Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Oh I agree with you completely. What I get tired of is the constant bashing of other vehicles that just because they don't crawl over rocks as well as the Wrangler, they are some horrible inferior soft-roader with zero capability.

There's all kinds of off-roading, and there are all kinds of ways to off-road. The Wrangler might excel in one or two, but there are other kinds of off-roading that people enjoy beyond the Rubicon trail or Moab.

As long as people are enjoying themselves, who cares what they are doing or what they are driving?

BTW, this isn't really directed at you specifically...just the fucked up mindset.

Is it just that certain people's version of "offroading" is superior to other people's?...cause that's what this shit boils down to; a dick measuring contest where everyone one here that doesn't run buggy only trails or compete in KOH is a bitch. That's ultimately what it comes down to if you follow this bullshit "I'm a REAL offroader" to its logical conclusion. It's fucking stupid.

How 'bout we just let people enjoy nature as they see fit at whatever level they are comfortable with and quit trying to lump them into categories, FFS?
Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Agree completely. That's what being an enthusiast is all about. There is no absolute best brand or model for the job, and it's fun to see them all in action.

Brand snobs are the problem....I actually really enjoy wheeling with different rigs and seeing their pros and cons.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
All that being said, it is important to Jeep's brand (which is a very valuable brand) that they be perceived as the best off-road vehicle right off the lot. What that really means is subjective, but probably includes leading in all the "best in class" metrics. That is why I expect Jeep to release the Hemi with 35s sometime in the next 12 months. It will immediately take back all the metrics. This is the same thing we see with payload and towing in the pickup wars.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I thought we dispensed with this....

It came down to a bunch of queers (myself included) who couldn't agree on what constituted a "trail" or "offroading". But the SEMA numbers I posted pretty much said a fairly high percentage (65%ish IIRC) of Jeeps see dirt.
This is interesting and counter to what I, perhaps wrongly, understood.

this article from SEMA suggests that 54% of Jeeps “actually venturing off-road”. That is also a higher number than I was led to believe.

https://www.sema.org/sema-news/2018/04/jeeps-and-side-by-sides

can you show me the data that you have? I would like to try to understand this more and I would also like to understand the survey methodology.

thanks in advance if you can share that data.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Broncos are for the mall. Jeeps are for the trails. End of discussion.
lol. Stop it. You know most Wranglers will never, ever see a trail.
No one has argued that, but being fully capable on more than just light to moderate trails is still a major selling point. Even for those who have no off road interest, just knowing that fact gives them the warm and cozies.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I found it...I was way off on percentages though....

Post # 2916

From that post:

"Seems like the 10% number is just flat wrong....based on the SEMA study provided earlier:....

62% of registered TJs and JKs are "accessorized" according to SEMA's report (Pg 7). Of those, 55% offroad their vehicles (pg 32 of the report)....so according to that, roughly 34% of those vehicles are offroaded.
Thanks for this. I am studying it right now. If the 34% number is the ‘correct” number.... I.e., “about one-third“ of Jeeps actually go into dirt, that is far more in line with what I had been told was true (“significantly less that half of all Jeeps go off-road and that number is declining as FCA sells more fancy Jeeps to suburban folks”.....). Please keep in mind though that I have zero data to backup what I was told.

this data seems to line up with the link I posted above (which seems to be a summary of this study).

i love pouring through stuff like this and I will take a look. It makes sense that SEMA would first look to “accesserizers” then look to off-roaders within that. But, that does likely leave out some folks who don’t accesserize but do go off-road, Stock.

anyway, THANKS!

Last edited:

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Exactly! Completely staged. Here is an original picture from the article with the Bronco purposely parked in a spot a little higher so it looks taller. I leveled out the asphalt in the second picture. You will see the Bronco doesn’t look so much taller than the Sport when they are both on level ground.

