Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Arkion

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Took my July 2018 JLUR to the second dealer. For some reason corporate wanted a second dealer estimate.

I spoke to the service manager, and he showed me 7 other JLUs in the shop and showed me a wait list of claims. When I asked him if this was common, he responded that he could not give me a number but stated that it was.

This is my first and last Jeep. As soon as they repair it, I am trading it in. Basic production issues on a $55k vehicle is unacceptable.
Sponsored

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
I got my JL new July of 2018. It was a summer toy until this past December. Then it became my daily and today as I washed, I noticed very small bubbling on 2 hinges. It will be interesting to see how fast this gets worse.
Mine was the same color sad face

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Took my July 2018 JLUR to the second dealer. For some reason corporate wanted a second dealer estimate.

I spoke to the service manager, and he showed me 7 other JLUs in the shop and showed me a wait list of claims. When I asked him if this was common, he responded that he could not give me a number but stated that it was.

This is my first and last Jeep. As soon as they repair it, I am trading it in. Basic production issues on a $55k vehicle is unacceptable.
The trade in are high right now so hopefully it works out

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My neighborā€™s 2019 Black Sport S doesnā€™t have anything at all yet and thankfully my 2021 Red JLUR, born on August 2020, isnā€™t showing any signs at all as of yet either.. I am definitely going to spray hydrophobic greases/oils between the hinges about once a month and I also plan on eventually unbolting all the hinges and cleaning up all the bare surfaces with chemicals that fight corrosion and fabricating very thin rubber/neoprene gaskets to place between the doors/tailgate/hood and the hinges before reinstalling them.

photo2000a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps,gofastcars,luxcars,oldcars,junkers
Occupation
Engineer, Fashion Photographer, Go fast driver
have to add a meetoo sigh. Just noticed corrosion by hood hinge.

less then 12k miles jlru, 2019. well kept. wasn't aware of this particular problem, overlooked it somehow. can't believe there wasn't a class action, also can't believe FCA didn't fix this way back...

Does anyone know. is this covered just under vehicle warranty, or covered like a voluntary recall , what is the corrosion warranty? Understanding this will prob re occur wanted to see how long. it's covered before i gotta go. out of pocket. thanks

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
just an update for whoeverā€™s interested in following my fluid film process on the hinges: I removed all door hinges, had them powder coated all around, and applied fluid film on the bare door metal and the hinges themselves. I didnā€™t have the tailgate hinges powder coated, just applied fluid film.
I couldnā€™t get the hood hinges separated from the hood (they are glued), so I just sprayed around them the best I could and sprayed inside them after removing the bolts. All hinge bolts were coated in fluid film as well.
After every wash, I take a q tip with fluid film and work it around the hinges. I also wipe over the bolt heads and let it seep in, as you can see in the pictures.
so far had it like this only about 2 months, I wouldnā€™t expect any corrosion yet at this point. Hoping it continues like this.

I really think a big cause of this is the steel bolt used in the aluminum hinge and aluminum door skin. I think those specific dissimilar metals are speeding up this corrosion, and I hope that keeping the bolts well coated will prevent corrosion. Iā€™ll report back periodically with how things look
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges BA8336DA-057F-419A-A44B-37B736C1F6EF
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 7CB4BCC8-F34F-44FA-8350-1BA610834D93
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 1443BB91-3C2F-4D81-BEBA-A946CCA17EA1
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 0E586AF6-4236-4001-8685-0257BA1B0F21

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
just an update for whoeverā€™s interested in following my fluid film process on the hinges: I removed all door hinges, had them powder coated all around, and applied fluid film on the bare door metal and the hinges themselves. I didnā€™t have the tailgate hinges powder coated, just applied fluid film.
I couldnā€™t get the hood hinges separated from the hood (they are glued), so I just sprayed around them the best I could and sprayed inside them after removing the bolts. All hinge bolts were coated in fluid film as well.
After every wash, I take a q tip with fluid film and work it around the hinges. I also wipe over the bolt heads and let it seep in, as you can see in the pictures.
so far had it like this only about 2 months, I wouldnā€™t expect any corrosion yet at this point. Hoping it continues like this.

