Sponsored

HELP PLEASE!! Reverse light issue

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
I’m trying to wire the light stuff in my bumper to come on when put in reverse. I was tapping into the white/purple wire that goes into the right taillight. I first checked it with a multi meter and with the light on was getting a little over 13V. After splicing the wire to the new light into the white/purple wire and testing it before soldering it light flashed on and off a few times then stopped. Now the reverse light doesn’t work and I’m not getting any voltage from the white/purple wire. Any idea what could be the problem or maybe I should say what I broke?
Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Did you check the fuse?

OP
OP
Poynter32

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you check the fuse?
The light on the left side works fine. It’s only the right side that doesn’t have power now

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I’m trying to wire the light stuff in my bumper to come on when put in reverse. I was tapping into the white/purple wire that goes into the right taillight. I first checked it with a multi meter and with the light on was getting a little over 13V. After splicing the wire to the new light into the white/purple wire and testing it before soldering it light flashed on and off a few times then stopped. Now the reverse light doesn’t work and I’m not getting any voltage from the white/purple wire. Any idea what could be the problem or maybe I should say what I broke?
no tow package? Tying into that is easier.

OP
OP
Poynter32

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no tow package? Tying into that is easier.
I do have the tow package. The diodes and all the wiring are already in place behind the tail light. Also. That wouldn’t fix the problem that the right reverse light isn’t getting power now

Sponsored

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Remove the tap for your new lights and see if the taillight is still out. The new lights probably overloaded and shutdown or blew out the driver. Hopefully it will recover when you remove the load.

Once this is resolved tap into the tow package reverse wire instead...this is driven by a relay and has plenty of spare capacity.

OP
OP
Poynter32

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remove the tap for your new lights and see if the taillight is still out. The new lights probably overloaded and shutdown or blew out the driver. Hopefully it will recover when you remove the load.

Once this is resolved tap into the tow package reverse wire instead...this is driven by a relay and has plenty of spare capacity.
I have removed the tap already and the light is still out. I’ll look to tap into the tow package. If it doesn’t come back on does that mean the driver is blown and if so how do I fix it? Thanks you for your help.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
I have removed the tap already and the light is still out. I’ll look to tap into the tow package. If it doesn’t come back on does that mean the driver is blown and if so how do I fix it? Thanks you for your help.
The light is driven out of the body control module (BCM) which is not serviceable unless you are very skilled in electronics. You can see if a dealer will replace it.

Alternatively I expect that that relay drive out of the tow package should also be able to drive the white/purple right taillight wire. If you do this though, BE SURE TO CUT THE WHITE/PURPLE WIRE TO SEPARATE IT FROM THE BCM or it might cause even more problems.

OP
OP
Poynter32

Poynter32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The light is driven out of the body control module (BCM) which is not serviceable unless you are very skilled in electronics. You can see if a dealer will replace it.

Alternatively I expect that that relay drive out of the tow package should also be able to drive the white/purple right taillight wire. If you do this though, BE SURE TO CUT THE WHITE/PURPLE WIRE TO SEPARATE IT FROM THE BCM or it might cause even more problems.
Finally got it fix. Thanks everyone. The right reverse light did end up working again and I patched the lights in the bumper to the tow package at the plug just under the right tail light. Thanks @SmartStopStart.com for the explanation.
Sponsored