Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
I think all JL are affected more or less. (and Gladiator JT ??)
Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Thank you! Does this TSB act as a recall? I called my dealership and since my 2018 has 39000 miles, they said I was out of warranty and there is nothing they can do.
No a TSB is not a recall unfortunately. They do this to limit their repair expenditures per unit to save costs to shareholders. Would definitely go to other dealers to see if they can push a claim through for you. It apparently seems to be at the dealers discretion to submit or not. They have a specific protocol and form to submit photos etc. My dealer used my photos and instead of waiting up to 6 months for a FCA reply they approved after a couple of weeks. The warranty also covers the cost of a rental vehicle for anyone getting this done.

Definitely it pays to be proactive vs reactive and simply take what a dealer tells you. Am hoping that since this has been fully documented FCA is aware that this vehicle has this problem verified. So that in the future they may be more open to doing any further corrosion repairs after the warranty expires if required. Not really expecting miracles but might be better than nothing. Seems corrosion might be covered for 5 years if it goes through the metal. Nothing is really stated about surface bubbling except for the TSB. You may get lucky. Only costs you time.

Most others simply pay out of pocket.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
A TSB is merely a recommended procedure for repair and would not act as a recall.
Precisely - it s a way for a manufacturer to say "If someone complains about this, do this" - but it's subject to warranty coverage and if the dealer even wants to do the work.

Note also if you look at your corrosion coverage, for decades it has only specified full holes in panels, not paint bubbles.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thank you! Does this TSB act as a recall? I called my dealership and since my 2018 has 39000 miles, they said I was out of warranty and there is nothing they can do.
Hey, Bionicrooster. To clarify, a TSB is not a recall. A TSB has certain criteria that have to met and repairs can only be made after a diagnosis by a technician.

That said, although I cannot guarantee any certain outcome here, I would be happy to dig in further. Send our team a private message with more details!

Kate
Jeep Cares

Contact Jeep cares .
Thanks for tagging us here!

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Mine is supposed to go back in to paint for the 4th time tomorrow. New aluminum certified shop that is doing mine said the last shop that worked on it stripped the rear door bolts so bad that they had to order new ones from FCA. Car has been in since December 1st. It now has new hinges, bolts, rear doors and new flares since the last shop completely botched the tape lines as well on the original flares. Hopefully it pans out.

Oscar16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
So I have bubbles on doors by hinges. So what can be done with that. New hinges wonā€™t fix that.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
So I have bubbles on doors by hinges. So what can be done with that. New hinges wonā€™t fix that.
I bet if you took off the hinges youā€™d see a bunch of corrosion under them where the bare metal is. I wouldnā€™t do that before you take it for a warranty claim tho. You have no choice but to get it repainted hopefully under warranty, or trade it in and walk away if you donā€™t wanna deal with it. Sorry this effected you too, it sucks

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Has anyone tried to sandblast and powdercoat the entire door / hinges / hood / tailgate?
I actually just had my oem hinges sandblasted and powder coated. I still am using fluid film on the bare metal under the hinges on the doors and for the tailgate and hood hinges . Hereā€™s how they look

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges F3FAB95D-07B4-426D-99C1-4FFAB2DCBC9A

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I actually just had my oem hinges sandblasted and powder coated. I still am using fluid film on the bare metal under the hinges on the doors and for the tailgate and hood hinges . Hereā€™s how they look

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges F3FAB95D-07B4-426D-99C1-4FFAB2DCBC9A
My doors and hood are too late to save. My paint is starting to flake now around the hinges in the hood. I can see underneath the paint.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
My doors and hood are too late to save. My paint is starting to flake now around the hinges in the hood. I can see underneath the paint.
That sucks man, sorry to hear that. Iā€™m sure sandblasting and powder coating would be a great way to fix it if thatā€™s something youā€™d consider. Idk how youā€™d match it to the rest of the body panels tho. It cost me $40 to have my 8 hinges done. I did this in hopes I wouldnā€™t have to deal with a warranty claim with a half assed respray job

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
That sucks man, sorry to hear that. Iā€™m sure sandblasting and powder coating would be a great way to fix it if thatā€™s something youā€™d consider. Idk how youā€™d match it to the rest of the body panels tho. It cost me $40 to have my 8 hinges done. I did this in hopes I wouldnā€™t have to deal with a warranty claim with a half assed respray job
At this point. I'm debating whether to keep it or just get rid of it. Too many warranty claims and recalls. I just noticed my camshaft sensor is also leaking a ton of oil. Probably just an Oring. Out of 20+ vehicles I've owned from motorcycles to cars. This one has had the most issues in the two years I've owned it. The Jeep is so much fun. I keep trying to convince myself to keep it. Kinda sad actually that Jeep really doesn't care.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
At this point. I'm debating whether to keep it or just get rid of it. Too many warranty claims and recalls. I just noticed my camshaft sensor is also leaking a ton of oil. Probably just an Oring. Out of 20+ vehicles I've owned from motorcycles to cars. This one has had the most issues in the two years I've owned it. The Jeep is so much fun. I keep trying to convince myself to keep it. Kinda sad actually that Jeep really doesn't care.
Yeah that is sad to hear, Iā€™d be disgusted too. I told myself the only way Iā€™m getting rid of this Jeep is if it develops corrosion issues. To me thatā€™s something that just completely ruins the body, even if itā€™s resprayed itā€™s not the same. I donā€™t blame you for thinking about trading it. I hope fca takes care of it for you
Sponsored