HungryHound

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
If you’re worried about theft, you could use one for a kill switch.
Good idea. I used my "brights" button on the floor of an old CJ as a kill switch years ago. Easy to just run the ignition wire thru it. What's a good interrupt on these high-tech JLs that won't fry its brain?

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Good idea. I used my "brights" button on the floor of an old CJ as a kill switch years ago. Easy to just run the ignition wire thru it. What's a good interrupt on these high-tech JLs that won't fry its brain?
Unfortunately, that’s above my pay grade. 😉

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
hmm so it would fit! Thank you!
Yes, fits quite nicely and as you know the aux wires and ground points are right there. An example of how I made my mounting bracket from a piece of galvanized steel channel I had in the garage.

IMG-2362.jpg

Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Here’s what I’ve done with my switch bank. Winch power controls a 600 amp marine isolation relay, and I have a master kill switch for the control center via a 100 amp normally closed fused isolation relay (my VHF radio interferes with the control center computer, causing relays to chatter when transmitting above 5 watts). The HF radio is switched through the panel, but the UHF/VHF radio is hard wired to the battery. While the winch has its own relay within its control box, I don’t like having a 4 foot run of 1/0 gauge wire being hot all the time (to protect against fire in case of an accident or the insulation chaffing through and grounding.)

Fk0LdWUl.jpg

HGJCuoJl.jpg

wzO5UdIl.jpg

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Here’s what I’ve done with my switch bank. Winch power controls a 600 amp marine isolation relay, and I have a master kill switch for the control center via a 100 amp normally closed fused isolation relay (my VHF radio interferes with the control center computer, causing relays to chatter when transmitting above 5 watts). The HF radio is switched through the panel, but the UHF/VHF radio is hard wired to the battery. While the winch has its own relay within its control box, I don’t like having a 4 foot run of 1/0 gauge wire being hot all the time (to protect against fire in case of an accident or the insulation chaffing through and grounding.)

Jeep Wrangler JL Aux Switches: cool things beyond light bars wzO5UdIl

Can you link the 600amp solenoid you used?

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Nobody's wired up a passenger ejector seat yet? For shame! 😆

Just got lights on my aux right now. If I go to onboard air eventually (if the ARB dual compressors ever come back into stock), I might put that on aux as well.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I really dig that - where'd you get the switches from? I *really* wanted the overhead switches (like in an airplane or something) but this is a a close contender.

Stefano5777

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Stingray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I
Another idea - for ME - would be to wire hard mounted ham/cb/gmrs radio(s) to those switches and set them to turn on and off with the ignition. That way when I forget to turn my radio off it doesn’t kill my battery.
Have my radio tied in with the ignition switch so when vehicle is off radio is off

Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really dig that - where'd you get the switches from? I *really* wanted the overhead switches (like in an airplane or something) but this is a a close contender.
The switch panel and controller are from Voswitch. I think it was around $250. Which seems like a lot, but the control center is computer controlled with a single computer cable running from the switch pod to the control unit (instead of a big bundle of wires). The control unit has 8 individual replaceable relays and individual fuses for each circuit so you can fuse it appropriately. The input is a single 100 amp fused service. I think each circuit has a max load of 30 amps.

‘The solenoid for the winch was bought at a local boat shop. I don’t even remember who made it. I just remember it was 600 amps, and waterproof. It was like $25.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
If you’re worried about theft, you could use one for a kill switch.
I like this suggestion. Has anyone done this?

My jeep is worried for lights, air compressor, winch and my favorite, an old OOga horn. i like being able to "politely" ask some people to move without using the air horn on them.
Where did you mount the air compressor? Which one did you use?

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I play with those at work, lol. I looked into getting real Korry or Boeing switches, but aside from them being around $250 each, they’re BIG (deep).

7HB9HLel.jpg

I originally built this panel, but after finding this Voswitch kit I just went with that. Much simpler instal, and I didn’t have to build a relay center. My original idea was to mount them in the blank cubby where the Rubi control panel goes, but found it very awkward to reach behind the shifters. Overheads are novel, but the dash top pod is much more practical.

Dd1NFWFl.jpg

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
In the bundle of blunt cut wires under the dash ther are the fused and switched wires along with one ignition switched and one fused from the battery. Can someone post a picture of where this bundle is. Thanks. Trying to visualize all the mods for my 22 when it shows up.

I found this thread and answered my own question:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/aux-switches-wiring-color-guide/

Last edited:

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
HungryHound said:
I like this suggestion. Has anyone done this?
I know a guy who needed a hidden kill switch on his golf cart. He cut a small slot into a cupholder and glued a whisker switch so the lever was in the bottom of the black cupholder. You couldn't see it unless you really knew what you were looking for.

The unit wouldn't start unless you put a drink into the cupholder. :clap: Genius!
Sponsored