 2 weeks ago. Used 2019 Sahara Certified Pre-owned, 100k mile warranty, etc. etc. Didnt notice the paint bubbling at the hinges and bottom of the doors until I got home. Went back to the Jeep dealer and had someone take pics of it and they said theyd send it into FCA. This was on June 30th. Didnt hear anything from them for a week, I called the service advisor, during business hours, she never picked up. Went to voicemail, so i left her a voicemail. She never calls me back. So i called yesterday, and they had to of been screening my calls because there is no way possible that not even 1 of the 7 people I called within 10 minutes didnt pick up their phone. So i called the GM and he said he would let me know ASAP about what FCA says on Monday. He said he has never ever heard of this issue.

If they dont replace the doors or do a full respray, Im selling it right back to them. Everyone here has the same exact fears as I do: "What will it look like 5 years down the road? 10 years? 15 years?"

Im not paying this ludicrous amount of $ for a vehicle that literally rots from the inside. This issue needs to be much much much larger and needs the full attention of the FCA.

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Feb 2019
Debating what to do. I wanted to keep this and order a Tesla. But now may sell this and use towards the Tesla
I am sure I have another trip or two back and forth to dealer to fix the final pieces. I have a trip to Boston for a couple days and won’t bring it.
Sponsored