Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
It is a ratcheting style and will not let you over-crimp and it also does a "double crimp" about 1/8" apart. For the cost of the Titan crimpers, I am impressed.
Been using one for years and absolutely love it.
Sponsored

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
Can someone please help me? I have been working on this issue for awhile and started another thread today to try and get answers. Not getting power to the reverse light anymore. Here is the thread. Thanks for any help you can give.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/help-please-reverse-light-issue.39208/
I finally got it fix thanks to @SmartStopStart.com. The BCM that controls the reverse lights in the tail light can’t handle the extra lights and shuts down. Anyone else adding light make sure to use the wire for the tow package if you want them to come one when put in reverse.

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
I too have been using that Amazon crimper. Works great as long as you do your part to get the wires in there right in the right size connector.

My rear lights are Rigid diffuse cubes inside a JCR Vanguard bumper, wired directly to Aux 4. I routed my wires up through the body by where the rear OEM lights are (had to go that way anyway to get the OEM license plate wire back out to my new tire carrier with plate relocation), up in to the trim on the rear passenger side, and forward under the baseboard trim to the connectors for the Aux switches in the front passenger area. I chose not to feed them off a relay with diodes from the the reverse lights in addition to Aux 4 in case there was any sort of compliance issue with added lights automatically turning on when I back up, plus it's easier to wire. I'll just push, and turn off, Aux4 when I need them. Also don't want to blind the trail rider behind me.

wrangler-rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Greetings All, I am looking to use the Tow Package white/orange feed for my reverse lights but rather than tap the loom with a vampire and degrade the waterproof-ability I am looking at the male-female jumper connection behind the rear passenger wheel wheel ( directly under the tub and next to the bumper). It appears the factory tow connector interconnects right there with a PA66 GF25 connector, for the life of me I can not find a blank male and female of this type automotive interface. Anyone purchase a pair of these or have a good source where I might? I figure if I can built a jumper tap that interconnects the 8 pins (really 7) BUT also provides a splice connect for the 12v white/orange and ground I can maintain my water fording without fear of a short during my travels. Thanks all!

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Greetings All, I am looking to use the Tow Package white/orange feed for my reverse lights but rather than tap the loom with a vampire and degrade the waterproof-ability I am looking at the male-female jumper connection behind the rear passenger wheel wheel ( directly under the tub and next to the bumper). It appears the factory tow connector interconnects right there with a PA66 GF25 connector, for the life of me I can not find a blank male and female of this type automotive interface. Anyone purchase a pair of these or have a good source where I might? I figure if I can built a jumper tap that interconnects the 8 pins (really 7) BUT also provides a splice connect for the 12v white/orange and ground I can maintain my water fording without fear of a short during my travels. Thanks all!
I tapped it behind the passenger tail light. I think if water can get up that high I probably just drowned my whole Jeep. But I do like your idea

Sponsored

wrangler-rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I tapped it behind the passenger tail light. I think if water can get up that high I probably just drowned my whole Jeep. But I do like your idea
Yeah, if I had ignites (lower draw) I might do the same BUT I am running dually’s in my bumper being too high draw wise for the taillights. (Unless I split the load between both rear lights.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Yeah, if I had ignites (lower draw) I might do the same BUT I am running dually’s in my bumper being too high draw wise for the taillights. (Unless I split the load between both rear lights.
Ahh. I got ya. Let us know if you come up with something

new2rocks

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito!
Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. Using this info (and despite being a complete wiring noob), I just installed the KC Hilites C-Series backup floods, and what a difference!

I did things a little differently than some:
- Tapped into the power cable going to accessory power outlet in cargo area, connected through a diode to the power input in the main wiring harness that came with the wiring harness.
- Installed switch from the KC harness at the base of the driver side sport bar facing the tailgate for easy on-demand access.
- Tapped into the reverse light white/orange lead in the towing harness right after the plug that connects the tow harness to the main harness under the right rear light compartment. Connected that through a diode to the red positive lead in the KC harness between the switch and the light pods so that lights come on whenever I’m in reverse.
- I used the bolt holes at the corners of the factory steel bumpers to mount the pods above the bumper so they’re out of harm’s way when out on the trails. These things are tiny! And if I change my mind down the road about location, I haven’t created any holes anywhere.

