3.6 vs 2.0

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have the 3.6 in a Rubi. Maybe I've become old enough to drive like an old man, but it seems to me that the 3.6 has enough gusto to become unsafe and beyond the safe characteristics of the chassis. Why would I care if it was slightly peppier? I have a 100 watt light bulb in my office and can see everything just fine. Why would I care if there was a 102 watt bulb available?

Now, a truly fast muscle or sports car is a different conversation. They make sense to me because that is the purpose of the vehicle. This entire thread is splitting hairs over two options that are the wrong choice for "fast" anyway. It's like debating which is the best color to paint a square wheel.
Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have the 3.6 in a Rubi. Maybe I've become old enough to drive like an old man, but it seems to me that the 3.6 has enough gusto to become unsafe and beyond the safe characteristics of the chassis. Why would I care if it was slightly peppier? I have a 100 watt light bulb in my office and can see everything just fine. Why would I care if there was a 102 watt bulb available?

Now, a truly fast muscle or sports car is a different conversation. They make sense to me because that is the purpose of the vehicle. This entire thread is splitting hairs over two options that are the wrong choice for "fast" anyway. It's like debating which is the best color to paint a square wheel.
You're absolutely right and it's mind boggling that people are even discussing 0-60 times etc in a 5000 lb vehicle with the aerodynamics of a garbage dumpster designed to be used at 3 mph. Never understood why people like to justify what THEY bought by trying to denigrate what others bought. But that's typical of most all the car forums.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
You're absolutely right and it's mind boggling that people are even discussing 0-60 times etc in a 5000 lb vehicle with the aerodynamics of a garbage dumpster designed to be used at 3 mph. Never understood why people like to justify what THEY bought by trying to denigrate what others bought. But that's typical of most all the car forums.
I hear your point but for me, it's about the power delivery. I have a 3.6 in my Rubi and have driven the 2.0T. Much prefer the power delivery of the 4cyl. You have to wring out the V6 to get meaningful acceleration. With the I4, 2500rpm gets you the acceleration of 3300rpm in the V6 (by my seat of the pants).

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I got bored with the threads about stickers and Christmas lights.

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2019 JLUR
I am getting ready to order a JL and this (engine choice) is the last piece. I am schizophrenic on this and go back and forth every other day. Ah, decisions, decisions - renting a JL from Enterprise next week, will be interesting to see what engine it has.
we have both....... theres no real benefit to the 2.0 unless you stay in town... on hwy at 70 plus mpg is tiny bit better on 3.6..... everywhere else they are tit for tat.... or wait til diesel.......

Sponsored

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the premium gas for the 2.0 was just the naysayers trying to paint it poorly. It’s perfectly happy in factory tune on 87. Jeep even clarified that premium isn’t a requirement

With tunes now coming out for the 2.0 it’s also possible with premium fuel to pickup another 20% or more power which makes the comparison very one sided.

I’ve just done a 700 mile road trip with a chipped 2.0 followed with two days of trails and another 130 miles of pavement today and it’s absolutely fantastic. On the highway it’s got tons of grunt at 85mph and no issues pulling out to pass.
what mileage did you get at those speeds ? i drove from santa fe to austin pretty much 70 mph speed limits whole way... and couldnt get better than upper mid teens mpg..... mostly around 75

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To each their own, I hear it’s a nice engine.

I have owned two turbos over the years. They are fun once they finally kick in.

Personally I love the responsiveness of a “normal” engine.

I love the 3.6 V6 paired with the manual transmission.

One of the major reasons I got my Jeep.
have you driven a 2.0 with etorque ? mine feels like it will tote the dang front wheels if i hammer it off the line..... its crazy.....

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
The fuel economy improvement for in-town driving offered by the 2.0t is very much offset by the significant cost increase for using premium fuel. Around my area, it's at least 50 cents/gal but usually around 70 cents/gal. Assuming you're running the EPA combined mileage, you're actually spending $233 more a year on gas than a 3.6L 6MT with the turbo over 12,000 miles.

I've only put about 1,500 miles on my 3.6L 6MT but I'm averaging 22.5 mpg. No manual offered with a turbo was the dealbreaker for me. But I bet with the auto it's a better daily driver than a V6 with the auto based on how my wife's 2.0t Forester drives. The gearbox in the 6MT is very tall, so I end up having to downshift quite a lot to pass or if traffic slows slightly but I really like the sound of the V6 and the transmission in general aside from the crazy high gearing.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The fuel economy improvement for in-town driving offered by the 2.0t is very much offset by the significant cost increase for using premium fuel. Around my area, it's at least 50 cents/gal but usually around 70 cents/gal. Assuming you're running the EPA combined mileage, you're actually spending $233 more a year on gas than a 3.6L 6MT with the turbo over 12,000 miles.

I've only put about 1,500 miles on my 3.6L 6MT but I'm averaging 22.5 mpg. No manual offered with a turbo was the dealbreaker for me. But I bet with the auto it's a better daily driver than a V6 with the auto based on how my wife's 2.0t Forester drives. The gearbox in the 6MT is very tall, so I end up having to downshift quite a lot to pass or if traffic slows slightly but I really like the sound of the V6 and the transmission in general aside from the crazy high gearing.
I have a JL V6 with the 8-speed automatic. Having owned several JKs before, I have to say the 8-speed transforms the V6 into a peppy, smooth and refined engine.

I drove the Jeep 1,000 miles from UT to WA, at 75 - 85 MPH, and averaged 19.7 MPG for the trip. Can’t really complain given that that’s a pretty good pace, and I never saw anything above 18.5 MPG on a Wrangler before.

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We’re getting 19.3 with the 3.6 non interstate and the motor isn’t broken in yet.
yea my wifes 3.6 rubi jl 2dr.... we got just better than 22 mpg going from santa fe to phoenix... me driving... cutting no slack....

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Bingo.

I was surprised when I saw the numbers today, on this post, on how long it takes the JL to go from 0-60mph. Way faster than I would have thought lol. I never looked up the numbers purposely and never really cared. The Wrangler is designed to tackle off-road terrain at low speeds and that's about it. I don't get people's obsession with having the fastest Jeep or the fastest truck, why don't they just go and buy a muscle car?. And those buying into the BS that you need this much for the highway to pass vehicles and such are just buying into the marketing of bigger engines. My commuter corolla with a 1.8L V4 engine does perfectly fine when I am passing other vehicles on the freeway, all I have to do is shift down one speed and accelerate. So if my corolla does fine, I am sure the Wrangler has more than enough engine for that kind of stuff. I have driven rentals that are smaller than the corolla and yeah there is a point when the car is a slug, like Nissan sentra.

P.S. I am still waiting for my Corolla to start breaking down so I can justify to my wife buying a Tesla. I think I am just gonna have to lie soon, because this thing is probably going to run for at least 10 more years :CWL::CWL::CWL:

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
chevy_gmc_3156bbb79bd6df111bffa03ef0d30d3f50682e48.png