Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Jeepongo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited 2018
Washed the jeep over the weekend and noticed small bubbles in the paint at one of the rear door hinges. I am over a year and have roughly 27k miles.They are hard underneath and the paint is not loose and pretty sure they were not there last time i washed the vehicle. It cant be rust under the paint since the doors are aluminum. All other hinges are fine. Has anyone seen this issue?

7BBAFBCE-A498-4C9D-A44E-5ACE0C7E028D.jpeg
I got the same on one of my doors and on top of the hood on the two hinges :( Mine has only 11k miles, and I take very good care of the car. I'm planning to do nothing for now and just monitor if this spread out. Ill keep my uplates here... very very disappointed that these JLs being so new, they start oxidating so early
Sponsored

marv1294

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Student
Just curious... are you folks who are seeing these paint issues also effected by the frame weld recall? My 2019 was not on the recall (I was like the last week of 2019 production before the factory shutdown for switchover for 2020). And knock on wood, i havent had any paint issues yet. Just wondering if there is a connection between the 2. Good luck to everyone who has been effected.
no frame recall, build date 03/2018

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
Washed the jeep over the weekend and noticed small bubbles in the paint at one of the rear door hinges. I am over a year and have roughly 27k miles.They are hard underneath and the paint is not loose and pretty sure they were not there last time i washed the vehicle. It cant be rust under the paint since the doors are aluminum. All other hinges are fine. Has anyone seen this issue?

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20200605_110257
Just curious, How many of you use a pressure washer like self service car washes or home units ? How many live in areas where road salt or beach driving could be a factor ? I'm mostly in Texas and Arizona and have not seen any of this so wondering if there is a connection. Either way Jeep should have done a better job to prevent this, Just one more thing to expect with jeep ownership.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Either way Jeep should have done a better job to prevent this, Just one more thing to expect with jeep ownership
Not a Jeep thing, an aluminum thing. All vehicles with aluminum panels have corrosion.
I've solved most of mine. Doors are off and stored away. Took the hinges off the hood and just have some leather straps and bungee cords holding it on.

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Add me to this list. Unbelievable. I am really disappointed in Chrysler engineering and quality. Never owned Mopar before was hoping it would be better than this. Between failing limited slip rear differential and crappy paint what’s next??? So sad as I love the Jeep thing.

IMG_7509.JPG
So I took doors off and noticed not only bubbling on door skins at the hinge interface but also all over hinges themselves!!!

Must be more than galvanic if happening ON hinges too?

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges C90442A6-1AAB-4EE8-B3B0-290448029146

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 4455D707-29FC-401E-9AE9-6463DB0C23A2

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges AA59B10F-DD78-4F1E-B3C0-C499FFA63E62

Last edited:

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I got it too, mostly door hinges. 2018 Sahara Bright White, gonna have dealer photo them at next appointment and see what they say. Still need clutch recall and steering stabilizer recalls done too. Also need TSB for loud AC fan...the list continues...lucky I love the thing so much, lucky the kids love it...

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Just dropped off my jeep. Service adviser said it'd probably be a 2 week thing. I guess I'll enjoy the sting gray sahara they loaned me!

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Just curious, How many of you use a pressure washer like self service car washes or home units ? How many live in areas where road salt or beach driving could be a factor ? I'm mostly in Texas and Arizona and have not seen any of this so wondering if there is a connection. Either way Jeep should have done a better job to prevent this, Just one more thing to expect with jeep ownership.
This has been a Jeep thing for generations. JKs had it bad, a Google search will get you there.

Seeing this on a new vehicle is disheartening. I've only had ours one winter and it wasn't driven much, and washed regularly.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This has been a Jeep thing for generations. JKs had it bad, a Google search will get you there.

Seeing this on a new vehicle is disheartening. I've only had ours one winter and it wasn't driven much, and washed regularly.
JKs weren't aluminum. This is aluminum corrosion, not rust.

Sponsored

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
JKs weren't aluminum. This is aluminum corrosion, not rust.
Yes I am aware. My point is hinge corrosion has been a Jeep problem for generations like I said. My JK started after 2 years in between the hinge flat and the door panel. The only way to have a corrosion free Jeep is to buy a new one every summer. Jeep doesn't know what they are doing.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I am aware. My point is hinge corrosion has been a Jeep problem for generations like I said. My JK started after 2 years in between the hinge flat and the door panel. The only way to have a corrosion free Jeep is to buy a new one every summer. Jeep doesn't know what they are doing.
External hinges exposed more to the elements. And the aluminum corrosion is happening to every vehicle with aluminum panels, NOT JUST JEEP.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
External hinges exposed more to the elements. And the aluminum corrosion is happening to every vehicle with aluminum panels, NOT JUST JEEP.
Are you dense bro. Jeep did not protect the gap between hinge and door in JKs. Look at pictures where they were removed.

JLs should not have corrosion after less than 1 year where paint wasn't even scratched or nicked.

And manufacturers, Jeep or otherwise shouldn't be using aluminum if they can't control corrosion. There is no excuse for this.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Are you dense bro. Jeep did not protect the gap between hinge and door in JKs. Look at pictures where they were removed.

JLs should not have corrosion after less than 1 year where paint wasn't even scratched or nicked.

And manufacturers, Jeep or otherwise shouldn't be using aluminum if they can't control corrosion. There is no excuse for this.
I know chemistry wasn't your strong point in school. It can start corroding from day one. From the inside out. Go read some of the previous posts about it. Army helicopter mechanic saying it is a problem. That NASA has problems. Jeep worked with Audi to try to reduce contaminants when they started to build the JL to reduce contaminants. That there are 11 types of aluminum corrosion and various combinations of alloys that resist it better but not completely. Plus special methods that have to be used for connecting aluminum parts.
And most vehicles are going that way to save fuel to meet CAFE requirements.
By your logic car manufacturers shouldn't have used steel because it rusts (there's that chemistry again) and it took them decades to get control of it.
So go ahead and make more stupid statements.
Sponsored