This allowed me to accomplish a few things. I didn’t have to run a power cable all the way to the hood or use up one of the Aux switches. The only place I tapped into the main wiring harness is at the power outlet (low risk there), and if I have an issue with the tow harness tap down the road, I would only have to replace that short harness from the plug under the right rear taillight to the tow receptacle. All of the wiring is confined to the L-shaped area beginning at the accessory power outlet, continuing to the drivers side rear light area, and then across the back bumper to the passenger side (without having to tap into any wires in the harness inside the right rear light bucket area).

I’ve attached a few pics of the finished setup. The last pic (which doesn’t quite do the lighting justice) is taken from the garage looking out to the driveway. The far edge of the driveway is 35’ from the back bumper for reference.

Thanks again to everyone for your contributions.

B5944FA1-6F4B-4C5F-B1E7-E31D87B00B74.jpeg

02F65B15-43BB-46C1-A820-23171D9F3753.jpeg

53F4A3C2-B0A6-494A-8E7D-6B9FA39764D2.jpeg

View attachment 244000

View attachment 244001

View attachment 244002

4E8B6250-1BE8-4D14-AF1D-B30DE9DD9893.jpeg

1C89AD1F-9289-4CF5-AA80-F5E8B867C980.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Sponsored

LennyV

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
I'm confused about the diode requirement. I understand that it's like an electrical check valve to keep energy flowing one direction only, but are they only required if you want to control the aux backup lights separate from the reverse lights? I just connected a lighting relay with the trigger off the backup light circuit and main power to the lights through the relay. I only use them when in reverse so I have not wired up to an aux switch. In this case I'm presuming no diodes would be necessary.

My favorite install so far is the one by @Colorado Rubicon surface mount. My solution was much less elegant. If these get damaged or broken off I'll likely go with the surface mount floods. But until then these work just fine.

IMG_0887.JPG
I like these lights and plan on doing a similar install. Can you provide a link to the lights?

Thanks!

mlebofsky

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon softtop
Occupation
Director, DoD
Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. Using this info (and despite being a complete wiring noob), I just installed the KC Hilites C-Series backup floods, and what a difference!

I did things a little differently than some:
- Tapped into the power cable going to accessory power outlet in cargo area, connected through a diode to the power input in the main wiring harness that came with the wiring harness.
- Installed switch from the KC harness at the base of the driver side sport bar facing the tailgate for easy on-demand access.
- Tapped into the reverse light white/orange lead in the towing harness right after the plug that connects the tow harness to the main harness under the right rear light compartment. Connected that through a diode to the red positive lead in the KC harness between the switch and the light pods so that lights come on whenever I’m in reverse.
- I used the bolt holes at the corners of the factory steel bumpers to mount the pods above the bumper so they’re out of harm’s way when out on the trails. These things are tiny! And if I change my mind down the road about location, I haven’t created any holes anywhere.

This allowed me to accomplish a few things. I didn’t have to run a power cable all the way to the hood or use up one of the Aux switches. The only place I tapped into the main wiring harness is at the power outlet (low risk there), and if I have an issue with the tow harness tap down the road, I would only have to replace that short harness from the plug under the right rear taillight to the tow receptacle. All of the wiring is confined to the L-shaped area beginning at the accessory power outlet, continuing to the drivers side rear light area, and then across the back bumper to the passenger side (without having to tap into any wires in the harness inside the right rear light bucket area).

I’ve attached a few pics of the finished setup. The last pic (which doesn’t quite do the lighting justice) is taken from the garage looking out to the driveway. The far edge of the driveway is 35’ from the back bumper for reference.

Thanks again to everyone for your contributions.

B5944FA1-6F4B-4C5F-B1E7-E31D87B00B74.jpeg

02F65B15-43BB-46C1-A820-23171D9F3753.jpeg

53F4A3C2-B0A6-494A-8E7D-6B9FA39764D2.jpeg

View attachment 244000

View attachment 244001

View attachment 244002

4E8B6250-1BE8-4D14-AF1D-B30DE9DD9893.jpeg

1C89AD1F-9289-4CF5-AA80-F5E8B867C980.jpeg
Used the same 2 bolt holes. Works great.

drecastro1

First Name
Dr EFRAIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL RUBICON 2019,JK sport s 2011,lexus rx 353l 2018, lexus lc 500 2019
Occupation
foot and ankle surgeon
What lights did you install?
db link
DBLXSR6F