Sponsored

4cyl not too bad actually

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I own a 19 JLU Sport S 3.6L...it's in the shop right now.

So I have an August build 2018 JLU Sport as a loaner. 4Cyl with the turbo as well as the auto start feature. 6K miles.

The 4cyl is plenty strong on the roads. Had whole family plus one. Not a single thing to notice as far as being less capable. Nice acceleration as well.

No CHIRP at startup! Can you imagine?!?! Not once not a single chirp.

Also of note, no wandering in the steer. Not an engine issue but great to experience. Now I know how jacked up my steering actually is. Even after the new damper being installed.

Auto start is fun. Not something I'd order but still a nice feature.

So that's it. Nothing earth earth shat to write. Just nice to drive the other engine. I need to go off-road and see how it does but honestly if it's a reliable engine I would have no problem ordering one
Sponsored

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
It's a perfectly fine engine. Doesn't growl like a V6, but accelerates just as fast while getting about 20% better gas mileage.

People will jump in and list all kinds of reasons it sucks. Some are valid - maintenance costs will be higher on the 4cyl, but I've never heard of a Jeep that didn't want to empty your wallet after a certain number of miles.

Bigdagdaman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I drove both and I loved the 4cyl. It's just people not wanting to change with the times. Also, I have not heard maintenance costs will be higher.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Also, I have not heard maintenance costs will be higher.
It has been discussed pretty often...

- 2.0 needs spark plugs every 30k miles vs 3.6 every 100k miles

- 2.0 direct injection (carbon deposits) vs 3.6 port injection

- 2.0 premium vs 3.6 regular gas

- concern over BSG component costs outside of warranty (which will now also include the Sahara’s 3.6)

MJM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2004 GC Limited, 2018 Silverado LTZ, 2000 GMC Sierra SLT, 2000 Camaro SS
The 2020 2.0 turbo doesn't have BSG. Milage is still good. Averaging about 20.5 in ours overall so far. The plugs look easy to do so no big deal. Premium is not required, but it does perform better on it. The carbon concerns on DI are real. We've had two other DI vehicles and catch cans are a must in my opinion. Not just any can, but the best you can get. I use an Elite Engineering in my Silverado, but they don't seem to have a kit fr the JLR, yet. I'm hoping soon. Besides all that, we bought an extended warranty, so I'm not too concerned about repair costs for at least six years or 125k miles.

Sponsored

Bigdagdaman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

- 2.0 needs spark plugs every 30k miles vs 3.6 every 100k miles (correct)

- 2.0 direct injection (carbon deposits) vs 3.6 port injection (not proven yet on this engine)

- 2.0 premium vs 3.6 regular gas ( It's recommended in the summer for better performance but you can use regular octane year around. It's been updated in the manual)

- concern over BSG component costs outside of warranty (which will now also include the Sahara’s 3.6)
- you forgot to mention the fuel savings with the 2.0 and really, this all should be measured in costs per mile driven.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
It's a perfectly fine engine. Doesn't growl like a V6, but accelerates just as fast while getting about 20% better gas mileage.

People will jump in and list all kinds of reasons it sucks. Some are valid - maintenance costs will be higher on the 4cyl, but I've never heard of a Jeep that didn't want to empty your wallet after a certain number of miles.
I love the 4 cyl and I expect those maintenance costs to be relatively insignificant compared to the maintenance costs of my wife !:facepalm:

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon

- 2.0 needs spark plugs every 30k miles vs 3.6 every 100k miles

- 2.0 direct injection (carbon deposits) vs 3.6 port injection

- 2.0 premium vs 3.6 regular gas

And there he is. No one would know better than you that it’s been discussed pretty often, you’re always the first one in to post the so called negatives. That is when your not on every other Jeep forum bleating out the same crap.

Some day you might even own a JL....some day. Then you can post about something you actually own. Why are you even here on the JL forums?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I own a 19 JLU Sport S 3.6L...it's in the shop right now.

So I have an August build 2018 JLU Sport as a loaner. 4Cyl with the turbo as well as the auto start feature. 6K miles.

The 4cyl is plenty strong on the roads. Had whole family plus one. Not a single thing to notice as far as being less capable. Nice acceleration as well.

No CHIRP at startup! Can you imagine?!?! Not once not a single chirp.

Also of note, no wandering in the steer. Not an engine issue but great to experience. Now I know how jacked up my steering actually is. Even after the new damper being installed.

Auto start is fun. Not something I'd order but still a nice feature.

So that's it. Nothing earth earth shat to write. Just nice to drive the other engine. I need to go off-road and see how it does but honestly if it's a reliable engine I would have no problem ordering one

Just out of curiosity, did you expect it to be bad? If so, why?

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I drove both and I loved the 4cyl. It's just people not wanting to change with the times. Also, I have not heard maintenance costs will be higher.
For my life 3.6 was better, it has nothing to do with, "not wanting to get with the times." I very much looked into 2.0 (actually wanted Ecodiesel but it isn't available for two-door Wranglers) but the fact my Wrangler is primarily offroad, the last thing I want to worry about a dead non-12v battery, replacing said battery, or ripping off its coolant lines or cable. I keep my vehicles until they die, and then put more life back into it, 3.6 was an obvious choice for me.

I said long ago 2.0 is great on vehicles that mainly stay on pavement and for people who do not keep vehicles for long periods of time. I still haven't changed my mind. If there wasn't a 48v battery on the 2.0 I probably would have went that route.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
And there he is. No one would know better than you that it’s been discussed pretty often, you’re always the first one in to post the so called negatives. That is when your not on every other Jeep forum bleating out the same crap.

Some day you might even own a JL....some day. Then you can post about something you actually own. Why are you even here on the JL forums?
There’s always one douche bag in the mix.

Goat

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler jl sport 2.0
I'm pretty happy with my 2.0, I feel it gets off the line plenty quick enough for a box on wheels, has plenty of torque and gets pretty good mpgs. I was hesitant at first but overall I'm happy with it

Greeser

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl
Why does everybody say direct injection needs a catch can?

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I test drove the 4 b/4 buying the 3.6. I was really impressed with the acceleration and mileage. But they don’t offer it with a manual transmission, so no deal. I was also concerned with a relatively new engine combined with a more turbo. And made by FIAT? I feared waiting for replacement parts from Italy. But it really drove well. I think it is a winner, just not my taste. V6 with 6-Spd for me.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The 2.0T is not an Italian made, Italian parts engine. Early ones were built in Italy, until the US engine manufacturing plant came on line. They are a "GME" (Global Medium Engine) and here to stay. I personally like a Wrangler with a fun, peppy 4 cylinder, goes with the Jeep Heritage.
I do wish a manual transmission had been available, but the 8 spd auto is so good, and I can shift it manually if desired.
Sponsored