Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Its pretty simple, just sounds fancy. It is basically isolating the 2 metals. So instead of just sanding the bubbles and repainting, they remove the hinge pInt the door and hing separate and then re asseble
Phew! Thanks, this is the process that was explained to me....i feel better!
Sponsored

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
The key to doing this right, is to completely ieliminate any Prior corrosion (use new parts Is best way). And the isolation must to be perfect, whether by gasket or appropriate chemical treatment/primer.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
2018 JLUR here, checked over and all my hinges on hood, doors, tailgate all look great. Interesting how so many here have issues and clearly others dont.
It's all in the paint preparation process. Personally I think the hinges are not prepped properly of contaminants before being mounted on the doors and hood .

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
It's all in the paint preparation process. Personally I think the hinges are not prepped properly of contaminants before being mounted on the doors and hood .
Agreed, but I also had spots on three doors, along the bottom edge as well. No where near the hinges. Something definitely went wrong. Mine is a 19

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
Agreed, but I also had spots on three doors, along the bottom edge as well. No where near the hinges. Something definitely went wrong. Mine is a 19
Sorry to hear your paint issues . Mine is a 19 white with only 1,600 miles on right now no paint issues so far I look everyday If it starts bubbling it's gone . Since I've had mine it's been in the shop 9 times coolant leak at day 1 and steering issues. Everything is fixed now at this point but I've had enough .

Sponsored

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Sorry to hear your paint issues . Mine is a 19 white with only 1,600 miles on right now no paint issues so far I look everyday If it starts bubbling it's gone . Since I've had mine it's been in the shop 9 times coolant leak at day 1 and steering issues. Everything is fixed now at this point but I've had enough .
I hear you. Its been a long road for me as well. I'm hoping this paint turns out well, and that they actually fix my steering this time, instead of telling me "its a jeep thing". If there was anything else I was interested in driving, it would have already been gone,...but there isn't. If I'm not happy at the end of this, I'll pick up a used Yaris and forget about having fun :LOL:

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
From what I'm seeing it's mostly the paint with metallic in it that's having the bubble issues.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a 2019 Mojito and four of the eight door hinges are showing signs of bubbling and found the bottom of the drivers door bottom is real bad. I have 15k miles and Im in Colorado where we are having some of the worst drought conditions on record.

IMG_0033.jpg

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
This is almost certainly galvanic corrosion on aluminum. I’ve just over 4K miles on my 15 month old JL Sahara and have bubbling on 4 doors and the tailgate My vehicle is kept in a climate controlled garage, in the Indianapolis area, has never seen winter roads and has only Been rained once or twice. It is stored sparkling clean and waxed.
My frame and undercarriage is as clean as most folks bodywork. I’m an old sailor from Annapolis and mixing metals without full isolation and/or sacrificial zincs is an absolute known problem cause.

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is almost certainly galvanic corrosion on aluminum. I’ve just over 4K miles on my 15 month old JL Sahara and have bubbling on 4 doors and the tailgate My vehicle is kept in a climate controlled garage, in the Indianapolis area, has never seen winter roads and has only Been rained once or twice. It is stored sparkling clean and waxed.
My frame and undercarriage is as clean as most folks bodywork. I’m an old sailor from Annapolis and mixing metals without full isolation and/or sacrificial zincs is an absolute known problem cause.
What color is yours ?

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I would say a couple times... Maybe... But it is for summer trail use as I have a company truck for work.
Sponsored