Sponsored

3.6L vs 2.0 turbo?? Pros and cons of both??

JEB-A-RONI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Hi all,
I am new to the JL fam. I currently am a loud and proud owner of a 2005 TJ with the 4 liter straight 6, but recently have been having issues with it (body rust as I live on the East Coast) and have ultimately decided to put it up for sale and purchase a newer Jeep. I will be outright buying this "new" Jeep, so I can only afford a 2018 or 2019, not a brand new 2020 or 2021. I know that I for sure want a Rubicon. The thing that I am stuck on is which engine to get. I have been hearing great things about the new turbo, but I really don't know what to do.

My question is: Should I get one with a 3.6L or the 2.0 Turbo? What are the pros and cons to both? My primary concern is longevity, I want to keep this Jeep for a long time and have the least possible issues with it. Which engine would be in closest comparison (I know neither one is the same at all) to the 4.0 in the TJ's?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
I was also the proud owner of a TJ, however a few years older, mine was a 1997. I loved that Jeep and put a lot of blood sweat and tears into it. I loved the 4.0L straight six and it served me well. Partially due to my attachment to the 6 cylinder, I elected for the 3.6L in my 2019. However the primary deciding factor was the if I wanted a manual transmission I only had one choice. The MT was a non-negotiable for me. Iā€˜m super happy with the 3.6 so far. Iā€™ve got about 15,000 miles on it so far and it performs great, even with 37ā€ tires on it. My recommendation is the 3.6 with a MT.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
The 3.6 is a solid engine, and used in a variety of Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep vehicles, for many years. Now, if it were me, and all you want is something to 4wheel in, keep the TJ, and fix any issues with it with your spare money. I loved my old 1998 TJ Sport Manual 4.0. I still like the JL, it is just that it has many little issues, that bug the crap out of me.

OP
OP

JEB-A-RONI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ
The 3.6 is a solid engine, and used in a variety of Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep vehicles, for many years. Now, if it were me, and all you want is something to 4wheel in, keep the TJ, and fix any issues with it with your spare money. I loved my old 1998 TJ Sport Manual 4.0. I still like the JL, it is just that it has many little issues, that bug the crap out of me.
Yeah I totally get what you're saying. I would absolutely fix my TJ up (I do believe it's the best generation of wranglers), but it is primarily my daily driver and there is just so much wrong with it. I am just so tired of the headaches this thing gives me. Plus, I wouldn't mind the newer tech in the JL's lol.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
My question is: Should I get one with a 3.6L or the 2.0 Turbo? What are the pros and cons to both? My primary concern is longevity, I want to keep this Jeep for a long time and have the least possible issues with it. Which engine would be in closest comparison (I know neither one is the same at all) to the 4.0 in the TJ's?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!!
3.6 for sure but if you want to be able to drive something forever, go for an older simpler model Wrangler than a newer one. If the TJ doesn't cut it, get a JK. The JL with all of the electronics it has, you'd be forever at the mercy of the dealership and eventually it'll get very expensive.

Sponsored

msdesignltd

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler Recon unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I am 3 months into a Rubi 4 door Recon..
Only one thing to say about the hybrid version..
even though the 0 to 60 is about 6.5 secs.
This engine has the zero to 30 of a much more powerful package.
Its that right off the line giddy jump that puts a smile on my face every time.
There is no mistaking the electric torque contribution here.
It is still inconceivable that each cylinder is only 500 cc's
Yet it is never lacking for thrust..The turbo is invisible as well..
and the whole package never shows signs of being taxed..just always there.
Viva la Alfa Romeo
I am sold!

OP
OP

JEB-A-RONI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ
I was also the proud owner of a TJ, however a few years older, mine was a 1997. I loved that Jeep and put a lot of blood sweat and tears into it. I loved the 4.0L straight six and it served me well. Partially due to my attachment to the 6 cylinder, I elected for the 3.6L in my 2019. However the primary deciding factor was the if I wanted a manual transmission I only had one choice. The MT was a non-negotiable for me. Iā€˜m super happy with the 3.6 so far. Iā€™ve got about 15,000 miles on it so far and it performs great, even with 37ā€ tires on it. My recommendation is the 3.6 with a MT.
Yeah I heard the manual only came in the 3.6. I wonder how many people would have bought the 2,0 if it came in manual. To be honest, I have been leaning towards the 3.6, but just wanted some thoughts on it. Thank you for the reply! Also, how do you like 37's? Are they any good on the road for daily driving?

OP
OP

JEB-A-RONI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ
3.6 for sure but if you want to be able to drive something forever, go for an older simpler model Wrangler than a newer one. If the TJ doesn't cut it, get a JK. The JL with all of the electronics it has, you'd be forever at the mercy of the dealership and eventually it'll get very expensive.
Yes that is one thing I don't look forward to. As much as I would like auto windows and locks and what not, more tech just means more things to break and pay for down the road. And dealerships are just money pits charging an arm and a leg.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The 3.6 has been around a long time. But it also has a craptatic ESS system and, for 2021, I think it has an Etorque Variant too.

the 2.0 has ess for 2021 which is likely the same craptatic implementation as the 3.6.

the 2.0 is a nice engine. The 3.6 is a nice engine. The both have crapatatic ess. Take your pick. Both will be fine (except for the ess).

i donā€™t know enough about the 3.6 etorque to comment.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
welcome to the forum and congrats on looking / getting a jl. the 4.0 i6 is a great motor and proven it self in the longevity of the motor.

as for your question, this topic have been asked and battled. use the search feature and read on. i have 2 door sport base model jl with the 3.6 and 8 speed auto. with 10k miles on the clock. imo i believe this is a great combo as for hp/ tq/ mpg. just like you, i'm a long term ownership and plan on keeping the jl for a long time. so i choose the 3.6 due to the reliability, longevity and low maintenance of the motor.

the 2.0 runs a turbo. with that the turbo is a "questionable" factor as to maintenance and reliability. i never bother to look at the 2.0 due to being too new in to the wrangler motor line up.

so, you will need to go and test drive both motors and see what you like. as to what you mentioned in the first post, your most likely you will go with the 3.6 due to long ownership. as for the tranny thats a whole other topic. and as i mentioned, i have the 8spd and by far its the best setup.

Sponsored

dspilman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Door 3.6L Manual, 1997 TJ Sport 2-Door 4.0L Manual;
Occupation
Architect
Yeah I heard the manual only came in the 3.6. I wonder how many people would have bought the 2,0 if it came in manual. To be honest, I have been leaning towards the 3.6, but just wanted some thoughts on it. Thank you for the reply! Also, how do you like 37's? Are they any good on the road for daily driving?
itā€™s my daily driver (30 min each way to work, pre covi), now she sits at home waiting to hit the trails on the weekends since Im working from home. Very happy with the Cooper STTs, Not too loud on the road, and I havenā€™t found a rock they wonā€™t crawl over yet. plus they are made in the good ol US of A! Canā€™t recommend highly enough !

OP
OP

JEB-A-RONI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ
welcome to the forum and congrats on looking / getting a jl. the 4.0 i6 is a great motor and proven it self in the longevity of the motor.

as for your question, this topic have been asked and battled. use the search feature and read on. i have 2 door sport base model jl with the 3.6 and 8 speed auto. with 10k miles on the clock. imo i believe this is a great combo as for hp/ tq/ mpg. just like you, i'm a long term ownership and plan on keeping the jl for a long time. so i choose the 3.6 due to the reliability, longevity and low maintenance of the motor.

the 2.0 runs a turbo. with that the turbo is a "questionable" factor as to maintenance and reliability. i never bother to look at the 2.0 due to being too new in to the wrangler motor line up.

so, you will need to go and test drive both motors and see what you like. as to what you mentioned in the first post, your most likely you will go with the 3.6 due to long ownership. as for the tranny thats a whole other topic. and as i mentioned, i have the 8spd and by far its the best setup.
Exactly! I feel like the 2.0 is just a bit too questionable and skeptical for my liking at this moment in time. Maybe in a few years once people start getting 100,000 miles on the dash we will be able to see how it holds up.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L vs 2.0 turbo?? Pros and cons of both?? D34DC077-FE00-40C9-AE66-AFBC0C3E3A52

Honestly this is a sensitive topic for some. I would search ā€œ2.0 3.6 JLWranglerforumā€ on google and youā€™ll have plenty of opinions to read from. Personally I donā€™t think youā€™ll go wrong with either choice. Test drive each and see what you enjoy.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Exactly! I feel like the 2.0 is just a bit too questionable and skeptical for my liking at this moment in time. Maybe in a few years once people start getting 100,000 miles on the dash we will be able to see how it holds up.
true. the only thing about that is most of the 2.0 owners are short time owners or leased runs. so it hard to tell how they were run as far as gas octane, etc. i'm a firm believer that running smaller size motors in a 4500+# vehicle tends to "struggle" or the motor have to run harder to pull the weight. the 3.6 will handle the jl very well.
Sponsored