Any regrets going automatic?

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
all of Europe drives manuals.. there will definitely still be manuals around.
As electric vehicles grow in numbers and we hit the 2030's manuals will be a lost joy. I love the 6-speed in my JL.
Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I am 57 and have had manuals all my life until I purchased a 2017 Corvette Z06 Convertible with the eight speed auto. Both Vette's I purchased with my brother in law. My previous Vette was a six speed manual. I purchased my used 2019 Sarah with the 8 speed auto as well. I like to go fast and when autos became more efficient and faster that's when I made the change. The spit that the exhaust makes on the Vette when floored on the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third is awesome! Love the 8 speed auto in conjunction with the 2.0 etorque. When you press down hard on the throttle the 8 speed immediately jumps down in the heart of the torque band.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Don’t regret the automatic but certainly miss the manual. Sold my 2014 JKU because of the 6-speed transmission since I had a L calf cramp during a tennis match and was stranded at the courts for 1.5 hrs before I could drive back to the hotel. Perhaps some day I’ll get a manual again but definitely don’t regret the 8-speed in my JLUR.

rotlex

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
No regrets. Drove stick in different vehicles for years. Don't miss it a bit with the new auto's.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
I always had sticks also and my truck is still a stick but I bought the JL with the auto for the single reason its easier to crawl up for rocks and traffic is a breeze. I love manuals, and would have gotten one possibly but I also am getting older and with my last knee surgery, I really appreciate the auto. The auto's are light years ahead of what they were 10 years ago and the new 8 speeds are awesome and you can still use them manual if you want now with the sequential selector, they just don't have a clutch, but you can select the gears manually so there is not a lot going on for Manuals anymore beside the "rockability" when stuck in ruts or snow, thats the only point I think the manual is better at. you'll get used to it, I did, the only time I still search the clutch is when I'm just switching over from the truck after using it a few days etc, but you adapt quick.

Sponsored

TheLodgeOne

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
People keep saying it's easier to let it crawl up rocks.. what is easier than putting it in 1st or 2nd in 4lo and letting it literally crawl up itself? I know I'd be staring at the temp gauge on an automatic more than the scenery.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
My 2003 TJ was a stick and I loved that thing. I wanted the 2.0 on my JLU so obviously have the automatic. The 8-speed is very nice, and I really don't miss the stick during commuting times (the TJ was more of a toy, the JLU is now my DD). I haven't taken the JLU off road yet, but am thinking the auto may be nicer actually for the "soft roading" I do. I don't crawl up major rock faces or anything, just some easier trails in CO. Probably won't find out how I like it for off-roading until next Spring now though.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
People keep saying it's easier to let it crawl up rocks...what is easier than putting it in 1st or 2nd in 4lo and letting it literally crawl up itself? I know I'd be staring at the temp gauge on an automatic more than the scenery.
I used to think and say the same thing, but...

A low gear selection and Four Low doesn't always absolve the driver of using the third pedal. Busy clutchwork can mean that temperature is a concern there, also.

Tellurian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Wrangler JLUR Ocean Blue (MT); ‘20 Grand Cherokee White; ‘12 Volvo C30 (MT)
Occupation
Analyst
If you decide to make the switch to an automatic, let us know how long it takes for you to even out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Any regrets going automatic? DE0188A6-05B9-4685-82FE-44A8F91151B5

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Regardless of how you want to shift, don't you want the transmission with more gear options in your Jeep? The manual may have the better crawl ratio, but the auto will definitely win on torque output due to the torque converter.

I wanted the 2.0, so the choice was already made for me. But if the 2.0 was available with a manual... I would have seriously considered it.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I know the automatic transmission is way better than the manual transmission. I’m seeing the new 392 rubicon is offered in automatic only and I’m not saying I’ll be getting one anytime soon. I’ve been driving manual for a long time to a point where driving an automatic is uncomfortable for me because my foot is constantly reaching for a clutch pedal that’s not there and my hand is constantly going for a gear change that’s unnecessary. Just out of curiosity how many of you out here made the switch to automatic from manual and if you have any regrets or love it better?
My wife's JL is an auto. In general, I gravitate to manuals; but when I drive her Jeep, I prefer the auto to my manual JL... The auto is the best I've ever driven, by a wide margin. I feel like driving an auto is kind of lazy, but, if you're doing something other than commuting, maybe being more focused on staying upright is better than being focused on not killing it.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I just traded a 2018 6 spd MT to a 2021 Auto 2.0. I actually enjoyed the manual but my reasons for switching were partly because of my family. My wife couldn’t reach the pedals and really doesn’t drive manual. I also enjoyed taking the kids out to drive the jeep around getting them ready when they hit the road. When I went to the manual, I was the only person driving the jeep. Which wasn’t all bad, :) but I wanted this to be more of a family thing, so I upgraded to a Rubi and made sure it was an Auto this time. I do not regret it, I love the 8 spd auto. It’s a blast drive around town and is smooth as well.

Personally you can’t go wrong with either, I think it comes down to your preference and situation.

McKenzie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR; 2016 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Education
Seems most manual JL owners don’t realize the 8 spd. auto is a world class leader. I recognize a manual is better on steep down hills but the JL Rubicon has great brakes that are up to task without issue. Put it in park and set the P. brake, it’s not going to creep and roll down the hill either. I love this automatic and it holds a gear in manual mode. My heavy Ram 4x4 diesel RV has a 6 spd. manual trans and compression brake. Ordered it for heavy mountain use and towing. I still find stoping/parking on a steep incline is a hassle.
As a manual driver, it has nothing to do with how the 2 compare. It has to do with the involvement as a driver. I will take a 'lesser' transmission to have the interaction while driving. We also have a WRX, and I've heard the auto is fantastic, and i know it's faster - but i never considered it. In fact I told the wife the only way we could have the WRX was to get a manual because i didn't want to be disappointed anytime i had to drive it (If she insisted on the auto we would have gotten a Forrester XT instead).

I'll also add that I loved my JKUR with the 6 speed, and the JL's manual is so much better. Not the improvement the auto had from the jk to jl, but still quite an improvement.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2018 CX-5, 2020 RAM 1500 BTS
I have regrets, but after a few attempts at test drives on manual Wranglers I determined I just couldn't find a comfortable seating position where I could both work the clutch (looong travel on it) and not have my head whacking the roof (I am tall...) I gave up and went automatic. I know it sounds crazy, which is why I tried it a few times., but just couldn't find a solution.

But this is the main reason I am watching the Bronco closely to see if I can actually fit in that one. Love my Jeep, but really miss having a manual vehicle in the garage.
Sponsored