Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
There is no saying the gasket on the door hinge is nothing more than a stop gap to slow the issue to push it past warranty period. Also, as I stated prior, there is no gasket on the hood hinges.
Not trying to come off negative, just honest.
Any negative here is on the company, not us discussing their build issues, but thanks for the thought bro :like:. As I mentioned in earlier posts, simply a gasket will not fix this problem. We have the through bolts which would require a sleeve in order to totally insulate, or perhaps a PE type of material molded with the sleeves all in one piece.
Sponsored

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Back from the body shop at the dealer. They took pics of 5 different areas they’ll need to submit to Chrysler. I’m way within coverage so that’s not the issue. What has me worried as they will NOT strip the entire door and hood to bare metal, just the affected area. They apply some form of coating which is supposed to suppress any further issue ( hmmm ). I should hear back in a few days for scheduled fix in September. The other option is turn it in as it’s in mint condition with low miles.

Last edited:

Ifraaz

First Name
Ifraaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20220620_212544
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20220620_212549

Great. Now my windshield frame has a bubble. Dealer took pics and will send in for FCA approval. Dealer didn't think the frame would be covered as its not mentioned in the warranty tsb literature and he didn't think it was aluminum.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
What has me worried as they will NOT strip the entire door and hood to bare metal, just the affected area. They apply some form of coating which is supposed to suppress any further issue ( hmmm ). I should hear back in a few days for scheduled fix in September. The other option is turn it in as it’s in mint condition with low miles.
They only took back the paint around 8” from each hinge. Then applied an epoxy coating. After 2 goes - 2 hood hinges + 4 door hinges - just noticed bubbling at the bottom of one of the doors.

Gaskets on the supposedly aluminum door hinges will not do much to slow corrosion anywhere else. The torx screw holding it to the door frame is steel. Plus the inset nut in the door panel looks to be steel. FCA mixing aluminum and steel nuts and screws is just idiotic.

We have a ULDB from 1982 with an aluminum mast and boom. Has stainless steel fittings with no corrosion anywhere. Exposed to the elements 24/7.

Thing is - how much corrosion is to be expected in 5 or 10 years. Hmmm? Likely a lot. So when to unload is the next question. We have a 1985 Collector Vintage Benz. No corrosion no rust. Exposed to the elements 24/7. FCA paint and prep is 100% pure crap.

Sponsored

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
I was thinking the same thing, how long before these JLs begin looking like a three year old 70s vehicle run in salt. Going back into the 70s everything seemed to rust quickly and much of the steel was reclaimed, particularly on Fords. But my CJ7s rust was limited to the floors and the windshield frame. The frame was easy to replace, the floor, well, I cut and welded.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
They only took back the paint around 8” from each hinge. Then applied an epoxy coating. After 2 goes - 2 hood hinges + 4 door hinges - just noticed bubbling at the bottom of one of the doors.

Gaskets on the supposedly aluminum door hinges will not do much to slow corrosion anywhere else. The torx screw holding it to the door frame is steel. Plus the inset nut in the door panel looks to be steel. FCA mixing aluminum and steel nuts and screws is just idiotic.

We have a ULDB from 1982 with an aluminum mast and boom. Has stainless steel fittings with no corrosion anywhere. Exposed to the elements 24/7.

Thing is - how much corrosion is to be expected in 5 or 10 years. Hmmm? Likely a lot. So when to unload is the next question. We have a 1985 Collector Vintage Benz. No corrosion no rust. Exposed to the elements 24/7. FCA paint and prep is 100% pure crap.
Begs the question… has this problem been fixed in ‘22/23 models???

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Begs the question… has this problem been fixed in ‘22/23 models???
If all FCA has decided to do is add a few gaskets - then no. Apparently it would be too costly to change the line to bring in proper clean room protocols and proper metal prep.

If FCA did not sell so many more expensive and profitable JLs - why mess with the recipe. These repairs are just a drop in the bucket comparatively. Cost of doing business. Most new buyers have no clue.

Now if sales were slumping and market share plummeted. Maybe they would do a proper fix if the primary shareholders told them to.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
If all FCA has decided to do is add a few gaskets - then no. Apparently it would be too costly to change the line to bring in proper clean room protocols and proper metal prep.

If FCA did not sell so many more expensive and profitable JLs - why mess with the recipe. These repairs are just a drop in the bucket comparatively. Cost of doing business. Most new buyers have no clue.

Now if sales were slumping and market share plummeted. Maybe they would do a proper fix if the primary shareholders told them to.
Or there was a class action lawsuit brought to the table. A few thousand jeep owners and legal costs, bad press may just do the trick. Ford for example had issues with their F150 hoods peeling. The body shop I’m working with said rather than patch the issue, Ford is simply replacing the entire hood.

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Or there was a class action lawsuit brought to the table. A few thousand jeep owners and legal costs, bad press may just do the trick. Ford for example had issues with their F150 hoods peeling. The body shop I’m working with said rather than patch the issue, Ford is simply replacing the entire hood.
Agree. Jeep isn't going to do anything unless a class action is put in place. This really needs to happen to protect owners from the inevitable denial when the warranty expires.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those unaware there is one. FCA paint and aluminum sucks. They are taking in way too much money on new sales with crazy profit margins to bother. Pretty sure the beancounters have done the math.

https://www.classaction.org/news/cl...-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-aluminum-body-panels

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Had mine fixed a year ago and now I have corrosion and bubbles on all the hinges that weren't corroded at the time. Brought back to dealer and they took pics but haven't heard anything yet. I'm at 48k miles now and worried they're going to deny me which is BS because it's obviously an issue on their end.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
I just checked my 2019. The hinges are aluminum but the corroded pins are steel, as are the hinge bolts.

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

I got all new doors and tailgate.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got all new doors and tailgate.
You are the exception. Was the corrosion extensive or very minor? Mine was very minor. Tiny in some spots. But definitely starting at the door bottom took until now to appear. A new door would have slowed that starting from fresh. Have expected the epoxy to help - but only can help where it is applied.

If any time were good - now would be the time for you to unload. If FCA approves to pay again to get mine done - will probably think about selling with no bubbles visible. Unfortunately this corrosion looks unstoppable. Is just a matter of time for it to surface.

Never had this experience in any vehicle owned over 45 years. Will be my first and last FCA product. Love the beast to get me to ski resorts no matter what. But this is BS. If not covered - will just prep and repaint myself and drive it into the ground. Gloss black is easy to match.
Sponsored