Sponsored

3.6L light throttle engine surge

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Just picked up my JL from the dealership. They said they were able to fix the shutter in the transmission.

Here's what I reported to them initially:
"CUSTOMER STATES AROUND 20-30 MPH UNDER LIGHT LOAD ON SLIGHT INCLINE, THERE IS A LIGHT SHUDDER FEELING. IT IS NOT A JOLT OR JERK, VERY LIGHT FEELING IN VEHICLE."

Here's what they wrote on my service report:
"NEEDS 8/9 SPEED TUTORIAL, AND PREFORM QUICK LEARN CHECK OUT CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A LIGHT SHUDDER AROUND 20 TO 30 MPH, MOST OF WHAT IS EXPEIRINCED FEELS LIKE NORMAL SHIFT AND TORQUE CONVERTER OPERATION. PREFORM 8/9 SPEED TUTORIAL, CHECK FLUID CONDITION AND LEVEL. LEVEL IS GOOD AND CONDITION IS GOOD, CHECK FOR PCM TCM SOFTWARE UPDATES. NO UPDATES. PRERFORM SCAN REPORT AND ATTATCH, PREFORM TOPOLOGY REPORT AND AYATCH HAS NO FAULTS, RST ABOVE. 8 PREFORM TRANS QUICK LEARN LO 21580140. AND ADAPTIVE DRIVE LEARN POSECDURE, VEHICLE SHIFTS AND FUNCTIONS AS DESING TEST DRIVE OK. SERVICE ADVISOR ROAD TESTED, SYSTEM OPERATES AS DESIGNED."

Other than the poor grammar and spelling, looks like re-learning (re-tuning) the transmission did the trick. So far I can't feel the shutter. Time will tell, though (glass half empty kind of guy). Hopefully this information will help others who are having a similar issue.

Cheers!
Problem is what if you have a manual transmission like me. Doubt there will be a relearn sequence for us. Mine does a herky jerk shudder at 42 mph in 3rd gear. Irritating.
Sponsored

emdub

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Problem is what if you have a manual transmission like me. Doubt there will be a relearn sequence for us. Mine does a herky jerk shudder at 42 mph in 3rd gear. Irritating.
Sounds like you have a different issue. Mine, and the one primarily discussed in this thread, are for automatics. Good luck getting yours fixed.

OP
OP
Kevin Mojito

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
It's too bad your dealer is not straight with you.
Every 3.6L has this issue. A quick disconnect of the battery will get the jeep back out the door to you. Within a day or 2 it will be right back.
You can put the 8 speed in manual mode and change gears, the surge / buck is still there. Any gear, any rpm, converter locked or unlocked.
Sorry to say.

Just picked up my JL from the dealership. They said they were able to fix the shutter in the transmission.

Here's what I reported to them initially:
"CUSTOMER STATES AROUND 20-30 MPH UNDER LIGHT LOAD ON SLIGHT INCLINE, THERE IS A LIGHT SHUDDER FEELING. IT IS NOT A JOLT OR JERK, VERY LIGHT FEELING IN VEHICLE."

Here's what they wrote on my service report:
"NEEDS 8/9 SPEED TUTORIAL, AND PREFORM QUICK LEARN CHECK OUT CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A LIGHT SHUDDER AROUND 20 TO 30 MPH, MOST OF WHAT IS EXPEIRINCED FEELS LIKE NORMAL SHIFT AND TORQUE CONVERTER OPERATION. PREFORM 8/9 SPEED TUTORIAL, CHECK FLUID CONDITION AND LEVEL. LEVEL IS GOOD AND CONDITION IS GOOD, CHECK FOR PCM TCM SOFTWARE UPDATES. NO UPDATES. PRERFORM SCAN REPORT AND ATTATCH, PREFORM TOPOLOGY REPORT AND AYATCH HAS NO FAULTS, RST ABOVE. 8 PREFORM TRANS QUICK LEARN LO 21580140. AND ADAPTIVE DRIVE LEARN POSECDURE, VEHICLE SHIFTS AND FUNCTIONS AS DESING TEST DRIVE OK. SERVICE ADVISOR ROAD TESTED, SYSTEM OPERATES AS DESIGNED."

Other than the poor grammar and spelling, looks like re-learning (re-tuning) the transmission did the trick. So far I can't feel the shutter. Time will tell, though (glass half empty kind of guy). Hopefully this information will help others who are having a similar issue.

Cheers!

emdub

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It's too bad your dealer is not straight with you.
Every 3.6L has this issue. A quick disconnect of the battery will get the jeep back out the door to you. Within a day or 2 it will be right back.
You can put the 8 speed in manual mode and change gears, the surge / buck is still there. Any gear, any rpm, converter locked or unlocked.
Sorry to say.
Not the case here, but thanks.

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
I have a 2019 Rubicon 2dr, auto that has developed the surge also, Most noticeable at slow speeds 20 to 40 mph. The first 550 miles were pure bliss with tight steering and no problems at all, I will schedule a service with dealer and let you know what they find.
My first thought was Throttle Position sensor, Crank sensor, Cam timing sensor but those would throw a check engine code I assume .

Sponsored

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
There is a software update that fixes the throttle surge issue along with the Loud Fan issue. I had it applied yesterday and its like driving a different vehicle.

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
There is a software update that fixes the throttle surge issue along with the Loud Fan issue. I had it applied yesterday and its like driving a different vehicle.
Good to know, Thanks for the update and will get it in for that ASAP.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have only found 1 thread on this. They have manual trans, I have 8spd auto. Mine is a 19 JLUR

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-low-rpm-1st-gear-uphill-manual-trans.10615/

The symptoms are the same. Light throttle or steady state cruise, getting a bucking / surge / bogging / pumping brake feeling. It could also be described as a straight strong head wind pushing on the front of the Jeep. The easiest way to tell for me is, 1-2* incline ( used off road pages for that info ) try and stay around 25 mph steady. It can't do it. Feels like someone is pumping the gas, or brake pedal. I have tried manual mode, no change. It does the same at rpms from 1300-4000 rpm.Any gear,did not try any higher rpm. Once you know what your feeling, its at any speed ( mph ) or gear. The only thing that seems to be consistent is the rpm 1300-4000 rpm, with light or steady speed.
I have an appointment soon. Hope they have live data stream to find out what's going on.

Anyone else feeling this?

I've got that surging on my 2018 JLUR. If I had to guess, it's the ECU running the engine in a very lean condition. As I also ride the BMW Boxer bikes, having done so since 2014, I also noticed this very same condition on those motors, albeit much less noticeable at very low speeds. The surging on those bikes is due to the fact that the engine is tuned very lean at low rpm. There are a few fixes for it in regards to the bike, however, I suspect the only way to fix that on the Jeep would be via some sort of tune from one of the tuning houses.

Djzjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU; 2021 JLUR

Would you by any chance have the dealer code for that software update so that I can request it when I bring it in?

Thanks!

Sherrman

First Name
Selena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 sahara
What is the dealer code to software update please?

Sponsored

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
is yours a manual or automatic ?

PDQ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Twice???? I have had my 2019 JLU Sahara Automatic to two different dealers per FCA customer service EIGHT, that's 8 times for this very same issues. Worst running vehicle I have ever owned. They, FCA knows what the problem is but for some reason decided not to resolve the issue. They are engineers for gods sake, we put a man on the moon 50 years ago, I believe they could make it right if they wanted too. What a Shame, Shame on you Chrysler. Last FCA product for me, going back to GM, They will at least try. Terrible situation.

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Jerry, I thought you had an update done and were happier. Or did it just do it's thing and run good for a few trips and then rear its ugly head again?

Mine has been a tad better on its own but still annoying as all get-out; and as you say, STILL the worst-running car I have ever owned!. And yeah, that man on the moon? That was fifty years ago, too! I am beginning to wonder whether they could even do again! I hope FCA doesn't build the rocket!
Sponsored