571592F0-07EF-4DE6-88A7-7269694755F7.jpeg

D542E070-8103-46BD-AD11-52848F98B35E.jpeg
Modified JK and JT Rubicons...
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 6A79B0B6-5846-4771-ACC2-265417F0604C
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 5A043506-61FB-4C0E-B3E7-5F28265A2482
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread AB18B28C-92A4-4D86-86BA-C7682B11AFCE
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread E30BBEFD-5BD7-46E2-9F99-D53BDDD8C42F

UrbanCowboyAZ

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLURD, ‘02 TJ
Occupation
Real Estate
Yeah...and I'm a dirter who owns a Lotus. Same boat here, man.

BTW, this isn't really directed at you specifically...just the fucked up mindset.

Is it just that certain people's version of "offroading" is superior to other people's?...cause that's what this shit boils down to; a dick measuring contest where everyone one here that doesn't run buggy only trails or compete in KOH is a bitch. That's ultimately what it comes down to if you follow this bullshit "I'm a REAL offroader" to its logical conclusion. It's fucking stupid.

How 'bout we just let people enjoy nature as they see fit at whatever level they are comfortable with and quit trying to lump them into categories, FFS?
Hey a fellow Lotus owner! I wonder how many more on this forum own one, if any.

I agree with you 100%. Kind of following the same mindset that there will always be someone bigger or faster or stronger than you. There will always be someone who offroads more hardcore, so whytry to qualify everyone and every vehicle. Some people want to rock crawl, some want to desert run, some want to Overland, some just want to drive down a dirt road to clear their minds after a long week. Who cares why people want to go, how they choose to do so, or in what vehicle.

The Bronco will give someone 90% of what the wrangler will with the other 10% being different, not better or worse depending on your goals. The way I see it, the more people out enjoying nature, the better (within reason).

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Hey a fellow Lotus owner! I wonder how many more on this forum own one, if any.

I agree with you 100%. Kind of following the same mindset that there will always be someone bigger or faster or stronger than you. There will always be someone who offroads more hardcore, so whytry to qualify everyone and every vehicle. Some people want to rock crawl, some want to desert run, some want to Overland, some just want to drive down a dirt road to clear their minds after a long week. Who cares why people want to go, how they choose to do so, or in what vehicle.

The Bronco will give someone 90% of what the wrangler will with the other 10% being different, not better or worse depending on your goals. The way I see it, the more people out enjoying nature, the better (within reason).
I full agree with you.

i purchased a Jeep because I wanted to drive 7 miles down some forest road or something and then park, get out and hike a 6 mile loop. my old legs and my desires won’t let me hike 7 miles in plus 7 miles out plus 6..... I have no desire to hike 20 miles. If the Jeep can take me to a trailhead that I otherwise would not go to...... that’s a win.

is it ”rock crawling”? Nope. Is it rock kicking? Yep.

i kidded in some thread that Jeep should create a “Trails for Pusses” badge program. But, I actually mean it. Jeep should create a program for folks who could define what they want to do — stuff like ‘backwoods trail heads”, ‘fish remote waters”, “backwoods hunting”, ......... what ever the right terms are. Heck, you could even have a few that were tied to science: “find unique geologic formations”, “find earthquake faults”....... stuff like that would be amazing for kids/families and even fun for kids like me.....

then, folks could use the app like now and, if they drive down that dirt road up to that backwoods trail or geologic formation, they can get a badge sent to them.... the app might become very popular and give jeep amazing marketing insights into customer activities at a minimal cost.

The whole “badge of honor” program is about extending the brand (And learning about customers). Well, get an 8-year old boy in a Jeep and take him to a unique geologic formation. Have all the info about the formation in the app. Then, send dad or mom a badge and that young man will be telling all his friends about it....... In a decade or two, Jeep just secured a new customer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yes. 100% serious. Read the reply before this one.
Sorry, let me elaborate:

My point is that those numbers can't be accurate as a whole. Isn't SEMA a 4x4-focused company, or at the very least a company that makes aftermarket parts, which typically attracts enthusiasts? Polling jeep enthusiasts (or at least people who own jeeps and are looking to modify them) is not the same as polling the general population of jeep owners (many of which may not even know aftermarket exist, as crazy as that may sound to people like us), is all I'm saying.

