Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
I wonder if removing the hinges, spraying with iron remover, cleaning the holes out and reinstalling the fasteners would work? However, this doesn’t solve the issue of the aluminum door, aluminum hinge and steel bolts….
Remove the hinges, coat the mating surfaces with something such as 3M undercoating etc or make a clear gasket from a PE milk jug. Then clean and coat the bolts with something which will insulate or possibly some spray galvanizing. The only potential contact beyond that might be whatever the bolts screw into. If it's a nut use an insulating washer. If not a nut you'll need to figure something out.
Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Remove the hinges, coat the mating surfaces with something such as 3M undercoating etc or make a clear gasket from a PE milk jug. Then clean and coat the bolts with something which will insulate or possibly some spray galvanizing. The only potential contact beyond that might be whatever the bolts screw into. If it's a nut use an insulating washer. If not a nut you'll need to figure something out.
I go back to this post. If this is a steel nut not galvanized and not isolated from directly touching the aluminum door panel - you will likely get galvanic corrosion no matter what you do.

My speculations are that what looks to be rust on the nut - points to that it is manufactured from steel and not aluminum. If so therein lies the root problem. Easy to confirm with a magnet. This plus many steel bolt pins all conspire to a lot of points of contact where corrosion can progress. Add steel dust particles landing on pre-painted bare aluminum panels - and you get corrosion on the aluminum hood edge and bottom of the aluminum doors. The steel dust settles and accumulates at the bottom due to gravity. But sometimes may land and stick anywhere.

You are on the right track though. Leaving as is - ensures full corrosion progression unhindered. Most all JLs will probably suffer this unfortunate fate depending on prevailing geographical locations and atmospheric conditions. Wet and salt - faster. Dry and dusty - slower.

Speculations - but very plausible. Given how many JLs and other FCA vehicle models are affected according to the repair TSB. Please do not shoot the messenger.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nt-at-door-hinges.32756/page-139#post-1974694

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 9DA03330-37CB-456D-B110-8B735C3A9AA3

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges FA4125FB-2BC0-46C3-981D-AB6F667FFD1F

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges C833AD53-259B-4A07-A394-5DDA3989F074

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
I go back to this post. If this is a steel nut not galvanized and not isolated from directly touching the aluminum door panel - you will likely get galvanic corrosion no matter what you do.

My speculations are that what looks to be rust on the nut - points to that it is manufactured from steel and not aluminum. If so therein lies the root problem. Easy to confirm with a magnet. This plus many steel bolt pins all conspire to a lot of points of contact where corrosion can progress. Add steel dust particles landing on pre-painted bare aluminum panels - and you get corrosion on the aluminum hood edge and bottom of the aluminum doors. The steel dust settles and accumulates at the bottom due to gravity. But sometimes may land and stick anywhere.

You are on the right track though. Leaving as is - ensures full corrosion progression unhindered. Most all JLs will probably suffer this unfortunate fate depending on prevailing geographical locations and atmospheric conditions. Wet and salt - faster. Dry and dusty - slower.

Speculations - but very plausible. Given how many JLs and other FCA vehicle models are affected according to the repair TSB. Please do not shoot the messenger.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nt-at-door-hinges.32756/page-139#post-1974694

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges C833AD53-259B-4A07-A394-5DDA3989F074

Nice job! And the bare metal factory job of all things is inexcusable. The bolts are not aluminum, I had verified that on mine. You can purchase spray zinc coating ie galvanizing paint. I used some on my galvanized boat trailer after welding up a split seam. The nut appears to be fastened to the inside of the panel. Steel?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I just returned from the dealership I purchased from (about an hour away). My local dealership doesn't have a body shop. Along with a oil change/rotate tires and issues with the start stop, I also have an area on my hood hinge that is starting to rust a little bit, and the other hood hinge and under the top tailgate hinge have paint missing with clear coat on top. I see a nice line of primer.
The advisor was pretty cool and is going to go take photos and submit them. He told me they started using the gaskets this year, and they would have to repaint the whole hood. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

One thing I did suggest to them. Instead of going through all the hassle of repainting the whole tailgate for the missing paint below the hinge, they could just put the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit on there and cover it up perfectly. He said it wasn't a bad idea. Would probably be cheaper and easier. I'll see how that goes, not expecting it to be the solution, but thought it would be a good compromise.
I took mine to the dealership in Humble Tx, where you live. Even though I bought the Jeep in Baytown. They sent it to Service King for the repair work, and did a great job. Zero issues since it was done in September of 2021.

