Battery replacement from dealer

motor12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
retired
Called my dealer to get a quote on replacing the two batteries on my 2018 JL. I thought I misunderstood when I was quoted $750.00 plus tax and a battery disposal fee, but I wasn't. Is this a bit high .
Sponsored

fourseasons1621

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16JK 21JLR 20FXLRS 21PanAmerica
WOW, Is this for both batteries, both key fob batteries, install & taking you out to lunch plus joy ride in a 392? Yes this is an insane cost. New main AGM battery is 220.00 @ your local Advance or Car Quest. Install takes about 15 min & they'll even do that for free if your not willing to do it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Called my dealer to get a quote on replacing the two batteries on my 2018 JL. I thought I misunderstood when I was quoted $750.00 plus tax and a battery disposal fee, but I wasn't. Is this a bit high .
@motor12

$700-750 is about what you will see most dealer's charging to do that deed.... basically the price of the 2 batteries and an hours labor. And then the State sales tax and battery disposal fee on top of that..

I suggest that you buy 2 quality aftermarket batteries and have the dealer install those and not Mopar batteries. Dealer will say ok and just charge you the hourly shop rate to do the install of the batteries.

Do this and you will pay about the same dollar amount, but end up with 2 superior batteries that will undoubtedly have a longer service life... and be more dependable.

Even better would be to do the install yourself or pay some small local shop to do the install.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
A little over $400 for both batteries. Replacing the small battery can be a pain due to location. That said, I was pleasantly surprised that, on the Ecodiesel, there is a convenient trapdoor to access the smaller battery.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A little over $400 for both batteries. Replacing the small battery can be a pain due to location. That said, I was pleasantly surprised that, on the Ecodiesel, there is a convenient trapdoor to access the smaller battery.
@rickinAZ

Yes, a decent aftermarket Main will run you about $310 and a decent aftermarket Aux battery about $130. So, total about $460 for the batteries alone.

Now, you have to pay the labor. Some shops will quote you an hrs. labor and some will say 1.5 hrs..
Shop rate is about $120-$140 per hr. >>> again, dependent on where reside in the USA.

Anyway, not uncommon in some geographical locations to hear $700-750 when a dealership, aka: stealership does the deed we are talking about on a JL or JT.

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Anyone who thinks it's a 15 minute job to replace both batteries in a JL either hasn't replaced the second ESS battery, or was operating on "beer time" when they weren't really keeping track of how long the job actually took.

Yeah, I used to replace the battery in my 1970 AMC Hornet in 15 minutes including the time it took to drive to Kragen auto parts. But a lot has changed since then, and modern cars aren't like that.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone who thinks it's a 15 minute job to replace both batteries in a JL either hasn't replaced the second ESS battery, or was operating on "beer time" when they weren't really keeping track of how long the job actually took.

Yeah, I used to replace the battery in my 1970 AMC Hornet in 15 minutes including the time it took to drive to Kragen auto parts. But a lot has changed since then, and modern cars aren't like that.
@Kinte
@bjm00se

I'm 73 and have done this deed probably 10 or 11 times now. First couple of times it took a little longer to do, but now I can do it in an hour if I don't talk / don't get distracted.

Yes, I watch the clock when doing and so does the guy/gal paying me to do it...

I'm OCD, so I go easy and do it right.. I'm just your avg. guy with some mechanical skills.

Anyway, for those that plan on doing the install of 2 new batteries on their JL or JT, do read here, (the while thread) well before you do the deed.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ent-the-easy-way-pull-the-fender-flare.56807/

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I wouldn't pay it. I personally like performing battery maintenance and replacement my self so I know it's correct.
Do you trust the dealership to correctly install both batteries and not worry about if they tightened battery cables you can't see? They've been known to leave things loose that are extremely critical.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
The bigger issue is why did they stuff that small battery down there to begin with? There is plenty of space up top to mount it. It shouldn't take an hour plus to change a battery!

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
My personal preference is not using the start stop anyways so I pulled the PCR(ESS) fuse, and disconnected the negative aux cable and don’t have to worry about it anymore. I do have the start stop eliminator so I don’t need to remember to hit the button every time.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
To bad your so far away. I have two perfect batteries I removed when I installed the Genesis system that I would give you. 😎

WizzBang

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I removed the small battery completely. Easily accessed by pulling back the inner fender liner. There is no need to pull the fender off or remove the fuse box. After removing the battery, I pulled the wires up and hooked the positive to the main and the negative to the firewall. I disabled the auto start / stop by unhooking a hood switch.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
There are plenty of good you tube videos showing and explaining step by step how to replace the batteries. Save yourself some coin by getting better batteries and doing it yourself. Great learning experience and help you become familiar with your Jeep.

OP
OP
motor12

motor12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
retired
I worry the dealer will forget something or just doesn't care when replacing the batteries. I've watched a video by one of the members here on battery replacement and I'm sure I can do the job myself. My jeep is not my only means of transportation so if it takes all day so be it. I hate to pay upwards of $800.00 and have doubts about the job. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Sponsored