Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

loganbsummers

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler 4 Dr, 2018 on order
I have a 2018 Wrangler with corrosion issues at all 8 door hinges and also a random spot at a lower portion of a door. Note that the corrosion is happening on both the hinges and the door panels. Called my dealership and my Wrangler is currently in the dealership paint shop getting these issues fixed -- covered by warranty because there is 5 year/100,000 on outer panel corrosion. The dealership provided me with a no-cost loaner and to this point I am satisfied. My main concern is whether their fix will cure the issue "for life" which my CSR assures me will be the case, although when I asked what will happen if this corrosion occurs again after warranty coverage is outdated, he replied, "this will likely NOT be covered." Ongoing saga -- I will check back in when my Jeep is returned to me.

Turbo1974

First Name
K&R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
@JeepCares enough already, 70 pages and counting. We don’t need more hugs or individual consults, but a permanent fix for delivered and to be build units. STEP IT UP!

1. For delivered units within 3/36 factory warranty with signs of corrosion, to make it right Jeep will do: aaa
2. For delivered units with no signs of corrosion, as a preventative measure to make it right Jeep will do: bbb
3. for delivered units outside 3/36 factory warranty with or without signs of corrosion, to make it right Jeep will do: ccc
4. For units in the factory assembly process, to make it right Jeep will do: ddd
5. For future units not in build yet, to make it right Jeep will do: eee

kindly respond to 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

PS: you are loosing loyal and future customers over this, as well as a negative experience from current (loyal) owners NOT afraid to spread the word like bubbling corroding paint. Show us HOW MUCH YOU CARE!

Last edited:

Turbo1974

First Name
K&R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
There is no reason for the paint to be bubbling up a second time AFTER a factory repaint for the same issue. It's getting old....
Doing the same thing and expecting different results?
this issue wont be fixed due to incompatible metals - that’s fundamentally wrong.

Sponsored

Cruz.juandavid

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
I just checked my 2018 JLRU and all hinges including the hood are showing signs of rust under the paint causing it to bobble up :(:mad:.

My first jeep, I didnt listen to people telling me that they rust and are not a quality car, and now this and also the rear defroster cable came loose, I hope the warranty takes care of this, the car has 31,000 miles.
20210409_140535.jpg
20210409_140535.jpg
20210409_140543.jpg
20210409_140558.jpg
20210409_140602.jpg
20210409_140622.jpg
20210409_140638.jpg
20210409_140648.jpg
20210409_140701.jpg
20210409_140729.jpg
20210409_140733.jpg
20210409_140751.jpg
So jeep customer service told me to go to Kernersville chrysler jeep dealer to have it diagnosed.

I am here at the dealer and the service manager comes back and says that they will not do anything and I have to take it to the dealer I bought it from.

So I called Jeep customer service, after some time the rep finally agreed to contact the dealer I am at and check why they are refusing to diagnose it, well the jeep customer service rep came back with "they are not refusing but they have so much backlog in the paint shop that it would take many many months before they can work on it but if I want to wait I can".:mad::mad::mad:

Crazy how dealers do whatever they want, so now I could just wait and risk they doing a bad job due to me forcing them to work on it or go to the dealer I bought the vehicle from which is further away.

SMH

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 Wrangler with corrosion issues at all 8 door hinges and also a random spot at a lower portion of a door. Note that the corrosion is happening on both the hinges and the door panels. Called my dealership and my Wrangler is currently in the dealership paint shop getting these issues fixed -- covered by warranty because there is 5 year/100,000 on outer panel corrosion. The dealership provided me with a no-cost loaner and to this point I am satisfied. My main concern is whether their fix will cure the issue "for life" which my CSR assures me will be the case, although when I asked what will happen if this corrosion occurs again after warranty coverage is outdated, he replied, "this will likely NOT be covered." Ongoing saga -- I will check back in when my Jeep is returned to me.
That's my worry too. It's gonna be really hard for them to match the paint in the first place. The guy at the dealership seemed a little nervous when he looked at mine. Plus it's just gonna come back in another year anyways. So in the long run i'm gonna end up with mismatched paint AND corrosion.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
So jeep customer service told me to go to Kernersville chrysler jeep dealer to have it diagnosed.

I am here at the dealer and the service manager comes back and says that they will not do anything and I have to take it to the dealer I bought it from.

So I called Jeep customer service, after some time the rep finally agreed to contact the dealer I am at and check why they are refusing to diagnose it, well the jeep customer service rep came back with "they are not refusing but they have so much backlog in the paint shop that it would take many many months before they can work on it but if I want to wait I can".:mad::mad::mad:

Crazy how dealers do whatever they want, so now I could just wait and risk they doing a bad job due to me forcing them to work on it or go to the dealer I bought the vehicle from which is further away.

SMH
This is actually what happened with me. I had to wait for a couple of months because of the backlogs and than it took a month to get my Jeep through the shop. Just be aware that it will be their for a bit.

Shitty that this is happening too though.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

SMH
I would say "Fine, what date do you want me to drop it off, since you are backed up"?? Dealerships make appointments when backlogged, all the time. I had to do this once. No big deal for them.

Sponsored

xtremegene02

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Washed the jeep over the weekend and noticed small bubbles in the paint at one of the rear door hinges. I am over a year and have roughly 27k miles.They are hard underneath and the paint is not loose and pretty sure they were not there last time i washed the vehicle. It cant be rust under the paint since the doors are aluminum. All other hinges are fine. Has anyone seen this issue?

7BBAFBCE-A498-4C9D-A44E-5ACE0C7E028D.jpeg
Dude, sorry but that's rust starting to come through. Nothing you can do but repair and paint. Good luck

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I squirt WD40 every month and systematically after rain or washing. Here some Jeepers put epoxy under all the hinges and doors. It is systematically observed that there is no paint under the hinges and on the doors. This is the solution for JEEP, put paint or undercoat in these places. But what work have been done by the employees who have been in quality control at JEEP since mid 2019 and the first bubbles?
We don't see them anymore the JeepCare ...
Based on this tread I will be dripping WD40 around where my hinges join the door on a regular basis. If I start getting corrosion on my JL I’m done with Jeep. I’ve never had this problem on any vehicle I’ve owned....and I’ve owned many over the last 45 years. I’m even more concerned that Jeep is hit or miss in addressing the issue and still hasn’t bothered to address after 4 model years of production. Who wants patchwork repairs and recurring problems. I am glad Ford, Rivian, and Hummer are coming up with good off-road options. My Tesla M3 uses lots of Aluminum...the paint job could be better but corrosion issues are extremely rare....so it’s possible to fix.

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
So the possible preventative fix is wd40? How often should it be applied? Are we to simply cover and coat the entire hinge assemblies with wd40? Is it acceptable to wipe the excess or should it be left to soak in?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
So the possible preventative fix is wd40? How often should it be applied? Are we to simply cover and coat the entire hinge assemblies with wd40? Is it acceptable to wipe the excess or should it be left to soak in?
I suspect it needs to seep into the very small crack between the hinge assembly and door since that’s the only way to coat the unprotected aluminum under the hinge. I squirt the WD40 along the top and side of the hinge.
Sponsored