Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 1999; Jeep Sahara Wrangler 2018 HD 2006 Deluxe
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
For anyone interested good article below. Since the issues with the JL likely stem from the 1.) joint where the door gets light paint where the hinge blends to it and underneath the hinge/door panel surfaces (unpainted) and 2.) the potential for a galvanic interaction between the steel bolt and cage nut and the aluminum door/hinge, or worst case 3.) both, I don't see a good way out of the issue. As mentioned earlier in this thread, large build up (normal paint layer may not seem large, but it can still compress over time) of paint on both the door where the hinge mounts and on the back-side of the hinge can/may contribute to loss of the joint integrity and loosening of the bolts. My opinion is better painted well than not painted, understanding all the reasons why its not done from the factory (cost, damage once painted, past assy line sequence of operations).This also has to be done with correct prep. no starting oxide layer just before primer paint, minimal/no moisture in paint equipment, like the article states. Once the aluminum surfaces are properly addressed/painted then you have to be sure the bolt and the cage nut in the door have the right coatings on them. I imagine our factory parts have some level of coating on them, but it may not be robust enough for higher moisture/colder weather climates or it may rub/wear off just enough in the assy process of the doors. Keeping in mind that some moisture greatly accelerates any effect on either minimally painted/unpainted aluminum to corrode, its understandable why in colder climates with rain/snow/salt, we see vehicles have this occur more quickly (mine after 5-6k miles evident first on the tailgate hinges where exhaust gases into moisture may make the corrosive effects worse) whereas in the SW/West, perhaps not yet, but eventually all should see some level of this effect. Even some humidity, car washes, etc. would bring it out over enough time. Its even mentioned above that corrosion protection spray into the cage nuts also shows up on the windows, so rain/wash water on the windows will make it down to the back side of those cage nuts. I'm in for the fix at 19k miles for all hinges (the rear door lower then upper were the first door hinges after my tailgate to show the issue). Hood just starting. I'm pretty good about cleaning and even lubing the door studs and nuts. We'll see how long it lasts.
https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/...orrosion-what-it-is-and-what-you-need-to-know
Ok so safety issues as well !!!! Wth! Jeep recall is a must!
Sponsored

Snoopi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Wrangler 1999; Jeep Sahara Wrangler 2018 HD 2006 Deluxe
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
For sure I had my hubby bust chops since they wouldnt take me serious! Hes a mopar freak and he asked 1.5 mill ?s ā€¦
Ok the guy said they're going to sand it down;( my 4 dr hinges are bubbling) put a bonding protective sealant on it which he said obviously wasnt on there in the first place; then paint it.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Excellent point. Thanks!
PLUS, you'll have proof that it's a known issue with YOUR jeep and has been worked before.

then you don't have to deal with them trying to deny your claim right at the end of the 5 years.

dtown1974

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I would do the exact opposite. Get it fixed asap to prevent more corrosion and see if it happens again before the warranty is up. You don't want to give them an excuse to deny your claim. If it gets far worse, that's just negligence. You're letting the corrosion spread further.
Exactly. With mine at 19,000 there's time to understand the results and address it again if it continues and avoids the potential for changing OEM/dealership conditions on coverage. Also, for your timing, keep in mind the scale of the issue, the time and capacity needed at these body shops and the time they will have your Jeep for repair. It took me 2-3 months to get it in the shop from the first complaint/documentation of the issue and they've had it for 5 weeks so far. I can be patient if the resulting job is done to my satisfaction. And we'll see where it goes from there.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Took mine in today. Service manager helped me understand the problem and my options.
It was metal on metal and the original thought was the paint would be enough to prevent oxidation. Obviously it didnā€™t. I could have left it and pick it in 5-6 business days.
The warranty covers the body for 5 years. I asked if the warranty resets for the repaired hinges. He said no.

So I decided to wait until I get closer to April 2023 (5 years) in case more hinges break out and they get any bugs out of the fix. If the bubbles really start to bother me Iā€™ll get back in line sooner. (I had to go through 3 steering stabilizers before that problem was solved)
He did not have to reach out to Jeep for any approval.

copying @JeepCares to document this issue.
Thanks for the tag, Sting-Gray AJ. We can certainly document and discuss your concerns. Please follow up with us in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I noticed while waxing my 4xe in the garage under LED lighting last night just how poorly painted my door and tailgate hinges are. It was hard to get a decent picture of it, but Iā€™ll definitely be talking to me dealer about it when I take it in for the first oil change. This may have already been answered, but do the MOPAR max care extended warranties extend the corrosion coverage also?

Altahami

First Name
Yunis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi
I noticed while waxing my 4xe in the garage under LED lighting last night just how poorly painted my door and tailgate hinges are. It was hard to get a decent picture of it, but Iā€™ll definitely be talking to me dealer about it when I take it in for the first oil change. This may have already been answered, but do the MOPAR max care extended warranties extend the corrosion coverage also?
I was told no.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Had to replace my tailgate before they had a chance to fix (donā€™t ask). This is how bad it was. You can see upper hinge just starting. I am convinced all JLs will all do this at some point It starts at bare aluminum to paint interface.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 0FB6BBC1-D6C9-4969-AEEF-894F69D8338F

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 126CA9DE-A29F-4E85-873A-9441BA9EED54

This is what it gets replaced with. - done the RIGHT way! No factory shortcut of hanging PRIOR to paint.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges CB906140-514D-4118-A047-C3AA6239523D

goes to dealer for all door hinges Wednesday.

Sponsored

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
Hi Bryan,

Would you be able to take a picture from inside the old tailgate, I would like to see how the nuts are held in place and if it shows corrosion signs from the inside.

Thanks,
Daniel

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Bryan,

Would you be able to take a picture from inside the old tailgate, I would like to see how the nuts are held in place and if it shows corrosion signs from the inside.

Thanks,
Daniel
Nut plate is held to back of gate but allowed to ā€œfloat for alignment .

8AC2804E-50DC-45B4-A414-6D0E2639CC50.jpeg

782FA6F0-0EB6-4A77-8653-6BA315E490AD.jpeg

7FC5BF9A-C61F-4B58-B3F1-7833D57D8475.jpeg

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Had to replace my tailgate before they had a chance to fix (donā€™t ask). This is how bad it was. You can see upper hinge just starting. I am convinced all JLs will all do this at some point It starts at bare aluminum to paint interface.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges B3ACA675-07A2-474F-92CC-F6A101E56D23

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges B3ACA675-07A2-474F-92CC-F6A101E56D23

This is what it gets replaced with. - done the RIGHT way! No factory shortcut of hanging PRIOR to paint.

goes to dealer for all door hinges Wednesday.
Damn. Considering I can see bare metal around my hinges, I donā€™t like my odds
Sponsored