4cyl not too bad actually

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue Sky One-Touch
I also had the 2.0 turbo while my 3.6 Wrangler was in for the recall part swap. Hated the 2.0 it has decent pickup but the engine noise was just awful.
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Why does everybody say direct injection needs a catch can?
With direct injection fuel is injected directly into the cylinder. With port injection the fuel is injected into the intake ports which washes the intake valves. This reduces/eliminates build up on the intake valves. A catch can will reduce the amount of oil burned by the engine which will help reduce deposits on the intake valves.

Last edited:

kmg0624

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I'm pretty happy with my 2.0, I feel it gets off the line plenty quick enough for a box on wheels, has plenty of torque and gets pretty good mpgs. I was hesitant at first but overall I'm happy with it
Hi, curious if you use regular gas or premium gas?

OP
OP
Jimmy_jak

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just out of curiosity, did you expect it to be bad? If so, why?
Not at all! Just saying it was nice to have a real world comparison.

Sponsored

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
Iā€™ve got 14K now on my ā€˜19 JLU Sahara. The 2.0 doesnā€™t disappoint. Yep, the exhaust note takes some getting used to but I really only hear it when Iā€™m hitting the entrance ramp to the highway. Iā€™m already at 80 mph before I merge so thatā€™s pretty much fun.

Went wheeling in the mud and rain yesterday and loved the feeling. All Jeep and lots of power, too. If I had the Rubeā€™s K02ā€™s instead of the Bridgestone All Terrains I might have just left things in 2WD and the LSD do all the work. No regrets here. I did buy the extra warranty just in case but someone has to try the new stuff out so it can become the old stuff. Outside of the JK, Jeep has always had a 4 cylinder in the lineup. I do love the gas mileage - steady at 21 mph even with my lead foot.

All this said, Iā€™d really like to drive the 3.6 with eTorque. I know what eTorque does for the 2.0 so it has to be strong in the 3.6. Sounds like an excuse to go kick some tires...

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
We have two 2020 JLUs with the 2.0T and use regular gas in both. 6200 miles on one and 2200 on the other. No problems using regular. Used regular in our BMWs before this and no problems in those either.

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The 4-cyl was a serious consideration here. Felt no difference in performance on the test drives (comparing 4cyl vs v6).
More proven / more assumed reliability of the V6 ultimately won out.

Fuel economy is better in the 4cyl for sure. But if I drive slower, I can get that 20% in the V6. So for the price of "less speed" I get "proven reliability". I was willing to pay that price. And when I wanted to (fuel econ aside) the actual performances seemed equal.

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
I love driving my 2.0 turbos! One in my Sport gets 23+mpg in stock form. One in my Rubicon gets 17.7 in stock form.
Big difference is the gear ratio and added weight.
I use Lucas Bros Fuel Treatment to keep system clean. Have used it in other 2.0 turbos in my VWs in the past.
Seriously, I loved the fast turbo engine in my cars and putting it in my Jeeps made them amazingly fun. I can cruise along calmly on the freeway but press the skinny pedal and launch to faster speeds in a heartbeat.
Iā€™ve never owned such an all-around fun vehicle.
The 2.0 turbo has been way better than the 3.6 with e-torque. It seemed gutless and slowly boring compared to the 2.0 with les mpg.

OP
OP
Jimmy_jak

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If I did it all over again I'd have gotten the 4cyl

Sponsored

Rangerhughes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon 2 door, 2020 Mercedes AMG 45, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2018 Dodge PW: 2017 Indian Chieftain
This weekend I was driving above 10K feet in elevation, loaded down with wife, kid and dog, my 2.0 had plenty of power climbing in and out of the valley's , in comparison to my 2018 Ram Power Wagon it both have 35's and the Jeep felt just as responsive but gets better gas mileage.
jeep2.jpg

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The question was pretty simple for me... no manual transmission = no 4 cylinder engine. If stick shift had been available maybe Iā€™d have given it a shot.

This may be the last new wrangler I buy, actually...

Goat

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler jl sport 2.0
So far in the winter I'm using regular 87 and once summer approaches I'll start using premium

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I love my turbo. It's all personal preference. 3.6 owners I hope you never have to replace your oil pump, it aint cheap.
Sponsored