Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
  • Banned
Anyone tried upgrading the backup camera to maybe a higher quality one or something that gives a wider view?

(I mean replacing the stock camera rather than adding a secondary one or getting a Tazer which will also mow my lawn?) ;)

Thanks
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Me and the wife are always impressed with the resolution an quality everytime we back out of the driveway. It's much better than either of our other vehicles, 13 Flex, 14 GMC.

But, to your question, its possible that the picture quality is limited by the display resolution.

OP
OP
rubileon

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
  • Banned
Me and the wife are always impressed with the resolution an quality everytime we back out of the driveway. It's much better than either of our other vehicles, 13 Flex, 14 GMC.

But, to your question, its possible that the picture quality is limited by the display resolution.
Yes resolution's limited by the screen but you can get a camera to produce better colors in the dark and in bad lighting and for a wider view. Once you've seen a good rear view camera it can't be unseen :)

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport; 2014 Grand Cherokee Ltd
Yes resolution's limited by the screen but you can get a camera to produce better colors in the dark and in bad lighting and for a wider view. Once you've seen a good rear view camera it can't be unseen :)
To what vehicle are you referring? (rear view camera that "can't be unseen")

OP
OP
rubileon

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
  • Banned
To what vehicle are you referring? (rear view camera that "can't be unseen")
Well the Wrangler isn't the most premium vehicle out there and there are far, far better cameras in some others... yes, often in much more expensive vehicles. I want to get a better camera in my JL just like people do aftermarket upgrades to suspension, bumpers and everything else the Wrangler comes with but people get rid of.

Also not sure how this is relevant to the original question to be honest.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I had an aftermarket BrandMotion backup camera on my 2015 JKU. The factory camera on my JLU is much brighter, has greater resolution and is more precise.

If you canā€™t see where you are going, perhaps a visit to the ophthalmologist is needed more than a new camera. :idea:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :beer:

Sponsored

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
Well the Wrangler isn't the most premium vehicle out there and there are far, far better cameras in some others... yes, often in much more expensive vehicles. I want to get a better camera in my JL just like people do aftermarket upgrades to suspension, bumpers and everything else the Wrangler comes with but people get rid of.

Also not sure how this is relevant to the original question to be honest.
I guess I find it to be very relevant? I'm in a bunch of different vehicles and I can't think of a camera that is so impressive that "It can't be unseen". You state above that there are far, far, better in other vehicles ... which ones exactly? If we have an idea of what you find to be so incredible, then maybe somebody can point you in the right direction?

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That's uncalled for. Irrelevant to the original post and is a personal attack.
I doubt you can find an aftermarket camera that can beat the video quality of the new Wrangler.
I've installed many of them on different cars, even some that claimed to be 2K resolution, but none had the quality and clarity of the stock camera on my Wrangler.

The view is wide enough that with my Tazer mod when I turn on the turn signal it shows the rear view and blind spot to left and right on my display for lane change.

I would consider adding a front camera instead.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Please lighten up. I was trying to be funny. Although, admittedly, I suck at it...

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I know this is not PC but I'm sorry... this person was just making a joke. Why are people so sensitive nowadays?

Personal attack? Where I come from that was like a hug... a personal attack is when someone hits you :headbang::like: