Sponsored

any issues with 2018 models?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Being the first year of the model, are there any issues that were fixed in later years? Are there any reasons to not buy a used 2018?
(FWIW there isn't much depreciation from 2020 to 2019 to 2018.)
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
From what I've read, absolutely nothing has been fixed in later model years.
Being the first year of the model, are there any issues that were fixed in later years? Are there any reasons to not buy a used 2018?
My two JLā€˜s are early 2018. Build date for my Rubicon was 1/3/18 and my Sahara was 5/1/18. Other than normal recalls (during routine service) Iā€™ve had no issues with either. No death wobble, no wandering, no loss of electronics and once I got the off-road pages download they have functioned perfectly. I think that most of the whining on this forum is way over done based on my experiences. If you have any specific questions please just ask. Iā€™d go for it as long as the prevous owner didnā€™t go nuts with ā€œstupid upgradesā€.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What??? No steering issues, death wobble, paint bubbling, software issues, bad seats, bad welds, noise, leaks, won't start? You truly are unique.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I bought my JL in January of 2018 and haven't had any issues other than the aircard in my UConnect is dead which has rendered the GPS useless. As far as steering, paint, welds, wobbles, and everything else, my Wrangler has been flawless.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 2018 JLU Sahara last November; it has 3,600 miles:
  1. The backup camera went totally blank once
  2. The BSM disabled itself when the shaking started on the trail; itā€™s happened twice
Self-correct every time. Other than that, no issues yet.

Oh, and the Sirius Travel Link Weather Alert is useless, annoying, a total PITA...and cannot be turned off.

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Tex, you gave me a good chuckle with your post. I know folks have asked a thousand times about that thumbwheel. I have a fully loaded 2019 Sahara. A couple of times while in the Jeep at night Iā€™ve said to myself, ā€œalright Iā€™m gonna figure this footwell/cup holder dimmer outā€. I donā€™t care what anyone says, that wheel doesnā€™t do s**t! At least in my Jeep. I too have just said ā€œah the hell with itā€.
As far as the OP, mine has also been trouble free.

PullmeSideways1341

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a 18ā€™ JLUR with Sky One Touch.

No issues to report! It drives like a jeep. Actually has significantly better quality and performance than my 2 JKs, TJ and CJ7 :)

maybe there is death wobble out there. I had a lifted TJ that got out of spec and I know what load you pants at 65 mph really feels like....

Remember too, folks get emotional (vehicles cost a lot) - but all of these are simply a bucket of parts. It all can be fixed with the proper part(s) - (sans bad engineering)

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Samā€™s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I have an 18 JLUR six speed. Had the audio cutting-in / cutting-out issue, fixed by replacing the rear back up camera via a service bulletin. Steering has honestly been cherry. A couple recalls along the way - steering damper and now a clutch recall. The hand brake isnā€™t quite right, theyā€™ve worked on it twice, not fixed....not a major issue and I live with it. The electronic start / stop doesnā€™t work half the time. Theyā€™ve looked at it, havenā€™t fixed it. (I only curse when the ESS IS working, and quickly shut it off.). Oh the rear defroster appears to have burnt off one side, replaced under warranty.

I think 19s still had some of these issues.

And somehow I still love this shit box, regardless.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Let me approach the question from an uncovered angle.

You're not married to speed adjusted cruise control are you? That wasn't available in the 2018.

Sponsored

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Bought a used 2018 model in 2019. Do your research on this forum before you buy it.
Focus on the steering, if it seems worse than other Jeeps, don't buy. Mine was tighter than others I test drove that were new.
Try to find a lease return with no mods and clean undercarriage. Look very carefully at everything.
Bought mine from a dealer, supposedly certified, yet the ess wouldn't come on and the rear seat latch broke the first time I folded it down.
Make the dealer fix everything you find bad before delivery.
Most likely, anything major was found and fixed on warranty by previous owner.
Saved real good money off of best deal for a new one, so worth it.
Mine was a soft top model. I have saggy rear windows, but newer model years look different and better than mine, so they may have fixed something there.
Good Luck!

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
2018 early build JLU Sahara, auto w/select trac now 26k and all OK except minor recalls. Some moderate off road, 90% on road. My 2 cents!

Go for it!!

Go Jeep!!!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP, is this a 3.6 ESS or 2.0 BSG that you are looking at.

if 3.6, there is some speculation on this board that Jeep changed ā€œsomethingā€ in the 2020 or late 2019 models to make the Jeep easier to jump start when the aux battery is totally drained.
Sponsored

Last edited: