Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 1999; Jeep Sahara Wrangler 2018 HD 2006 Deluxe
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Ok my Jeep dealer has taken custody of my 2018 to fis all 4 hinges with the understanding of the technical aspects mentioned by many of YOU regarding the steps that shouldve been taken in the first place to prevent corrosion! I will for sure update you to see exactly what they did and how it turned out! I Pray they fix their problem!

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Ok my Jeep dealer has taken custody of my 2018 to fis all 4 hinges with the understanding of the technical aspects mentioned by many of YOU regarding the steps that shouldve been taken in the first place to prevent corrosion! I will for sure update you to see exactly what they did and how it turned out! I Pray they fix their problem!
Did they explain what their plan was? I’ve been following this thread but may have missed it - are dealers that decide to fix this painting under the hinges or just cleaning things up and painting it how it came from the factory with a little more precision?

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Did they explain what their plan was? I’ve been following this thread but may have missed it - are dealers that decide to fix this painting under the hinges or just cleaning things up and painting it how it came from the factory with a little more precision?
My experience is YOU have to ask them to fix it the "right" way. The TSB doesn't address painting the bare aluminum under the hinges (at least the one I saw) and I don't think there is any intention of correcting the problem, only addressing the symptom. The TSB is also generic and covers paint bubbles that are NOT at hinges, but at fully painted areas on the body panels. Mine had one those spots too. Jeep needs to do something specific to the wrangler hinge issues - the fact is the way they manufacture them every JL/JT will experience some degree of bubbling/corrosion at this location. If you need to see what I mean look at post #1465 in this thread. The bare aluminum under the hinge corrodes and spreads, eventually breaking the paint/aluminum interface at the edge, then bubbling starts.

Last edited:

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck with your repairs. Make sure you keep us posted on how it turns out and whether or not they paint under the hinges. Still haven't got mine back from its re-spray to correct the mismatched paint from the original repair. It's been at the dealer 4 weeks now.

Sponsored

Ifraaz

First Name
Ifraaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Got word back from my dealer right now. They are replacing 9 out of 12 hinges. All doors and hood and tailgate. 8 hinges and all doors and hood and tailgate are in. They will begin the work soon. Will prep underneath the hinges properly as per tsb and more before painting. Tailgate will get worked on as the 9th hinge comes in.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I see alot of bubbling on my door hinges and around it right now. Should I expect this to happen on my hood and tailgate hinges as well?
Although we cannot speculate on any future concerns, huyfishin; if you decide to have the door hinges repaired, feel free to let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Thats just it! I wish when Jeep Cares started looking i to my case prior to my dealer finally listening- I wish Jeep Cares would Also tell them what needs to be done!

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Although we cannot speculate on any future concerns, huyfishin; if you decide to have the door hinges repaired, feel free to let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Kate! Snoopi here Jeep cares was helping me with my jeep here at Cornerstone Wlk River Mn! They never SAID what was going to be done- Is there a way YOU in YOURbposition can tell them what everyone here is saying on what needs to be done to my hinges?

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Thats just it! I wish when Jeep Cares started looking i to my case prior to my dealer finally listening- I wish Jeep Cares would Also tell them what needs to be done!
Ok just talked to my husband said the Autobody guy said- sand the hinges and doors: put a protective sealant on the aluminum (hinges- doors -bolts) then once sealed he is going to paint it…

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Kate! Snoopi here Jeep cares was helping me with my jeep here at Cornerstone Wlk River Mn! They never SAID what was going to be done- Is there a way YOU in YOURbposition can tell them what everyone here is saying on what needs to be done to my hinges?
Hi, Snoopi. So I am understanding here, what information are you looking for? If you are seeking information on the actual repair process, I do not have that information available to me, only a certified technician would. We recommend speaking with your dealer.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Hi, Snoopi. So I am understanding here, what information are you looking for? If you are seeking information on the actual repair process, I do not have that information available to me, only a certified technician would. We recommend speaking with your dealer.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Hello Kate- I was chatting back and forth with a Jeepcares rep earlier last week who looked up my vin to tell me my case had not been assigned after numerous phone calls to my dealer after having been sent to the AB shop. This Jeepcares person advised privately on my case. I thought possibly if you were following this feed- that you may have read the earlier reply by another who stated indeed we as the wrangler owners with corrosion - need to specifically tell the AB shop what they need to do to fix Jeeps corrosion problem- thus why not have the Jeepcares rep advise the Jeep dealership-AB on the fix to their problem … but I guess you dont assist in that way.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Anyone in the NYC area found a dealer willing to fix this issue?
see photos attached

CEDABB3C-F6E3-4FB4-AC7E-D2B59A5A89BE.jpeg

84788F1E-DDA6-4CE8-85A7-4E8DEE28E563.jpeg

Altahami

First Name
Yunis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi
I took mine to the dealership where I made the purchase - it has been a month and I am not confident they got their act together.

For those in the Detroit area - any recommendations on dealerships or shops assuming corrosion warranty covers?

Thank you in advance!

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
thus why not have the Jeepcares rep advise the Jeep dealership-AB on the fix to their problem … but I guess you dont assist in that way.
The dealers already have access to a Technical Service Bulletin that outlines the steps that Jeep suggests to correct the problem. See post #946 in this thread. (Page #64 maybe.) But, I'm guessing that more than one person here will say that Jeep's repair procedure isn't a proper one.
Sponsored