I really think a big cause of this is the steel bolt used in the aluminum hinge and aluminum door skin. I think those specific dissimilar metals are speeding up this corrosion, and I hope that keeping the bolts well coated will prevent corrosion. Iā€™ll report back periodically with how things look
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 0E586AF6-4236-4001-8685-0257BA1B0F21
Black hinges look awesome.
The fact that the hood hinges are glued is very interesting. Glue should provide a barrier and prevent the corrosion but I believe people have been getting it around the hinges on their hood too so itā€™s very curious.
The bolt is a good culprit too, itā€™s just also curious how you donā€™t see any corrosion directly around the bolt but all the way out around the hinges.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Black hinges look awesome.
The fact that the hood hinges are glued is very interesting. Glue should provide a barrier and prevent the corrosion but I believe people have been getting it around the hinges on their hood too so itā€™s very curious.
The bolt is a good culprit too, itā€™s just also curious how you donā€™t see any corrosion directly around the bolt but all the way out around the hinges.
Thank you! I like how they look. They look messy in the pics but they clean up nicely.

the steel definitely wonā€™t corrode when combined with the aluminum - aluminum would be the sacrificial metal. Iā€™m thinking this is why we see the corrosion on the aluminum doors and hinges. I think we donā€™t see it directly around because thereā€™s some paint there. Iā€™m not totally sure, itā€™s hard to tell whatā€™s going on since there arenā€™t many pictures of the undersides after the corrosion set it

also to add, I agree about the hood hinges. I was surprised about the glue! The results of my corrosion poll definitely shows a few people with hood hinge corrosion, however the overwhelming majority were on the doors. No idea why this is the case as they all appear to be the same metal material and none are painted underneath

Last edited:

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
How tight are the hinge bolts? Would simply removing the bolts and treating them do the job? Are there same sized replacement bolts of a different material we could buy?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thank you! I like how they look. They look messy in the pics but they clean up nicely.

the steel definitely wonā€™t corrode when combined with the aluminum - aluminum would be the sacrificial metal. Iā€™m thinking this is why we see the corrosion on the aluminum doors and hinges. I think we donā€™t see it directly around because thereā€™s some paint there. Iā€™m not totally sure, itā€™s hard to tell whatā€™s going on since there arenā€™t many pictures of the undersides after the corrosion set it

also to add, I agree about the hood hinges. I was surprised about the glue! The results of my corrosion poll definitely shows a few people with hood hinge corrosion, however the overwhelming majority were on the doors. No idea why this is the case as they all appear to be the same metal material and none are painted underneath
I definitely didnā€™t realize that with steel + aluminum, aluminum is what goes. That might be why.

Perhaps the glue does prevent some corrosion since, as you mentioned, there are only a few cases of hood hinge corrosion, especially when compared to the overwhelming reports of corrosion around the door hinges.

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
How tight are the hinge bolts? Would simply removing the bolts and treating them do the job? Are there same sized replacement bolts of a different material we could buy?
im sure it would only help, the bolts are torqued to 21 ft lbs. Theres also locktite on them from the factory, the first time you break them is the hardest. I didnt have too bad of a time doing mine with a heat gun and a breaker bar. Youd definitely want to use a torque wrench when retightening them so you dont either break them or have them too loose.

the hinges separated really easily after removing both bolts. if you do them one at a time, it wont move, but if you take both bolts out, itd be really easy to just swing the hinge open and clean up whatevers under there and protect the metal with something as well. i didnt have any alignment issues - just do one hinge at a time on each door

Im uncertain of which type of bolt to replace the oem ones with, id be afraid of the strength and torque limits of the new bolt. Quadratec sells replacement bolts but im pretty sure they are the same as OEM

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I definitely didnā€™t realize that with steel + aluminum, aluminum is what goes. That might be why.

Perhaps the glue does prevent some corrosion since, as you mentioned, there are only a few cases of hood hinge corrosion, especially when compared to the overwhelming reports of corrosion around the door hinges.
yeah im sure it definitely helps, i noticed a little bit of glue around my hood hinges right away when i picked up my jeep. im sure the glue application varies on every single jeep, but it makes sense why there might not be as much corrosion found on the hinge.

For the life of me i couldnt separate the hood hinges, i tried heat and a plastic pry too with masking tape so i wouldnt mare the paint on the hood. it wasnt budging, and i didnt want to mess anything up lol

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Was there glue between the hinges and doors?
yeah but not nearly as much as the hood hinges for some reason. the glue on the door hinges broke on their own once both bolts were out

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
have to add a meetoo sigh. Just noticed corrosion by hood hinge.

less then 12k miles jlru, 2019. well kept. wasn't aware of this particular problem, overlooked it somehow. can't believe there wasn't a class action, also can't believe FCA didn't fix this way back...

Does anyone know. is this covered just under vehicle warranty, or covered like a voluntary recall , what is the corrosion warranty? Understanding this will prob re occur wanted to see how long. it's covered before i gotta go. out of pocket. thanks
Have you had the chance to bring this to your dealer's attention, photo2000a? If so, send our team a private message and we can discuss further.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored