First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Would aluminum hinges be any help to prevent that? Unless I missunderstood, it's the reaction from steel/aluminum contact that create corrosion?

Something like ( https://genright.com/products/black-anodized-aluminum-door-hinges-for-jeep-wrangler-jl.html )
Yeah but I think there’s also an issue with the bolts. Those are steel and bolt into aluminum. I have mine coated with fluid film hoping it’ll prevent any issues. I looked into those genright hinges and almost got them but they’re so expensive for what they are
Sponsored

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
I think the JL hinges are already aluminum but the bolts are steel.

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
Why can’t we just replace the bolts wuth aluminum ones?
Aluminum bolts wouldn't be nearly as strong as steel. Also they are threading into steel inside the door, so the aluminum bolts would be the first to corrode, which can never be a good thing.

Sponsored

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Still have not heard anything from the dealer on the paint warranty claim. Stopped in this morning to get my passenger lower ball joint replaced and asked what the status is of the paint fix. Service advisor told me they are looking at 6 months for a repair now. So much for 8 weeks that I was told just a few weeks ago.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Still have not heard anything from the dealer on the paint warranty claim. Stopped in this morning to get my passenger lower ball joint replaced and asked what the status is of the paint fix. Service advisor told me they are looking at 6 months for a repair now. So much for 8 weeks that I was told just a few weeks ago.
Mine is sitting at dealer right now for this issue. Started the claim last year at this time and the body shop was too busy. Waited until this year, was going to let it go but more bubbling on bottom edges of door away from hinges now. They said the body shop is BUSY, we'll see what they say for timing when they actually get it in the queue. They at least gave me a loaner, even thought it is a crappy COMPASS. Really should get equivalent vehicle, but some dealers don't even give loaners I guess. Anyhow, good luck. It is really unbelievable we all have to deal with this for the $ paid for these new Jeeps.

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Washed the jeep over the weekend and noticed small bubbles in the paint at one of the rear door hinges. I am over a year and have roughly 27k miles.They are hard underneath and the paint is not loose and pretty sure they were not there last time i washed the vehicle. It cant be rust under the paint since the doors are aluminum. All other hinges are fine. Has anyone seen this issue?

7BBAFBCE-A498-4C9D-A44E-5ACE0C7E028D.jpeg
Had this on a JK several years ago. Apparently the hinges didn't get primed & were "oxidizing" under paint. Jeep paid to repaint all of the hinges. Take it to your dealer.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Mine is sitting at dealer right now for this issue. Started the claim last year at this time and the body shop was too busy. Waited until this year, was going to let it go but more bubbling on bottom edges of door away from hinges now. They said the body shop is BUSY, we'll see what they say for timing when they actually get it in the queue. They at least gave me a loaner, even thought it is a crappy COMPASS. Really should get equivalent vehicle, but some dealers don't even give loaners I guess. Anyhow, good luck. It is really unbelievable we all have to deal with this for the $ paid for these new Jeeps.
How long has your Jeep been at the dealer???
I just started a claim for bubbles.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
How long has your Jeep been at the dealer???
I just started a claim for bubbles.
Dropped it off Monday & haven’t looked at it yet- it’s in for leaking pinion seal too from a job they did last year (failed Limited Slip). I will keep forum posted on status & resolution.

Sponsored

Ifraaz

First Name
Ifraaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
CORROSION WARRANTY
For 3 years, regardless of distance driven, your Corrosion Warranty covers any body sheet
metal panel which develops a hole caused by corrosion.
In addition, outer body panels are covered against holes caused by corrosion up to 5 years
or 160,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first. An outer body panel is a sheet metal panel
which can be seen while walking around the vehicle, and which is painted body colour.
This warranty applies only to holes caused by corrosion. Cosmetic or surface corrosion
(resulting from stone chips or scratches in the paint, for example) will not be repaired under
this warranty.
If corrosion damage is obviously neglected and allowed to worsen until a hole develops,
this warranty will not cover the repair.

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
Does the above warranty cover this bubbling issue?
Technically it does not cover just bubbling since it specifically says "holes caused by corrosion" but it sounds like most cases of bubbling are being covered.

Ifraaz

First Name
Ifraaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Technically it does not cover just bubbling since it specifically says "holes caused by corrosion" but it sounds like most cases of bubbling are being covered.
But how long warranty wise do they cover it for 3 yrs or 5?
Sponsored