Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I know chemistry wasn't your strong point in school. It can start corroding from day one. From the inside out. Go read some of the previous posts about it. Army helicopter mechanic saying it is a problem. That NASA has problems. Jeep worked with Audi to try to reduce contaminants when they started to build the JL to reduce contaminants. That there are 11 types of aluminum corrosion and various combinations of alloys that resist it better but not completely. Plus special methods that have to be used for connecting aluminum parts.
And most vehicles are going that way to save fuel to meet CAFE requirements.
By your logic car manufacturers shouldn't have used steel because it rusts (there's that chemistry again) and it took them decades to get control of it.
So go ahead and make more stupid statements.
Can you read bro? I will repeat myself for your benefit.

" And manufacturers, Jeep or otherwise shouldn't be using aluminum if they can't control corrosion. There is no excuse for this. "

To say that the only way to build cars today is to build them with materials that corrode "from the inside out" from day 1 (not talking surface rust on a frame) is just an excuse.
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
The only way to have a corrosion free Jeep is to buy a new one every summer. Jeep doesn't know what they are doing.
JLs should not have corrosion after less than 1 year where paint wasn't even scratched or nicked. And manufacturers, Jeep or otherwise shouldn't be using aluminum if they can't control corrosion. There is no excuse for this.
Aluminum is used because it’s less corrosive than steel. Subject either to the environment and both will behave exactly as they should when exposed to man and nature’s elements.

As Mike mentioned, it’s not Jeep thing but a manufacturer thing.
To say that the only way to build cars today is to build them with materials that corrode "from the inside out" from day 1 (not talking surface rust on a frame) is just an excuse.
An excuse for what? @nerubi isn’t excusing anything but rather stating simple chemistry facts. The speed at which a product naturally breaks down from its chemical composition is referred to as its half life.
...By your logic...
TheEddie’s posts suggest that people buy a new Wrangler every summer from a manufacturer who doesn’t know what they’re doing and doesn’t have any business building vehicles using aluminum parts, ESPECIALLY since they can’t control the speed of corrosion.

PS - he called you “bro” :giggle:

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Aluminum is used because it’s less corrosive than steel. Subject either to the environment and both will behave exactly as they should when exposed to man and nature’s elements.

As Mike mentioned, it’s not Jeep thing but a manufacturer thing.
An excuse for what? @nerubi isn’t excusing anything but rather stating simple chemistry facts. The speed at which a product naturally breaks down from its chemical composition is referred to as its half life.
TheEddie’s posts suggest that people buy a new Wrangler every summer from a manufacturer who doesn’t know what they’re doing and doesn’t have any business building vehicles using aluminum parts, ESPECIALLY since they can’t control the speed of corrosion.

PS - he called you “bro” :giggle:
Broooooooo. Hey bro, my brohammer. You two Broskis.

So you guys are both saying bubbling paint on a 1 year old vehicle is normal and expected?

The excuse is saying hey don't be mad at Jeep, ALL manufacturers are having this problem. Total cockamamie. My 10 year old Nissan in the driveway has 0 body rust bubbling or any other bullshit.

So why is a 10 year old steel body work vehicle with paint chips down to metal not having corrosion issues but the aluminum doored Jeep that is 1 year old and garage kept with showroom perfect paint having corrosion issues? I thought Aluminum is supposed to be corrosion resistant? Wait, didn't the other guy say all Aluminum cars have this issue? I am sooooooo confused bros.

Let's see how long "all" manufacturers stay afloat if they have to start repainting every car they sell within the first 3 years, if this is just an aluminum thing and manufacturers can't help it, right?

Jeep doesn't know what they are doing, but they don't care, because the Wrangler still sells.

I've had steering issues, recall stabilizer installed upside down, transfer case replaced at 5k miles, hard top repainted because they only painted the top side of it (you could see bare white fiberglass on the exterior still), clicking door checks (due to improperly bonded inner door structures, still an issue on every new JL and JT), misaligned hood, starter chatter, and bubbling hinges. All in the first year and 14k miles.

I will keep buying Wranglers because the fun is worth it, but I am not fool enough to make excuses for a poorly built vehicle.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Broooooooo. Hey bro, my brohammer. You two Broskis.

So you guys are both saying bubbling paint on a 1 year old vehicle is normal and expected?

The excuse is saying hey don't be mad at Jeep, ALL manufacturers are having this problem. Total cockamamie. My 10 year old Nissan in the driveway has 0 body rust bubbling or any other bullshit.

So why is a 10 year old steel body work vehicle with paint chips down to metal not having corrosion issues but the aluminum doored Jeep that is 1 year old and garage kept with showroom perfect paint having corrosion issues? I thought Aluminum is supposed to be corrosion resistant? Wait, didn't the other guy say all Aluminum cars have this issue? I am sooooooo confused bros.

Let's see how long "all" manufacturers stay afloat if they have to start repainting every car they sell within the first 3 years, if this is just an aluminum thing and manufacturers can't help it, right?