See, the key part of their report that you linked is at the top: "This report profiles owners of 1997-2017 (TJ and JK) Jeep Wranglers who have purchased upgraded parts or accessories. Any reference to Wrangler owners, accessorizers or upgraders refers to those that have upgraded their Jeep." So when you're talking percentages of going off-road to any degree, I would think you're going to see a much higher-skewed number if you're only polling people who have gone through the effort to modify their vehicle.

That's it, basically. In terms of the off-road being "hardcore" and all that, I'm totally with you. All sorts of stuff should be considered off-roading. You don't need to rock crawl to prove your guts or authenticity or any of that garbage. A close-minded community is a small community and one doomed to become smaller and smaller.

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Woa 2021 Bronco 2 Door Revealed!
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...onco-with-top-off-doors-removed-sand-in.1676/

Nice color it reminds me of Nacho sometimes.
Anybody remember the FJ40 was going to kill the Wrangler? Yeah they sold a lot at first, Just like Ford will but, it'll be a flash in the pan. Remember the "New Thunderbird" ? That didn't last long. Ford is trying to get themselves out of a financial bind. Essentially they've taken a Flex, made it FWD drive, Changed the front and cut the top off.. I've owned 1 ford in my life never again...and it was a full size Bronco, Bent drive shaft from the factory, Replaced Transmission tail-shaft and transfer case in less than 2K miles, rear pinion bearing and seals at less than 5K, Power window failure at 5k sold at 5003 miles or so. Never again.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Sorry, let me elaborate:

My point is that those numbers can't be accurate as a whole. Isn't SEMA a 4x4-focused company, or at the very least a company that makes aftermarket parts, which typically attracts enthusiasts? Polling jeep enthusiasts (or at least people who own jeeps and are looking to modify them) is not the same as polling the general population of jeep owners (many of which may not even know aftermarket exist, as crazy as that may sound to people like us), is all I'm saying.

See, the key part of their report that you linked is at the top: "This report profiles owners of 1997-2017 (TJ and JK) Jeep Wranglers who have purchased upgraded parts or accessories. Any reference to Wrangler owners, accessorizers or upgraders refers to those that have upgraded their Jeep." So when you're talking percentages of going off-road to any degree, I would think you're going to see a much higher-skewed number if you're only polling people who have gone through the effort to modify their vehicle.

That's it, basically. In terms of the off-road being "hardcore" and all that, I'm totally with you. All sorts of stuff should be considered off-roading. You don't need to rock crawl to prove your guts or authenticity or any of that garbage. A close-minded community is a small community and one doomed to become smaller and smaller.
I think that you should look at the definition of “accessorize” in the SEMA report. They include just about everything from floor mats to stickers and even chemicals for cleaning/washing/waxing. To me, the universe of “accessories’ is so large that it would encompass just about anything That you would buy for your Jeep. if that’s true, then a number of about 1/3 of jeep owners take their vehicle off-road” is probably pretty close to accurate (within some margin or error).

But, You will also find that the survey was of about 500 “random” people Who own Jeeps. I trust that is a statistically valid sample although it doesn’t say that.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Oh I agree with you completely. What I get tired of is the constant bashing of other vehicles that just because they don't crawl over rocks as well as the Wrangler, they are some horrible inferior soft-roader with zero capability.

There's all kinds of off-roading, and there are all kinds of ways to off-road. The Wrangler might excel in one or two, but there are other kinds of off-roading that people enjoy beyond the Rubicon trail or Moab.

As long as people are enjoying themselves, who cares what they are doing or what they are driving?
I dont think it's the right direction to point to the individual and their offroad prowess. It's more geared to the vehicle and bagging on that.

The problem with the ford is IFS and is a less capable rig where articulation matters comparatively speaking. Old ford bronco guys arent real happy with the IFS either, so it isnt a brand hoe or people thing.

even if one never wheels thier rigs they are buying a concept, it's how marketing works. So if you want the tuffest offroader it will still likely be the jeep. If you want the newest kid on the block with the best motor and handling at speed it will be the new bronco.
Sponsored