DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep recommends, not requires API certification.
You are right. Just read the OM. It does say recommend.

Still, I'd stick with at least the recommended API certifications.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
Mobil 1 FS 0w-40 and Mobil 1 FS 5w50 that lists API but not certified.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FIFY

PS. I use Amsoil in my Harley. They make good stuff, it's just not worth the premium they charge for it. It isn't magic, it's oil.
I like it for the warranted double the OEM mileage/1 year which makes it worth it especially at wholesale at under $10 a quart. I sell a lot to Harley Davidson Dealerships.

Last edited:

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bulk oils? You mean oils that are constantly mixed, brands/types are changed based upon price, with minimum controls in place for storage--those oils failed API testing?

Wow--big surprise there. Are you really trying to use this to make a point there are major manufacturers with oil lines that fail API certifications? If so, your argument is an epic fail and hardly worthy of consideration.
API did the study, and now have new policies in effect based on the results.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Wow...you take the deflection and obfuscation to a whole new level. OK; I will play.

First you post a link to the PDS for Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 which is API certified, then a few minutes ago, you change it to the PDS for Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30.

And...for the first time, you will agree on something--Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 is not API certified. However, there is a VERY good reason for it not to be. This oil is not made for the US market, it is made for Europe and therefore would not have to be API certified.

Here is the link that you posted (https://www.mobil.com/en-FI/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-1-ESP-0W30) and here is a snapshot from it:

Jeep Wrangler JL Performing Own Oil Changes {filename}

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
API did the study, and now have new policies in effect based on the results.
Flat out BS. You are attempting to twist something to validate your point. Show me any reputable source that proves that major oil manufacturers have BOTTLED oils (since Amsoil does not sell bulk oil--let us keep this apples to apples) that have failed API certification.

Also post the policies that were changed as a result of this.

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mobil 1 FS 0w-40 and Mobil 1 FS 5w50 that lists API but not certified.
Show me where Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is not API certified.

Sure has the API donut on it plain as day with an SN designation:

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow...you take the deflection and obfuscation to a whole new level. OK; I will play.

First you post a link to the PDS for Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 which is API certified, then a few minutes ago, you change it to the PDS for Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30.

And...for the first time, you will agree on something--Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 is not API certified. However, there is a VERY good reason for it not to be. This oil is not made for the US market, it is made for Europe and therefore would not have to be API certified.

Here is the link that you posted (https://www.mobil.com/en-FI/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-1-ESP-0W30) and here is a snapshot from it:

Here is the US one https://www.mobil.com/en-us/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/na-xx-mobil-1-esp-0w30

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Show me where Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is not API certified.

Sure has the API donut on it plain as day with an SN designation:

Yep, I've got that oil sitting in my garage waiting to go into a Mercedes. Has the certification.

The fact is, most oils, other than maybe a few niche weights or specialized oils, are API certified. That's not a great defense for Amsoil not certifiying the weights that most cars use in their top tier oil and then charging a premium for it.
You gotta look very hard under some rocks to find oils by major brands sold for the US automobile market that are not API certified.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The fact that it meets ACEA C3 only indicates that it was not developed for the US market and could simply mean they have not attempted to have it API certified. With that said, I will agree with you that it is not API certified. With that also said, one minor offering in Mobil's ENTIRE line not being API certified is hardly any defense for the statements that you have made.

All done here; you are free to continue your sales pitches and deflection. By now, everyone can make up their own minds as to your facts about Amsoil versus other oils.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The fact that it meets ACEA C3 only indicates that it was not developed for the US market and could simply mean they have not attempted to have it API certified. With that said, I will agree with you that it is not API certified. With that also said, one minor offering in Mobil's ENTIRE line not being API certified is hardly any defense for the statements that you have made.

All done here; you are free to continue your sales pitches and deflection. By now, everyone can make up their own minds as to your facts about Amsoil versus other oils.
Here is another. https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/NA-XX-Mobil-1-ESP-Formula-0W40 And another one https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-1-Formula-M-5W40 .

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The fact that it meets ACEA C3 only indicates that it was not developed for the US market and could simply mean they have not attempted to have it API certified. With that said, I will agree with you that it is not API certified.
Diesel and European. One is GM approved and one Mercedes approved. Not typical oils for American gasoline passenger cars.