Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
@JeepCares just called me back and told me they do not want to reimburse me for my protection and coating. Pretty piss poor customer service. I had my freedom panel repainted when I first took delivery because of their error. I had the paint protected once it was perfect and now because of their awful production practices I have to fork over another few grand to have it protected again. What a joke.
Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
@JeepCares just called me back and told me they do not want to reimburse me for my protection and coating. Pretty piss poor customer service. I had my freedom panel repainted when I first took delivery because of their error. I had the paint protected once it was perfect and now because of their awful production practices I have to fork over another few grand to have it protected again. What a joke.
If I were you i would save that Grand and put it elsewhere. This paint issue is going to keep resurfacing on all of us effected and it is honestly a waste of money.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If I were you i would save that Grand and put it elsewhere. This paint issue is going to keep resurfacing on all of us effected and it is honestly a waste of money.
Wait till the $70k+ hemi jeeps experience the same problem

cool reveal today. But when I see ppl say ā€œTake my moneyā€ well this is part of the problem and why nothing changes! Can put a hemi in which is awesome, but you canā€™t keep a brand new vehicle from corroding? And knowing itā€™s happneing and do zero to try and correct it.

:angry:

Last edited:

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just got a message from my dealer and they have received approval to replace all affected panels on my Jeep (4 doors and the hood). They estimated a full week to complete the repair.
Great to hear!

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Wait till the $70k+ hemi jeeps experience the same problem

cool reveal today. But when I see ppl say ā€œTake my moneyā€ well this is part of the problem and why nothing changes! Can put a hemi in which is awesome, but you canā€™t keep a brand new vehicle from corroding? And knowing itā€™s happneing and do zero to try and correct it.

:angry:
EXACTLY!!! While I am sure it would be a blast to own and drive NO WAY I would fork over $$ for the kind of quality I have seen on this platform.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
EXACTLY!!! While I am sure it would be a blast to own and drive NO WAY I would fork over $$ for the kind of quality I have seen on this platform.
If you can get by without a bunch of mods a 392 might be a good choice for leasing....at least you would know your end game and I am assuming residuals would be strong.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
If you can get by without a bunch of mods a 392 might be a good choice for leasing....at least you would know your end game and I am assuming residuals would be strong.
Yes that was a thought - lease. Get to enjoy it/hammer it without the long term commitment and hand the problems back to FCA at the end!

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Just received approval that my hood hinge and hood corrosion will be covered by FCA under warranty. Took 3 weeks after submitting photos. Obviously they should simply lay down epoxy primer during manufacturing - but probably never will due to the overall additional costs. The cost to repair ā€œsomeā€ under warranty is surely far less than priming ā€œallā€. Extremely unfortunate for customers and FCA reputation - but expect this approach to continue based on the varied number of FCA vehicles listed.

Thought it best to get this documented and done during the warranty period so that if it appears anywhere else in the future - FCA will hopefully approve again with minimal pushback.

sandor.g

First Name
Sandor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Gladiator Hard Rock rims, MOPAR 2" lift
Occupation
Project Manager
Just received approval that my hood hinge and hood corrosion will be covered by FCA under warranty. Took 3 weeks after submitting photos. Obviously they should simply lay down epoxy primer during manufacturing - but probably never will due to the overall additional costs. The cost to repair ā€œsomeā€ under warranty is surely far less than priming ā€œallā€. Extremely unfortunate for customers and FCA reputation - but expect this approach to continue based on the varied number of FCA vehicles listed.

Thought it best to get this documented and done during the warranty period so that if it appears anywhere else in the future - FCA will hopefully approve again with minimal pushback.
My case was approved pretty much within a week. Props to Fields CDJR in Sanford,FL and @JeepCares for working on this. The other dealership I took my JL to did not even lift their finger, but the people at Fields did their best. 2 days after the approval I received a message that all parts (4 doors and hood) have been received so they are ready when I am. Dropping the Jeep off on Monday and according to the dealer it should take up to a week.
So, what you are experiencing must be with your case worker or your warranty manager at the dealership.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah was just happy FCA agreed to warranty the corrosion vs deny. Wanted to let others know the timeline we ran in to. Was told by the advisor at the time it may take months to approve. Others on here have reported immediate approval as the corrosion was obvious. So really just depends on who looks at it and how competent they are getting all the ducks in a row.

Hopefully this warranty repair is done right and nothing else decides to start corroding. But who knows. Was told it should take 2-4 days so had them reserve a free loaner or free rental for me to use. Looks like your dealer is on top of your situation.

Last edited:

Sponsored

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Let alone that amount of power under a chassis that
Yeah was just happy FCA agreed to warranty the corrosion vs deny. Wanted to let others know the timeline we ran in to. Was told by the advisor at the time it may take months to approve. Others on here have reported immediate approval as the corrosion was obvious. So really just depends on who looks at it and how competent they are getting all the ducks in a row.

Hopefully this warranty repair is done right and nothing else decides to start corroding. But who knows. Was told it should take 2-4 days so had them reserve a free loaner or free rental for me to use. Looks like your dealer is on top of your situation.
Your dealer is simply going to pass the work onto a local body shop they have a relationship with. You won't have it properly repaired, nor will anyone else.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah not expecting miracles as this looks to be an inherent problem. Hopefully the TSB protocol is sufficient. As have not seen a ton of postings about reoccurring corrosion after the warranty repair is done. Really looks to depend how meticulous the painters are in prep process and environment. Guess we can only do so much due to FCA cost cutting during manufacture.

sandor.g

First Name
Sandor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Gladiator Hard Rock rims, MOPAR 2" lift
Occupation
Project Manager
Let alone that amount of power under a chassis that

Your dealer is simply going to pass the work onto a local body shop they have a relationship with. You won't have it properly repaired, nor will anyone else.
Honestly, seeing the quality of work some dealerships can do, Iā€™d much rather have them pass it to a qualified body shop than do it themselves.
My wife had an accident and the body shop that did the work ended up doing an excellent job with a pretty difficult color.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yeah not expecting miracles as this looks to be an inherent problem. Hopefully the TSB protocol is sufficient. As have not seen a ton of postings about reoccurring corrosion after the warranty repair is done. Really looks to depend how meticulous the painters are in prep process and environment. Guess we can only do so much due to FCA cost cutting during manufacture.
My only advise is Iā€™d make sure itā€™s an *aluminum certified* shop.
This way you know they are familiar with working and properly prepping aluminum.

Not every shop is, just an FYI.

youā€™d assume the dealer would only send it to such shop...but ya know.

hoping you get it back...better than it came new (in this case)

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Jay very smart advice. Was planning to query them when the JL was dropped off early next week as the environment is key from my understanding. Cleanliness particles airborne temp etc.
Sponsored