Sponsored

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I took mine to the dealership in Humble Tx, where you live. Even though I bought the Jeep in Baytown. They sent it to Service King for the repair work, and did a great job. Zero issues since it was done in September of 2021.

Interesting. When I took mine to them (in Humble) in December they said that they didn't have a body shop and that I should try to find a Jeep dealership that did. Currently, the other dealership has sent the photos of my paint/corrosion issues to FCA, just awaiting to hear back.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. When I took mine to them (in Humble) in December they said that they didn't have a body shop and that I should try to find a Jeep dealership that did. Currently, the other dealership has sent the photos of my paint/corrosion issues to FCA, just awaiting to hear back.
They said the same thing at first, but when asked about how they fixed cars, that were wrecked, they said they send them out. I asked they treat me the same, since it is a.warranty issue, and I shouldn't have to drive.all over, looking for a dealership that does bodywork. There was a female service advisor giving me a hard time about everything, and pissing me off. I told her I wouldn't deal with her anymore, and to get a manager. They switched service advisors, and things went smooth as glass, after that. Since then, I only deal with Dalton(first name) and he will do what it takes to help customers. BTW, several people, and manager apologized for the female service advisors attitude. She has a history of this.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Correction. Feb. Of 2021. Well over a year ago.

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Correction. Feb. Of 2021. Well over a year ago.
Thanks for the heads-up. I dealt with Dalton on my first visit. Nice guy, but also the one who suggested I find another dealership for body work. I'll press further in the future. I'd rather not drive an hour for service if possible. BTW. I had that same Service King (probably the one across the freeway from them) do some work on an Accord a long time ago and they did a great job.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
This has to be only on some. I know that some of the JK’s also have this issue, which has been reported in another Forum. But it is a non-issue on our two, JKR, JLR. No bubbling, and the paint looks like new. Maybe me being in Arizona, plays a part in it..not sure.

Sponsored

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
This has to be only on some. I know that some of the JK’s also have this issue, which has been reported in another Forum. But it is a non-issue on our two, JKR, JLR. No bubbling, and the paint looks like new. Maybe me being in Arizona, plays a part in it..not sure.
Huh? Nearly 150 pages along with a few other multi page threads related directly to bubbling around door hinges. Every story here is the same, dealers trying to avoid the situation because they know it is larger than they'd ever admit. The "only on some" hopefully was directed at individuals like yourself that aren't going through crap paint jobs.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Huh? Nearly 150 pages along with a few other multi page threads related directly to bubbling around door hinges. Every story here is the same, dealers trying to avoid the situation because they know it is larger than they'd ever admit. The "only on some" hopefully was directed at individuals like yourself that aren't going through crap paint jobs.
Yep, that is what I mentioned. As I said, I don’t know why mine don’t have the issue. But I am glad that I don’t. But I guess, that it could still happen in time.

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
I'm looking at possibly shopping the used market for a JLUR instead of going new just for the color selections available. Is this paint issue still a problem with the 22s or was it limited to just a few specific models years?

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
I'm looking at possibly shopping the used market for a JLUR instead of going new just for the color selections available. Is this paint issue still a problem with the 22s or was it limited to just a few specific models years?
I do not see how it could NOT be an issue. After looking at new Wranglers a couple of weeks ago, one can clearly see the bar metal behind the hinges where the paint did not flow. Admittedly, I did not bring a magnet to test the metals.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if anyone knows this for sure. My Jeep is about to turn 4 years old at the end of the month, and I never saw any bubbling of paint until this spring. So maybe in a few years the newer JLs will experience this too?

I have to believe there a lot of factors at play here, too, such as geography and weather conditions. Does it take longer for bubbling paint to appear if the Jeep is garaged and never sees rain or winter? 🤷‍♂️ My Jeep did spend a lot of time parked outside in the past year, and it was more than the previous years.
Sponsored