Sponsored

Windshield Tint with ACC - any issues?

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Working with a local tint guy to do the side windows and asked about doing a visor on the windshield. His recommendation was to tint the entire windshield since it's so "short" and the visor might not look right. Regardless....my Jeep has ACC. If I tint the windshield, either full or visor, would applying tint on the portion in front of the ACC cameras/sensors cause issues with ACC?
Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Working with a local tint guy to do the side windows and asked about doing a visor on the windshield. His recommendation was to tint the entire windshield since it's so "short" and the visor might not look right. Regardless....my Jeep has ACC. If I tint the windshield, either full or visor, would applying tint on the portion in front of the ACC cameras/sensors cause issues with ACC?
You guys are allowed to tint your windshields there??

Jeeprscreeprs

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 jeep cherokee
Occupation
rv tech
Dont tint your windshield it makes you look like a drug dealer

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase

illegal in Illinois

ILLINOIS
Any glass tinting on the front and side windows is prohibited, except when accompanied by a certification by a licensed physician stating that the driver’s medical condition would require it.

Exceptions may be permitted for certain windows with specified light transmittance and variances.

A non-reflective tinted film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield.

The use of non-reflective, smoked or tinted glass, non-reflective film, perforated window screen, or other decorative window application on windows to the rear of the driver’s seat is permitted, except the motor vehicle must be equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle and may not have window treatment on the windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver.

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
A good tint guy is going to "CUT" that portion of the tint away so that there is no obstruction of view to the sensor.
Also the windshield is not so short that it looks unusual with just the "visor" tinted. My tint guy is truly an artist at this work.
He applied the "Visor" just as low as I requested. It makes a huge difference. You can still see clearly day or night because the windshield is clear and the only time you are looking through the tint is at a traffic light....and you can easily look through it.
Here are some pics of mine so to help you decide whether you get Full or Visor.

BTW.....we are here to help each other....with what ever project we (free people) see fit to undertake.
Stop being the Tint Police. He is a grown up now, he has his own jeep. Relax my fellow jeep enthusiast.
Good luck and Enjoy the Ride !

Jeep1.jpg

Jeep2.jpg

Jeep3.jpg

Jeep4.jpg

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
BTW.....we are here to help each other....with what ever project we (free people) see fit to undertake.
Stop being the Tint Police. He is a grown up now, he has his own jeep. Relax my fellow jeep enthusiast.
Yes, but some people rely on the professional to keep them legal, so I posted to be sure he is aware that tinting the entire windshield is illegal in his state.

OP
OP
bpdunsta

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
A good tint guy is going to "CUT" that portion of the tint away so that there is no obstruction of view to the sensor.
Also the windshield is not so short that it looks unusual with just the "visor" tinted. My tint guy is truly an artist at this work.
He applied the "Visor" just as low as I requested. It makes a huge difference. You can still see clearly day or night because the windshield is clear and the only time you are looking through the tint is at a traffic light....and you can easily look through it.
Here are some pics of mine so to help you decide whether you get Full or Visor.
Thanks @iznthesky ! These photos are helpful. It's just hard to get a sense of what tinting "around" the big ACC box will look like, but I appreciate the response.

OP
OP
bpdunsta

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Yes, but some people rely on the professional to keep them legal, so I posted to be sure he is aware that tinting the entire windshield is illegal in his state.
Thanks @TimmH ! I will follow-up with the guy -- he came highly recommended and works closely with a local shop owned by a friend of a friend.

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Thanks @iznthesky ! These photos are helpful. It's just hard to get a sense of what tinting "around" the big ACC box will look like, but I appreciate the response.
My Tint guy did mine and cut around the box on my Corvette. It looks perfect. If you have a good tint guy...then he should have the skill to do this with such precision...that you don't even notice. Good luck

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
20190409_112439.jpg
20190409_111929.jpg
20190409_111929.jpg
20190409_111946.jpg
20190409_112439.jpg
20190409_111929.jpg
20190409_111946.jpg
20190409_112439.jpg
I think he is right about a strip, doesn't look good on short windshield. I personally don't like looking at the line in front of my view. It's illegal here to tint a windshield but I've always done it, not dark but 50% or less. I always get a ceramic film and it makes a huge difference in heat rejection. These pics are on a very overcast day but the sides are 30% and front 50%

OP
OP
bpdunsta

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I think he is right about a strip, doesn't look good on short windshield. I personally don't like looking at the line in front of my view. It's illegal here to tint a windshield but I've always done it, not dark but 50% or less. I always get a ceramic film and it makes a huge difference in heat rejection. These pics are on a very overcast day but the sides are 30% and front 50%
Thanks @Dagwood !

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
We are here to help each other...which includes helping someone avoid a stupid idea such as tinting your entire windshield, especially when it is illegal. That is part of helping.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I agree with having the whole windshield done or not at all. I've used Llumar Air 80 on my vehicles windshields with good results, but those have a much bigger glass area. On the Jeep I didn't feel it's worth it because of the small windshield. I strongly recommend Fire Guys Tint in Antioch.
Sponsored