any issues with 2018 models?

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Saved real good money off of best deal for a new one, so worth it.
Supply and demand seems to have caught up with the market, plus loss of various incentives. A couple of months ago the prices were good and there was plenty of selection. The ones with good prices have been slowly selling, maybe selling more rapidly the past few weeks, and now the selection where I'm looking is picked over. Used pricing is even crazier. I can find used 2016 and 2017 JKU Sport priced almost like new ones, and used JLU are priced like new. I've found a couple of used 2019 with low miles and a couple of new 2019 that are priced the same as new 2020. So yes a used 2018 is less but just a little bit less, maybe $3k.
I don't know what it is about the Sahara models but their used prices are down close to prices of Sport models so if you want a Sahara, you can get a better deal on them used. Rubicons too but even used those are for the people with crazy money, way out of my price range. But a used low mile Rubicon can be found for similar price to a new Sport S.
Sponsored

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Back when I bought jlur, I found it for 6 grand less than my best price new. But now, who knows. When times are rough, sometimes deals can be found, but you have to look hard for them. Could be new, could be used. Depends on the market.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my new 2018, production month June, in July 2019. It came with a number of add-on options. I beat them down to $8,000 off MSRP - a full 21% below. The steering is very tight, AFTER I replaced the stock ATs with 33” Toyo Open Country AT2s. It is STILL tight, after a 3.5–4.5” JKS lift.

Regarding death wobble, I have owned a number of front solid axle vehicles in the past. I have experienced death wobble countless times (but never in my Jeep). EVERY SINGLE TIME the death wobble was caused by a tire losing a balance weight, or the tires were so old they were out-of-round. Rebalancing or replacing the tires fixed it every time, in spite of the suspensions being quite old.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I have a Sport S Unlimited built in January 18 and the only issue I had was my Uconnect (the smallest one) wouldn't update; would just give an annoying message at start up and I'd have to hit the compass or radio button to send it away. Not a huge deal, but dealer just swapped out the whole unit when I had it in for an oil change. No other issues.

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
2018 JL Sport 2 Door - Premium Soft top and A/C as my only options. Replaced the steering damper myself (Fox 2.0) - noticeable improvement, steering wasn't loose but it got tighter after. 0 issues so far 31k miles in since I got it April 2019 with 2 miles on the OD. Bigger tires, new grille, lights, mirrors...all basic mods nothing mechanical. I'll see how it takes a lift soon. Keep up with the regular maintenance as many others have and will recommend.

Sponsored

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regarding death wobble, I have owned a number of front solid axle vehicles in the past. I have experienced death wobble countless times (but never in my Jeep). EVERY SINGLE TIME the death wobble was caused by a tire losing a balance weight, or the tires were so old they were out-of-round. Rebalancing or replacing the tires fixed it every time, in spite of the suspensions being quite old.
I've heard about the death wobble. I've experienced this in 2WD vehicles due to worn suspension components, usually the idler arm in the tie rod system. I've driven lots of solid axle vehicles with no problems. The only one that I've owned was a Jeep WJ. We put 150k miles on it with no steering issues. I would like to be able to buy a new version of that vehicle and in some ways I think the JLU is it. The WK2 is good enough, and I've spend a lot of time riding in 2WD versions, but for my needs it is hard to lift and hard to fit larger tires on.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

ive had my 2018 for a year and a half now. bought it brand spanking new. Only issue i have had was a rear main seal started to leak after a 4 day overland trip. dealer warrantied the work with zero problems other than waiting a week for the part to show up. other than that i have done all the recalls but the clutch one to date. no more issues

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I bought an August 2018 build in October 2019 and I've had zero issues. They did the steering damper recall before I bought it and I'm waiting on the clutch recall parts. But it drives and steers great, build quality seems excellent. No issues with my infotainment or other electronics. Can't speak to weld quality because I know nothing about what a good weld looks like beyond I know welds can look pretty bad visually but still serve their purpose just fine.

Only have 4k miles on mine, but it did sit on a lot for over a year with no apparently problems.

Sponsored

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
2018 JLUR. Ive had a few things wrong, but minor; steering damper recall, which helped a bunch with the loose steering feel, minor subwoofer rattling, and radiator seem busting. All warranty items, but I’m not complaining.

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
Well I have 21k on mine, off road it quite a bit and have thouroughly enjoyed it. The obvious flaw they have not fixed is the cheap easily broken windshields, other than that not a prob. My wifes rear defroster had to be replaced and she had a computer component that was shutting her down that had to be replaced, early on but otherwise no problems with hers as well except she refuses to get it muddy.

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did go ahead and buy a 2018 JLU Sport S with 4k miles. It looks and feels like new.

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Congrats! Welcome to the club. Hope it's one of the good clubs and not a bad club!
Sponsored