Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Jonlilie

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ruibcon & 2013 JKU Rubicon
Welp! I am back. After about 6 months with minimal driving and a full ceramic re-coat, my bubbles are back on almost every door. I do not know if I want to go through the hassle of having the dealer "fix" this again. Is anyone else experiencing this for a second time?

The hinges were removed and repainted. New bolts were installed. It was my understanding that the unfinished portion under the door was also coated in addition to the backside of the hinges. Everything was reassembled / sprayed and cleared to ensure the paint in the torx bolts and hinge contact points are completely sealed. Im lost with what to do next.
Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
So
Welp! I am back. After about 6 months with minimal driving and a full ceramic re-coat, my bubbles are back on almost every door. I do not know if I want to go through the hassle of having the dealer "fix" this again. Is anyone else experiencing this for a second time?

The hinges were removed and repainted. New bolts were installed. It was my understanding that the unfinished portion under the door was also coated in addition to the backside of the hinges. Everything was reassembled / sprayed and cleared to ensure the paint in the torx bolts and hinge contact points are completely sealed. Im lost with what to do next.
Sorry to hear that. It’s gunna be bronco time for me if this ends up happening on mine.
Will they cover a repaint?

Jonlilie

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ruibcon & 2013 JKU Rubicon
So

Sorry to hear that. It’s gunna be bronco time for me if this ends up happening on mine.

No idea. I understand the science behind the two different metals. I guess the part that doesn't make sense, is if both contact points of competing metals are coated, how does this continue to happen?

Perhaps even if Jeep were to alter the painting process in production (paint the full door and the backside of the hinges) prior to the final spray, this process (with two different metals) would still induce the same result which is why we haven't seen a response?

bkod313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Manual Rubicon Wrangler
So

Same here. I still have my deposit for a Bronco. With their production backed up until next year, it will actually work out for me. I'll enjoy my first summer with the Wrangler, and then trade it in next Spring before any of the corrosion occurs. I was contemplating on not installing the Lange hoist system in my garage because of this, but then I have to imagine, that they will sell a version of it for a Bronco, and hopefully I can just purchase the different mounting apparatus.

No way can I have corrosion on a vehicle unless it's like 10 years old, and even then, I try to fix it.

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
I am on the Ford truck forums quite a lot. They are having signifigant issues with rust and corrosion as well. I am not convinced that the Bronco will escape similar issues as the JL.... Ford may be in the same boat as Jeep.

Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I am on the Ford truck forums quite a lot. They are having signifigant issues with rust and corrosion as well. I am not convinced that the Bronco will escape similar issues as the JL.... Ford may be in the same boat as Jeep.
One of my good friends is a Auto Body tech with many years of experience. He says German cars are built the best and have the most corrosion resistance. They place gaskets between their door hinges and use special coatings to prevent rust. I bought a VW new and that thing was just completely coated.

A body shop that specializes in Aluminum / German cars might be the best fix.

My friend will deny work with aluminum because you can't cross contaminate tools, booths, dust, etc... With steel.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just got mine back after the repair on the door panel bottom edge and one hinge. The color match was not a problem at all. Mine looks good as new. Although some may have a unlike metal cause, mine was a poorly prepared surface and paint adhesion problem. I suspect this problem will come back up in other areas on mine. Time will tell. But for now Im good to go... Dealer service manager told me Im covered for this for five years/unlimited milage. After that Jeep will likely pro-rate repairs.

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I just got mine back after the repair on the door panel bottom edge and one hinge. The color match was not a problem at all. Mine looks good as new. Although some may have a unlike metal cause, mine was a poorly prepared surface and paint adhesion problem. I suspect this problem will come back up in other areas on mine. Time will tell. But for now Im good to go... Dealer service manager told me Im covered for this for five years/unlimited milage. After that Jeep will likely pro-rate repairs.
What color is yours?

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
They need to clean out all the corrosion with a stainless steel brush, then two coats of a 2K epoxy on the door and the back side of the hinge. That needs to set up 24 hoard then they can put whatever topcoat over it they want. The reason it comes back is either they don’t get all the cross contamination out or they don’t apply the epoxy or both. When they use regular primer like most shops do it won’t adhere properly to the aluminum and fails. I have been doing collision work for 30+ years and have specialized in BMW, Audi, and MB aluminum repair. The absolute best option is to get FCA to agree to bring it to a shop of your choice and they pay the bill. Finding an aluminum certified shop is best but unfortunately they are typically booked several months out.

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Well took car of the bubbles problem today hopefully this will last as I hope the Jeep would but time will tell I feel bad because I loved the thing. I was 12k ahead of the loan and the price I got was great I hope everyone problem gets fixed and Jeep executives find a solution for people but with the paint problem the oil leak I had and the steering issue was not what I wanted to pay for. Best of luck to people that are dealing with this I will always enjoy the time with the Jeep’s I had but for now they are done.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges EF9EAB03-41B4-4FA4-98F5-162E5224F8C0

Bionicrooster

Threads
Reaction score
Same here. I still have my deposit for a Bronco. With their production backed up until next year, it will actually work out for me. I'll enjoy my first summer with the Wrangler, and then trade it in next Spring before any of the corrosion occurs. I was contemplating on not installing the Lange hoist system in my garage because of this, but then I have to imagine, that they will sell a version of it for a Bronco, and hopefully I can just purchase the different mounting apparatus.

No way can I have corrosion on a vehicle unless it's like 10 years old, and even then, I try to fix it.

Same here, plan on enjoying my Wrangler this summer, and ordering a Bronco this fall.

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Same here, plan on enjoying my Wrangler this summer, and ordering a Bronco this fall.
Yes going to miss the soft top in the summer hopefully the bronco is not delayed to long stupid COVID if the bronco gets the ten speed really enjoying that transmission

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
Research rust and/or corrosion on the current Ford truck forums. They are having some serious challenges. Wonder how many will leave Wrangler only to have similar issues with Bronco?
Sponsored