Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
I am not advertising this product but it seems to be suitable for the corrosion problem. Here is the description of the product in France, (English translation): Multipurpose oil WD-40 helps establish a perfect barrier against humidity.
Protects against oxidation and all forms of corrosion, even under the most extreme conditions. Loosen the seized parts and unlock the mechanisms. WD is the abbreviation for Water Displacement. it's neutral for the paint and seems effective in my case because I have nothing. A forum is used to share experiences šŸ˜·
Sponsored

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
Gonna go ahead and go forth with the fix on mine

June 2020 driver side front door

CA28C000-1BC0-44EF-A325-67DCF286B49E.jpeg

17C03300-E22E-4CB2-8519-F5379CF988A0.jpeg

March 2021 Diver side front door
458BD8E3-48B1-448C-912E-986B3E466C08.jpeg

9CEBAF5F-6507-49E7-A1C8-2B70B5C58E2A.jpeg

For sure growing!!! Jeep has 12000 miles on it. Always garaged.
If jeep covers this under warranty do they cover the cost to have the paint protection film redone on it as well?

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
If jeep covers this under warranty do they cover the cost to have the paint protection film redone on it as well?
i've seen it being case by case based on this forum, that's something youd have to work out with Jeep. try to work with a case manager with jeep cares, in my experience theyve been very responsive and helpful in escalating things like this. I've worked with Brooklyn, i have nothing to complain about

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I am not advertising this product but it seems to be suitable for the corrosion problem. Here is the description of the product in France, (English translation): Multipurpose oil WD-40 helps establish a perfect barrier against humidity.
Protects against oxidation and all forms of corrosion, even under the most extreme conditions. Loosen the seized parts and unlock the mechanisms. WD is the abbreviation for Water Displacement. it's neutral for the paint and seems effective in my case because I have nothing. A forum is used to share experiences šŸ˜·
google "why not to use WD40"
https://lifehacker.com/when-should-...-40 is hygroscopic and,on any type of gearing.

again, glad it works for you, but there's much better options out there to consider before everyone begins spraying their $50K jeep with wd40. wd40 is one of the biggest misunderstood products yet everyone attempts using it to fix everything

Sponsored

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
Again, I can also find plenty of articles that advise against buying a Wrangler JL ... :LOL:

Seriously Andy your article is a concentrate of nonsense, the WD40 is hygroscopic and why not mixes with water ... only criticisms but no advice, when you want to kill your dog, you say that he has rabies !

2.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Again, I can also find plenty of articles that advise against buying a Wrangler JL ... :LOL:

Seriously Andy your article is a concentrate of nonsense, the WD40 is hygroscopic and why not mixes with water ... only criticisms but no advice, when you want to kill your dog, you say that he has rabies !

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 1
okay brother, you win!

jfman

First Name
J-F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 accord, BMW 325XIT
Is the hinge painted after being mounted to the door? If you were to remove it ot put grease being the contact surface with the door, the paint seal/seam would be broken?

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Is the hinge painted after being mounted to the door? If you were to remove it ot put grease being the contact surface with the door, the paint seal/seam would be broken?
Itā€™s painted after itā€™s all mounted

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
In my experience, there was no ā€œpaint sealā€ between the hinge and the door. Some say youā€™ll damage your paint around the hinge when you take the hinge off, but I didnā€™t have that issue. Itā€™s not even painted well around the hinge, you can see some of the bare metal even with the hinge on. I donā€™t think youā€™d have an issue taking the hinge off if you wanted to put some sort of sealant on the bare metal. Toughest part is breaking the torque bolts

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
That would be my main concern is causing damage to the paint once the hinge is separated from the door. Don't want a noticeable area that shows a crack in the paint. Is the FluidFilm ok to use without removing hinges and breaking the paint?

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
That would be my main concern is causing damage to the paint once the hinge is separated from the door. Don't want a noticeable area that shows a crack in the paint. Is the FluidFilm ok to use without removing hinges and breaking the paint?
Yeah itā€™d be fine to use fluid film without removing the hinges, Iā€™m just not sure how far itā€™ll penetrate underneath the hinge. This what it looks like after the hinge is removed. The white residue is some glue that they use from the factory. It broke really easily once both bolts were out. Other than that, thereā€™s no paint damage at all. Only concern would be the paint on the torx bolts. They really didnā€™t look bad at all, at least on sting Gray. I did have them powder coated black tho and I used a latex glove on my torx bit when I put them back on so it wouldnā€™t f up the paint
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges C996F23A-5A71-4608-A82E-349A48F29783

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
Yeah itā€™d be fine to use fluid film without removing the hinges, Iā€™m just not sure how far itā€™ll penetrate underneath the hinge. This what it looks like after the hinge is removed. The white residue is some glue that they use from the factory. It broke really easily once both bolts were out. Other than that, thereā€™s no paint damage at all. Only concern would be the paint on the torx bolts. They really didnā€™t look bad at all, at least on sting Gray. I did have them powder coated black tho and I used a latex glove on my torx bit when I put them back on so it wouldnā€™t f up the paint
Andy,

Can you tell me which hinges you bought?

Also did you buy new bolts or reuse the existing? I would like to buy new and need to know the size.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Andy,

Can you tell me which hinges you bought?

Also did you buy new bolts or reuse the existing? I would like to buy new and need to know the size.
Sure, happy to help. This is what I got, all from quadratec. They are zinc die cast hinges, they come black but can be sanded and painted
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges E8E36F9A-0FE7-48C1-8C67-978A1476291E
Sponsored