20,000 mile oil changes

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
You have to get out to road tracks and drive harder! All kidding aside it's hard to wear our the front tires aside from the track, you just can't put enough load on them safely on the street to really match the rears.
I once took a brand new Crown Vic to evoc (emergency vehicle operator course), and separated the front tire tread from the casing in about 20 miles of driving. We drove in a fairgrounds parking lot which is also used for auto cross. The surface is a little rough. Perhaps my 14 years of experience in road racing was what killed the tires though, lol. Before the day started, my sergeant told me what car to take. I told him that thing is brand new and hasn’t even hit the streets yet. He asked me if I was arguing with him. No sir, I’ll try to kill that one. Ironically just last year I seized the motor in our last crown vic too. Boo, sad sad day.
Sponsored

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
I just realized that I don’t really have any pics of my old truck. This is the best one I could find. I had just washed it and had taken the center caps out to polish the wheels. But Texas Truck and Texas Tough for sure!

8430587C-20BB-40E7-999E-2C75B916F46E.jpeg
exactly what I'm looking for, for a tow vehicle! Man, wished I'd been there when trading yours in !!!

OP
OP
TA1ton

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@Biscuit; I know a few a guys going longer than recommended on oil and they’ve never had problems...never had the oil analysis either. So hearing from others that have had or have knowledge of the oil analysis that it’s definitely ok to go longer is very reassuring...

@Tacoman03; sorry buddy...if only I had known...I’d have given you a good deal! Lol! It really was a great truck though...leather, aftermarket stereo, power everything. It had 3:90 gears in the rear...so it pulled really well and wasn’t a pig on gas.

tanyet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC
I've always enjoyed a good oil debate. I used to hang out at www.bobistheoilguy.com back in the day. Some very serious folks over there.

What I took away from that site and other research was

1. Use a quality synthetic oil
2. First oil change at 100 miles, second at 500 miles, and third at 1k miles
3. After initial changes, change oil between 5k and 8k miles
4. You can go much longer than 8k if the vehicle is not being cold cranked often or if it stays at operating temperature most of the time (taxi cabs, cargo vans, large trucks etc...)

Just my .02

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Must have been with a service, $150 is what I pay for 9 quarts of mobil 1 and a filter

They charge to reset the computer, safety inspection and for the time on the rack. They say it takes 45 minutes to drain all the oil. In Chicago it's about $275 at a independent shop that specializes in Porsche.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Something to consider as far as maintenance between each engine. I wonder if the 2.0 and 3.6 have similar oil change intervals? I would think the 2.0 Turbo might be a little harder on oil? The 2.0 definitely requires plugs more often. I think FCA recommends 100K mile intervals for plugs on the 3.6. and 60,000 miles on the 2.0 turbo?
With a turbo and especially direct injection, it will be harder on oil. That said, the newest oils are designed to better handle it. Fuel dillution is what DI engines are known for. I'm looking forward to someone posting a used oil analysis for the 2.0 after at least a few thousand miles.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With a turbo and especially direct injection, it will be harder on oil. That said, the newest oils are designed to better handle it. Fuel dillution is what DI engines are known for. I'm looking forward to someone posting a used oil analysis for the 2.0 after at least a few thousand miles.
Btw, my Ford Transit's 3.5 Ecoboost has shown high fuel dillution, but seems just fine otherwise. I run it to 10k miles, which is about where the oil life monitor lands. The oil is still serviceable at that point. (Mobil 1 EP 5w30). That engine pulls around a 15 passenger van full of kids and their friends, every day, in mostly city driving. If that oil can take this, then certainly a reputable high quality oil can handle that 2.0 for 5k to 7k miles. Easily.

OP
OP
TA1ton

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW; that’s great info for turbo owners...I think the underlying theme throughout all of this is a QUALITY oil *EDIT: and a QUALITY filter*...not the cheap stuff. Spend a little more on the fluid...reap the rewards down the road!

Last edited:

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
@DanW; that’s great info for turbo owners...I think the underlying theme throughout all of this is a QUALITY oil...not the cheap stuff. Spend a little more on the fluid...reap the rewards down the road!
Just a reminder that the filter is even more important as long as the oil meets the minimum requirements. I see a lot of talk on oil and very little on filters.
The high output high hp I work with can have the oil go for 500,000 miles with very special filtering systems.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/qsol/products/newparts/centinel.html
Obviously those are not our engines, but stresses the importance of the filter.

What filter are you using?

Sponsored

OP
OP
TA1ton

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@Torero; this is a good point and an interesting link. With a system like that, most of us wouldn’t ever have to change oil...just filters! According to Mobil 1’s testing from the video...they found that high quality filters could easily handle the 20,000 mile interval. The only thing they had to change was the O-ring on the filter itself...they found that they needed a heavy duty O-ring. Of course if your vehicle use falls into the severe side of things...oil and filter changes would be required more frequently.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
@Torero; this is a good point and an interesting link. With a system like that, most of us wouldn’t ever have to change oil...just filters! According to Mobil 1’s testing from the video...they found that high quality filters could easily handle the 20,000 mile interval. The only thing they had to change was the O-ring on the filter itself...they found that they needed a heavy duty O-ring. Of course if your vehicle use falls into the severe side of things...oil and filter changes would be required more frequently.
Absolutely, Mobil, Fram and others have the option of higher quality filters. When I did my first oil change in the JL all I could find was the Mopar filter at auto zone. Is there a better one?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a reminder that the filter is even more important as long as the oil meets the minimum requirements. I see a lot of talk on oil and very little on filters.
The high output high hp I work with can have the oil go for 500,000 miles with very special filtering systems.
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/qsol/products/newparts/centinel.html
Obviously those are not our engines, but stresses the importance of the filter.

What filter are you using?
Fram Ultra Guard. It has single pass efficiency of 99% down to 20 microns. According to a Fram engineer on Bitog, it has about 5x the flow rate specified for the Pentastar, so it is less likely to go into bypass, and it is rated to 20k miles, although I'll never go there.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Did my JL's first oil change at 11,300 miles. Thats when it said to...

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
Did my JL's first oil change at 11,300 miles. Thats when it said to...
Bob, condolences to your family. Going to miss meeting you at Hot Springs this weekend.
Wow, 11k before it told you to?
Sponsored