Jeep doesn't know what they are doing, but they don't care, because the Wrangler still sells.

I've had steering issues, recall stabilizer installed upside down, transfer case replaced at 5k miles, hard top repainted because they only painted the top side of it (you could see bare white fiberglass on the exterior still), clicking door checks (due to improperly bonded inner door structures, still an issue on every new JL and JT), misaligned hood, starter chatter, and bubbling hinges. All in the first year and 14k miles.

I will keep buying Wranglers because the fun is worth it, but I am not fool enough to make excuses for a poorly built vehicle.
That’s a lot of failures for only 14,000 miles. If My Jeep ends up as problematic as yours, I’m not sure I would again buy the Jeep brand. I hope none of this stuff happens, but the steering issue should have been fixed year one and missing paint is simply poor quality control. I feel lucky at this point, but only have 1,500 miles on my Recon. Time will tell....

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not that easy on aluminum. To do a good job you need an aluminum certified paint shop and even then that doesn't guarantee 100% correction. My dealer is trying to convince FCA to send aluminum corrosion issues to their sister dealer 40 miles away with a certified aluminum paint shop. In 30 to 40 years they will have aluminum corrosion conquered just like they do now with rust on steel.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey guys,
When looking up some hinge protection options to prevent rock chips I came across this thread. Now it’s got me checking my hinges for this issue. I’ve found one time spot which could be this starting to occur (time will tell)

either way...from reading these many pages, seems as this this is on all year JL’s including 20’s and I’m sure 21’s to follow. I’m already part of the #creaksqud (this is the creak/click noise you hear when opening the door that occurs within a few months of ownership) what’s up boys of your in this forum lol.

now that’s something I can live with...this paint issue is cosmetic and just not appealing to look at based on some of your guys pics.

so my 2 part question is..

1) Has anyone encountered this and NOT had it “repaired” through dealer or 3rd party shop? If so, how has it spread?

2) for those that have had it “repaired” (forgive me for the quotation marks...but I’d have to agree with many posters in here that a regular shop is going to repair the job untill it occurs again) Waste of an effort of you ask me, hence I am still a member of the #creaksquad and won’t leave because really what’s the point? A new door and paint when It’s just going to reoccur! Much like this, so I’m just trying to get ahead of this myself if I have to deal with it in the future.

Any new stories/info on what you guys have done whether it’s went the “repair” route....or nothing route m, whichever is much appreciated.

also for what it’s worth. I know fords have had this problem, and as far as North of the border here .....seems they are going back to steel hoods and such due to this issue. Which is better than doing nothing.

Anyhow thanks in advance for any input

Jay

Last edited:

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
According to aluminum federation recommendations on aluminum corrosion they recommend two issues for situations like Jeep door hinges:
angles in contact should have any crevice welded or sealed.
bolted joints allow dirt and moisture penetration leading to corrosion and should be done without bolts by welding or sealing with mastic.
Requires a chemical engineer to help reduce corrosion not somebody at Quadratec coming up with something.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
According to aluminum federation recommendations on aluminum corrosion they recommend two issues for situations like Jeep door hinges:
angles in contact should have any crevice welded or sealed.
bolted joints allow dirt and moisture penetration leading to corrosion and should be done without bolts by welding or sealing with mastic.
Requires a chemical engineer to help reduce corrosion not somebody at Quadratec coming up with something.
Absolutely!

Lol Definitely don't want it to crush like a Pepsi can. Most of the crush resistance is probably due to the thicknss of the Aluminum used. Also, Im sure that soda cans have some sort of coating on them to increase their corrosion resistance.

I wasn't aware that most Jeep dealers don't have an Aluminum Certified spray booth. You would figure that it would have been something most of them would now have, as FCA makes like 20 something vehicles with at least one Aluminum body panel. I'll be sure to ask if my dealer's body shop is Certified.

Honestly, I don't think we can accurately determine how widespread an issue is simply based on a forum topic. I would imagine that 90% of Jeep owners dont belong to a forum, or just dont post.

If jeep can permanently fix the issue on my Jeep, have the repair look like a factory paint job, and provide a lifetime corrosion warrany, I'd be a happy camper. :)
also willing to bet many don’t notice these things untill they come across a post like this and in such go look for it.

I’m trying to get some info on this so if it happens to me I can see what option/route ppl went and see which had better success.
Last summer when I came for some info on creaking doors..many took different avenues. The only “fix” was door replacement...only for that door to begin doing the same thing down the road.
I bring that up as a buddy of mine had no idea his even did that untill I told him mine did and he went to go open his door and sure enough. So i agree think many have or will end up with this same issue unfortunately. Hopefully not but I won’t hold my breathe

Last edited:

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It needs to be a permanent seal to be effective. And the bolt is more problematic. With just about all businesses it is a cost versus benefit analysis. They determine how much an issue will cost to repair/ignore versus the cost to make it totally non-existent. For NASA it is higher importance to error on the latter. For most car companies it is the former.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I'll send a note to the metallurgical people that they have more to learn.
Sponsored