Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Taggerz

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport
I have 1 year or about 13k miles left on my warranty. Swung by the body shop at my dealer the day before yesterday after picking up the Jeep from the service department for the ongoing knock in the rear end issue. Body shop manager snapped some photos with his phone and told me he'd get back to me in a couple of days. Called this morning to say good to go for repair under warranty, and I scheduled an appointment for the 21st. They were willing/able to get it in as early as next week but I'm going wheeling the 17-19 so even though he estimated 3 days to fix I didn't want to risk delays affecting the plans.
Sponsored

LastMango

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon (replaced 2018 JLU Sport S)
Dropped the JLU this morning for 4 more hinge repaints due to the paint bubbling corrosion issue. Add that to the 2 hinges and passenger door panel that were repainted last month. Got a Ford Fusion as a loaner. Reached out to JeepCares after they offered assistance—haven't heard from them yet, but that was on Friday. Holiday weekend and all. Hoping to have the Wrangler back soon... Party on, Wayne.

JayEl

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon Unlimited
Took delivery of my 2020 Recon in mid February. Already seeing corrosion on the driver front door where it meets the hinge. It's eighteen weeks old - directly from the factory. Already documented with the dealer, but going to wait. for it to worsen before I decide how to approach getting it fixed. Any updates on the most successful approach to fixing it for good? Even a new door runs the risk of it happening again, as does a body shop repair (with the added risk of a bodged job). Thanks all

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Took delivery of my 2020 Recon in mid February. Already seeing corrosion on the driver front door where it meets the hinge. It's eighteen weeks old - directly from the factory. Already documented with the dealer, but going to wait. for it to worsen before I decide how to approach getting it fixed. Any updates on the most successful approach to fixing it for good? Even a new door runs the risk of it happening again, as does a body shop repair (with the added risk of a bodged job). Thanks all
Personally I think your approach is the smart one...wait to also see if any other doors begin to experience the same issue before you end up with repeat visits to the shop

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi there,
Please know that our team is always available for assistance alongside a dealer appointment. If you do decide to bring your concerns to the attention of your dealer, please feel free to contact us via private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Dropped the JLU this morning for 4 more hinge repaints due to the paint bubbling corrosion issue. Add that to the 2 hinges and passenger door panel that were repainted last month. Got a Ford Fusion as a loaner. Reached out to JeepCares after they offered assistance—haven't heard from them yet, but that was on Friday. Holiday weekend and all. Hoping to have the Wrangler back soon... Party on, Wayne.
Hi Jon,
If you decide that you would like our additional support in these services, don't hesitate to reach out.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Gbart

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van
I had the bubbling paint on all door hinges and hood hinges within 8 months of new. Repaired under warranty. Now 6 months later tailgate hinges, 4 door hinges again and paint coming off on front passenger door seam. (Pics below). Body shop manager just shook his head and said that they had just finished fixing another one.

Colleague of mine at work got his JL about 6 months ago and I mentioned it to him. He looked at his and “presto” he has bubbling on door hinges and tailgate. He’s not happy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges DAA495EC-579D-435D-B36A-5D19ADBE2BFB
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 1678F505-7400-4E9E-AF6C-89B775807769
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges DAA495EC-579D-435D-B36A-5D19ADBE2BFB
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 1678F505-7400-4E9E-AF6C-89B775807769

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
I had the bubbling paint on all door hinges and hood hinges within 8 months of new. Repaired under warranty. Now 6 months later tailgate hinges, 4 door hinges again and paint coming off on front passenger door seam. (Pics below). Body shop manager just shook his head and said that they had just finished fixing another one.

Colleague of mine at work got his JL about 6 months ago and I mentioned it to him. He looked at his and “presto” he has bubbling on door hinges and tailgate. He’s not happy.

If the body shop “fixed” the four door hinges before, why would they need to fix them again?

Gbart

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van
If the body shop “fixed” the four door hinges before, why would they need to fix them again?
First fix was for bubbles on door panels coming up from under the hinges. This time bubbles were in different spots on the hinge plates themselves in areas that were not sanded to bare metal the last time. So far the areas that they fixed the first time have not bubbled again.

Problem is that it’s becoming a bit like a game of “Whack-a-mole” chasing the underlying corrosion around the panels when it pops up. I asked about replacing the door but shop manager told me he had to do a repair cost analysis for FCA prior to repair and FCA decided they had to fix not replace.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
With aluminum panels you may have this problem over and over, especially if it is repaired and not a full factory corrosion part replacement.

Sponsored

Gbart

First Name
Gord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van
With aluminum panels you may have this problem over and over, especially if it is repaired and not a full factory corrosion part replacement.
Yes unfortunately true.

According to body shop manager bubbles under paint with no obvious external paint damage is being covered by the 5 yr unlimited mileage warranty. Time will tell If they honour that.

Zas

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.harvestr.ru
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara 2.0 2018 gray
Occupation
Near Moscow
Диллер заменил меня на все 4 двери и покрасил их. Новые двери входят в коробки с петлями, прикрепленными к ним. Петли откручиваются, под них наносится грунт и краска. Затем устанавливается специальная пластиковая прокладка. Затем петля прикручивается к двери и красится все вместе. Смотрите фото. Ремонт пошел 2 недели.

IMG_6092.JPG

IMG_6093.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6095.JPG

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Диллер заменил меня на все 4 двери и покрасил их. Новые двери входят в коробки с петлями, прикрепленными к ним. Петли откручиваются, под них наносится грунт и краска. Затем устанавливается специальная пластиковая прокладка. Затем петля прикручивается к двери и красится все вместе. Смотрите фото. Ремонт пошел 2 недели.

IMG_6092.JPG
I'm glad they got the corrosion issue corrected for you. It looks like they did a pretty thorough job, certainly better than my dealer.

Were the plastic hinge gaskets included with the new doors, or was it something that the repair shop did on their own?

Checkered24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GWK2, 2021 JLU Sahara Altitud, 2004 Crossfire
For those who have had the repair done, has it been common to see the bubbling return to the repaired panel? I know it is possible, but is it probably or expected?

I went and looked at 4 used JLUs last night, two 2018s, a 2019, and a 2020. All four had bubbling on at least 1 door and many on multiple.

So it seems, at least in this rust belt climate, the bubbling is likely to be inevitable. Which is ok when under warranty in terms of cost (having to have repainting done of any sort on the exterior doesn’t thrill me) but if it is also inevitable that it will return the cost of repair won’t be cheap post warranty.
Sponsored