AEV Borah wheels on JL

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
SO, I got the Borahs for my 2020 with 3.5" Metal Cloak lift (plus 1" spacers for 4.5"). With Milestar Patagonias 38x13.5, I rub my control arm on full turn. Also, when I'm on the lift (both tires drooping), the driver side rear sway bar presses into my tire. I'm not so pleased.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV Borah wheels on JL 20211101_123747

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
I just mounted the JL spec Borah's and was not expecting as much poke and I love it. I for some reason did the math wrong on the offset and bs and thought they would be tucked in more. Thankfully I was wrong.
Compared to the XR bead locks I just took off these don't poke out as much and I think they fit perfectly. Wrapped in 315/70/17 KO2's on stock height
Jeep Wrangler JL AEV Borah wheels on JL IMG_0785.JPG

Last edited:

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
Thank you once again to all who posted on this thread. Adding my contribution to help the next person decide
Decided to give the Jk spec Borahs a shot with their slightly more aggressive offset; +4mm
Tires: 37x12.5x17 BFG's load C

Before rear leveling spacer:

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV Borah wheels on JL IMG_1348.JPG

After rear leveling spacer

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV Borah wheels on JL IMG_1378 2.JPG

Sponsored

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
SO, I got the Borahs for my 2020 with 3.5" Metal Cloak lift (plus 1" spacers for 4.5"). With Milestar Patagonias 38x13.5, I rub my control arm on full turn. Also, when I'm on the lift (both tires drooping), the driver side rear sway bar presses into my tire. I'm not so pleased.

38x13.5 was pushing it... you can add wheel spacers or add a washer or two under the steering stops to limit your steering radius. As for the sway bar, I'd bet your axle isn't centered. Have you ran an alignment after installing your lift?

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
38x13.5 was pushing it... you can add wheel spacers or add a washer or two under the steering stops to limit your steering radius. As for the sway bar, I'd bet your axle isn't centered. Have you ran an alignment after installing your lift?
I'll probably end up putting steering stops in. I have the Metalcloak GC lift 3.5 (with 1" spacers on drivers and 1.5" spacers on passenger), so the control arms are rounded... no tire damage if I rub. I won't be doing wheel spacers.

I definitely got a full alignment after the lift. Visually, the axle is centered. The tires stick out the same on both sides.

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'll probably end up putting steering stops in. I have the Metalcloak GC lift 3.5 (with 1" spacers on drivers and 1.5" spacers on passenger), so the control arms are rounded... no tire damage if I rub. I won't be doing wheel spacers.

I definitely got a full alignment after the lift. Visually, the axle is centered. The tires stick out the same on both sides.
That's weird then, I'm running 37x12.5 and the rear sway bar is not even close. Depending on where it is rubbing, maybe you can lengthen or shorten your links to help with the situation?

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That's weird then, I'm running 37x12.5 and the rear sway bar is not even close. Depending on where it is rubbing, maybe you can lengthen or shorten your links to help with the situation?
That's my thought, or just delete the rear sway bar.

yarmo

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone sheared off the nylon bolts that come with the wheel when running without a ring? I've sheared 4 now and can't decide if I need to shove a drill bit in there or if there's an easier way since it's just plastic?

Sponsored

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Has anyone sheared off the nylon bolts that come with the wheel when running without a ring? I've sheared 4 now and can't decide if I need to shove a drill bit in there or if there's an easier way since it's just plastic?
Get a junk screw driver and heat up the tip.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Are the protection rings required if you're doing significant rock crawling? I didn't order them with my JL370, but now I'm wondering if that was a bad decision. I was thinking that they'd stick out so far that they'd just get scraped to hell and back.

This will be with their new DualSport XP suspension with Bilstein reservoir shocks.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Are the protection rings required if you're doing significant rock crawling? I didn't order them with my JL370, but now I'm wondering if that was a bad decision. I was thinking that they'd stick out so far that they'd just get scraped to hell and back.

This will be with their new DualSport XP suspension with Bilstein reservoir shocks.
Required? Not at all. But consider the protection rings as "sacrificial".

I have yet to order them as well. Choose your obstacles wisely.

ssrgeoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2022 JLURD
Thank you once again to all who posted on this thread. Adding my contribution to help the next person decide
Decided to give the Jk spec Borahs a shot with their slightly more aggressive offset; +4mm
Tires: 37x12.5x17 BFG's load C

Before rear leveling spacer:

After rear leveling spacer

Are you saying you first purchased the JL version then switched to the JK? Do you have a pic down the side to match the JL version you posted above?

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast

I ran the Borahs on my JK with no ring and with protection ring. The protection ring is something you'll absolutely want if you do serious wheeling. That section of the wheel sticks out far enough that if your tire gets shoved into a bank you're making contact there pretty quick. Ruined a wheel without the protection ring before I wised up. IMO, the config without protection ring is street duty or gravel roads only.
Sponsored